Drum and Bass Theory?

no offense meant by this, but i find it funny when people say they dont know how to write structures. its like they dont listen to music. Every track youve listend to in your life has given you an example of structure, but you cant remember how they did it !! must of been magic!! or maybe they could count to 16...

Last edited:
no offense meant by this, but i find it funny when people say they dont know how to write structures. its like they dont listen to music. Every track youve listend to in your life has given you an example of structure, but you cant remember how they did it !! must of been magic!! or maybe they could count to 16...

Yeah i understand your frustration completely by questions like this, but i didnt mean to use stuff like that as an example, makes me come across as a right bell.

Im finding it really hard trying to explain what i mean, lol, so i may just give up asking, haha.

4.jpg

my advice to noobs is that if you can pull off the following three elements youre well on your way already, if you can hammer out
1. a fat break,
2. a good sub bassline and
3. a string section,

if you can get those three right, youre well on your way. so get a funk break or drummachine sounds, whatevers your preference really, and hammer out a fat break with lots of variations and edits and structure and so forth, get a good deep and above all long subbassline going and a string section with at least three chords. make that happen and you will have around 1:45 and a great ground work for a tune.

dont get hung up on how to noisia bass or pendulum snare or clipz or garth brooks whoever the fk that is if you cant even get the break and the sub going. crawl before you run. listen to the music all the time, listen and study it constantly, there is plenty to be learned by listening to songs you like. i know im stating the obvious here but i know how mislead ive been constantly through my artistic process over the years by just focusing on the wrong things.

This is good advice. Also by focusing on the raw basics your personal sound should naturally come out in the tune.

Yeah i understand your frustration completely by questions like this, but i didnt mean to use stuff like that as an example, makes me come across as a right bell.

Im finding it really hard trying to explain what i mean, lol, so i may just give up asking, haha.

hey sorry man :) dont take it personally. my mate always tells me he "cant" do structure and it fucks me off to no end!!

What is the difference between jungle and drum an bass anyway???

Much more complicated drum patterns in jungle. Drum and bass generally has very straightforward drum patterns. Also, jungle tends to have simpler basslines, where as drum and bass often has complicated lines with a lot of modulation. There are always exceptions to every rule tho, and others will no doubt have other definitions too.

good description there innovine, there is no clear line between jungle and dnb but jungle is very distinctive in terms of breaks, basslines and tempos

hey dude
if your still looking i can recomend a couple of books that i'm reading from...

The dance music manual - huge book with lots on production and goes a little bit into the musical theory side but mainly focus's on the theory side of compression ect

and

Music theory for computer musicians - Great book and goes indepth into all aspects of music theory as the title suggests.

hope i've helped

Mate.. I purchased from Amazon:

Music Theory in Practice: Grade 1 & 2
Chord Progression for Keyboard Players
Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Bob Katz

Its been a great help in learning the basics. The mastering Audio book is a lot more advanced and more scientific. But all a great point of reference at most levels in music production.

Much more complicated drum patterns in jungle. Drum and bass generally has very straightforward drum patterns. Also, jungle tends to have simpler basslines, where as drum and bass often has complicated lines with a lot of modulation. There are always exceptions to every rule tho, and others will no doubt have other definitions too.
Not that simple. It could be described as being an ancestor, a sub-genre and the same thing!

On the original topic I can the posters point. Lots of info is available on how to create a 16 bar loop but not much on how to turn it into an (interesting) track. But as stated previously best advice is to listen to tracks and analyse how they change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom