Freq Splitting Question

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
Hi everyone,

I've recently begun to shed my shell of laziness and have been trying more advanced techniques of late that I found to be too much work. Because of Icicle's bass tutorial I have finally seen the light of why freq splitting is so amazing (not just in DnB or Dubstep but in all genres I work in).

My question here is: Is is advisable/ok to recombine/compress/EQ these split freq's back together via an additional bus? I've always heard about freq splitting and how to achieve separating the frequencies from one another, but I have never heard anything about the tail end of the process.

Example of what I've been doing:
(Working with Logic Express)

I have my sound that I want to split, complete with it's own beginning process line. I bring the channel fader down to -∞ and send the sound out to the 3 or so buses I've selected for splitting via pre-fader out. I split using Low, Hi and Bandpass filters and then select whatever other effects I desire to be on that particular frequency of the sound and mix their levels to taste. Afterwards, I change the output of the buses from "Stereo Out" to another bus where I compress and maybe EQ/add other light or subtle effects.

Is this an ok/common thing to do or no? I have a feeling I'm going to be told that it is a matter of preference.

Last edited:
It is mostly a matter of preference as you think.

But keep in mind the rules of compression - if you want something to cut through, don't compress it too much. If you want a sub layer to really pound it's way through, don't compress it with the mid and tops layer, that will take away some of it's energy. If you can achieve a good balance by compressing them together then by all means go for it. If you can manage it right, it can work as the adhesive that glues the layers together.

Mostly I buss things back together just for the matter of controlling them all with a single filter for simpler cutoff automations etc., like sweeping all the layers up in an intro with one filter instead of automating 2 or 3 different filters to go up. It's also easier to handle the overall level with 1 single fader. So it's more a convenience thing to me.

thanks, control was the reason I had done that in the first place myself then I had started to mess around with the EQ and compression and such to some success.

Back
Top Bottom