Ed rush and Optical (wormhole era) Drums

c_bags

Hello,

Ok so I have always tried to make my drums with synthesis and individual hits. Now I want to learn how to do the do the classic chopping up a funk break, in particular the Ed rush and Optical wormhole style. I take it they used funk breaks processed with some nice outboard eq's and compressors. What i was wondering is do you chop up all the individual hits and than arrange them into your own grove processing indivdually or would pitch up to 175 bpm and cut into larger sections to keep the original groove. I have a handful of funk breaks and i think i should be able to add some nice processing but i can't really get my head round the whole chopping/pitching/groove thing. If any one could give me simple run down of what you think would make some nice wormhole style drums that would be amazing or links to tutorials. Also if i could get some names of same classic funk breaks that isn't the amen that would be amazing

Thanks,

There's a few videos on YouTube called something like "classic DNB and hip hop breaks" which lists and plays snips of all those classic bits. It's a great place to start as you can really narrow down what break you might be hunting.

As for chopping etc, its all relative. You might want that original timbre or pitch of the break to delver the punch and weight for the track through the kicks and snares etc. but then you might want to layer another break pitched up a lot to give it some roll.

I'd generally converter the original break to a sampler patch (chopping each hit) and from there you can process parts individually and make the choice whether to keep the original flavour or pitch up/down/manipulate how you want.

Of course you can leave the original as the whole wav and just play around chopping individual hits and shuffles etc from there. There aren't any hard and fast rules. Just go with what sounds good and works for you.

do you chop up all the individual hits and than arrange them into your own grove processing indivdually or would pitch up to 175 bpm and cut into larger sections to keep the original groove

Why not try both? You can get good results with both methods, so learn each. Otherwise you're depriving yourself of half of the production techniques.

Cool, Cheers for the responses guys. Guess I just have to do a bit more experimenting and see what works.

If u use ableton, you can take a drum loop and slice it to a new midi track according to the transients and then re-edit them via midi to drum rack as u want. The same concept of Dr Rex in reason

Back
Top Bottom