Drums in Reason 4

Welsh Junglist

AKA Faqade
VIP Junglist
I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with making drum loops in Reason 4. I'm having a bit of trouble making my drum loops sound 'meaty'. I'm usually pretty happy with the patterns of the drums but they sound proper tinny and was just wondering what I can do with them apart from using the Scream 4 distortion. I have also tried the Mastering Suite but they still sound a bit poor:-/. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

i find i jus turn up the vulome or layer em!lol
check my tunes out most of em wer made on reason 4

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with making drum loops in Reason 4. I'm having a bit of trouble making my drum loops sound 'meaty'. I'm usually pretty happy with the patterns of the drums but they sound proper tinny and was just wondering what I can do with them apart from using the Scream 4 distortion. I have also tried the Mastering Suite but they still sound a bit poor:-/. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers in advance!

get your self some good drum kits dont just use the reason built in one its quite shit

i wouldnt recomend using the scream lol i find my own samples (dont use the presets) then create a unique sounding kit and make sure u use a little panning for ur hi hats and velocity is very important sum times i will save the beat patch then get another redrum up and wack a vocoder with it modulated by a synth and put it in the back round with a tad of reverb give a wicked effect and fills those drums out nicely
also try to find interesting sounds that people havnt used before so people will be more curious to listen to ur beatz

-(Dj-Dusty)-

compression helps bring the break together making smaller sounds equal with loud parts.

your hats will sort of suck n blow with your kik and snare

you may need monitors to here the slight changes

i personaly still use the old comp - 01

ratio 70 - 80
thesh 0
attack 0
release 30 - 60- this is the key to sucktion - move slowly between the values
hope this helps man

theres many ways to do it but i like too chop breaks up, this is one of the ways i do it.... (i use fruity so things will be a but different for you but the principles are the same)

i'll start with the what i call the backbone... a simple break, with lots of body (examples: ike turners "funky mule", banbarras "shack up")

then chop a break that will go nicely with it, generally something with more high snappy snares in it, all depends on your first break

then i may add more, usually a nice cymbaly ridey break (examples: kurtis blows "do the do", ralph carmichaels "addicts psalm") and high pass them

then i'll distort... i may distort one of them, i may distort all of them depends how i feel, i hardly ever let the drums drown in distortion, be sure to let a fair amount dry signal through or you will lose all the dynamics and punch. and dont limit your self to one distortion unit, theres loads out there and they all have theyre own characteristics.

after that theres many things i'll do, including compression, if im compressing the whole break with one compressor i'll use a multiband compressor, but i find its better to split the kicks, snares and other stuff to different fx tracks and the EQ and compress the individually

Back
Top Bottom