Echo...... echo....

jimjimjim

oldskool
VIP Junglist
Hi,
Was wondering which techniques people use to get a good repeating delay that doesnt fade away or get too powerfull.
Some tunes will have a delay on something that just keeps going. Maybe a vocal that repeats and repeats
I'm using reason and if i want to put a delay on something and have it keep repeating i find the volume goes down or goes way to high.

Tried compression but dont think thats enough.
Was thinking about sampling the echo and putting it back in but that sounds fiddly.
Any tips?
thanks

like in Breakage - Together? I would like to know how to do this aswell

I supose you could just repeat the sample over an over again on the track at a lower volume

use an echo plugin to get a real echo sound, bounce the sound down as audio. cut it down to the original hit and one hit of the echo. copy that first echo hit and paste as necessary. this will make it easy to bring back the occasional original hit somewhere. that's what i would do, i just prefer the control of audio files when possible.

im also interested in achieving this. like u said u could do it looping the section of the sample u want to echo, that can be done in the nnxt advanced sampler with loop start and loop end and play mode. then u could automate the frequency cut off and volume and add reverb?

there must be a better way tho...

use an echo plugin to get a real echo sound, bounce the sound down as audio. cut it down to the original hit and one hit of the echo. copy that first echo hit and paste as necessary. this will make it easy to bring back the occasional original hit somewhere. that's what i would do, i just prefer the control of audio files when possible.

pretty much what i do... but to get that repeating sound i try a bit of delay and reverb together?

thanks for the tips.
i think sampling the echo and putting it back in the trak sounds like the right way to go then.
thanks all rounds. will have a play on it tonight

I've tried to create this effect. I couldn't figure it out easily in reason.

Anyway, you can use a delay effect while you fade out volume, throw a tiny tiny bit of reverb in there. Or use the NNXT like the other guy suggested, the NNXT allows you better control control of the sample.

Tape delays, boncing ball delays...

Or manual echos by repeating the sample at a lower volume each time. Then you can highpass the echo or something sick like that!

yeh man set ur delay to delay on 8th notes or summin and whack the feedback up, should go on and on and on and on and on :D

i just repeat the sample by copy pasting (edit: and automating the volume down.) and put a delay really dry in the background and a little reverb to fill the space between samples. i guess you could do it with a 50 - 60 % wet delay but it usually doesn't get the desired effect.

Last edited:
Just need to get the feedback right...

this

set ur feedback to the desired level to keep the vocal floating about, u can also automate the feedback and/or delay amount to have more control on when exactly u want it to drop off

set the feedback off the delay unit to 100 or whatever the top level is
then when you want the vocal to drop away just automate the feedback down again,
personally i prefer using audio to create delays but on reason that can be abit of an annoyance to do

Back
Top Bottom