First attempt - WIP

DigitalDevil

Hello guys

I had yesterday backache and I couldn't go out so I tried to make something (first real attempt ...).

The subbass is pretty bad (I tried to play around with side chaining...). The melody was too repetitive so I used more than one. I don't know if it's the right word, but the "transition"/crossing of the melodies was difficult and I didn't have any idea how I could accomplish it.

I'm searching good VSTs for reverb/distortion/spectrum analysis so I would be happy, if you could recommend me some.

Give me some feedback, thanks.

Last edited:
Ok a few things here: First of all, congratulations on your first track and your English is very understandable.
About the track: Drums: good samples , but they need some filling in between them. Try chopping up some breaks and layer them on top of your current drum track. Maybe add some ride samples or something to accentuate different pieces.
Subbass: I think (I'm not sure) you did something wrong here, I think the subbass in the whole song is just one note? You have to make it move with your chords (mostly the bottom note of your chord) , because now it interferes with the notes from your melody and sidechaining wont help that.

Transitioning between melodies: Try fading in new instruments : Make them play a note before their part comes and gradually increase in their volume, this will accustom the listener to the new instrument before it begins. Another thing you might want to try is reversing a cymbal of some sort so it basically makes the ssshshsh sound. This will make the user aware that a new sound is coming in the mix.
`
Hope that helps you a little , and keep up the good work!
(If you don't understand what I said, feel free to ask for a different formulation (; )

Nice post horace, good that people here appreciate and give tips for beginners. POSREP!

EDIT: gave it a fast listen, add some hihats

Ok a few things here: First of all, congratulations on your first track and your English is very understandable.
About the track: Drums: good samples , but they need some filling in between them. Try chopping up some breaks and layer them on top of your current drum track. Maybe add some ride samples or something to accentuate different pieces.
Subbass: I think (I'm not sure) you did something wrong here, I think the subbass in the whole song is just one note? You have to make it move with your chords (mostly the bottom note of your chord) , because now it interferes with the notes from your melody and sidechaining wont help that.

Transitioning between melodies: Try fading in new instruments : Make them play a note before their part comes and gradually increase in their volume, this will accustom the listener to the new instrument before it begins. Another thing you might want to try is reversing a cymbal of some sort so it basically makes the ssshshsh sound. This will make the user aware that a new sound is coming in the mix.
`
Hope that helps you a little , and keep up the good work!
(If you don't understand what I said, feel free to ask for a different formulation (; )

Hey, thank you very very much for your feedback! Means a lot for me!
I will add a/some drum sample(s) to give it more depth. And haha, yes you're right about the subbass. I was pretty impatient and I wanted another opinion before I go on so I added in a rush one. About the transition: Thank you, I will try it, but do you think that it is even a good idea to use many melodies? Most of the DnB songs that I hear use just one melody and they go well with it.
The fact that you wrote has saved my day, so yeah, you helped a lot.

Nice post horace, good that people here appreciate and give tips for beginners. POSREP!

EDIT: gave it a fast listen, add some hihats

I've seen some drumpattern with pretty much hi hats so I tried to keep it a discreet. Should I use more hi hats than on 0:23 f.e.?

Thank you for your answers! ^^

Last edited:
I find it a little bit wandering, without really getting somewhere. It could be a bit more loopy, or have more repetition in it. The melody has a lot of notes which to me make it feel quite random, I would prefer something shorter and simpler. That's just my tastes by the way.
Also, some shakers or hihats playing quickly in the background would help fill it out and propel the tune along.

Back
Top Bottom