Drum and Bass Culture

That is one of the most pretentious things I've heard on this forum. You sound like a bit of a knob.

I never liked c+s enough to feel alienated that they changed, and my tastes change as better music gets made.

The thing is, every artist 'grows,' but it doesn't make the music better. Yes the production value may be better, but I dislike the concept of putting production over musicality. As chase and status 'grew' the music went downhill bar a few tracks. I don't hate on chase and status anyway, I've got a few 12"s of theirs.

fair enough, and yea that was a bit pretentious of me, but sometimes a little pretentiousness helps further an argument in this case it helped me understand your argument better; thank you, and I understand and respect it. My personal opinion is that their newer stuff is a bit better both musically speaking and production wise; but its only my opinion.

fair enough, and yea that was a bit pretentious of me, but sometimes a little pretentiousness helps further an argument in this case it helped me understand your argument better; thank you, and I understand and respect it. My personal opinion is that their newer stuff is a bit better both musically speaking and production wise; but its only my opinion.

It is better production wise, and is some cases musically, but its lost a lot in term of feel. I don't even know why I'm talking c+s with you, I don't listen to them enough. Its dancefloor music, nothing more.

That is one of the most pretentious things I've heard on this forum. You sound like a bit of a knob.

I never liked c+s enough to feel alienated that they changed, and my tastes change as better music gets made.

The thing is, every artist 'grows,' but it doesn't make the music better. Yes the production value may be better, but I dislike the concept of putting production over musicality. As chase and status 'grew' the music went downhill bar a few tracks. I don't hate on chase and status anyway, I've got a few 12"s of theirs.

THIS RIGHT HERE!

I love my Drum and Bass, as some will know I've been into it from the start. I'm for the Darkside but I have appreciation for all the sub-genres.

My only gripe with the scene is that people are tending to place more importance on production instead of the music. I heard DJ Hype say the same in an interview. The other day I posted a 15 year old track by DJ Trace which was an absolute Techstep classic. Some kid turns up and says "That reece sounds like shit. It sounds like a FL preset" WTF??!!!

Sometimes people get over technical with tunes and start commenting on things as small as a high hat or a cymbal.

yea I hear that, you def. have to take technical shit in context too...I mean some electronic music from a certain era is gonna sound a little dated because of where technology is; the music is the key in the long run; but with all the bedroom producers that sprung up in the 00s you have to set the bar somewhere to be able to sift through the shit....

Not getting into the technical shit, but just was I been thinking from what you've posted SMD, cos I do think it's interesting...

You said no one thought HH would last ten years, no-one was thinking about ten years ahead when HH started, check Style Wars or any old HH footage. It was a very fresh, spontaneous culture about kids setting up sound systems to play music to the community / youth, in parks, youth centres, apartments, anywhere they could, there was no long term plan, yeah, it was seen as a fad, but that was before 'dance music' (as a scene) had been invented there was disco, house, and electro, but there wasn't dance music and club culture like there is now / since the late 80's.

That was a massively different time and place to HH now, (which has very little to do with the early days, no surprises cos it's 30+ years later) but so it is with Jungle in the 90's to DnB now. It's nearly 20 years on since breakbeat & proto jungle.

Music's changed so much since then...Digital music, downloads, internet, everything is worldwide now soon as it happens. Look how long it took HH to spread round the world, compare that to DnB nowadays when you can DL anything from Russian pirates as soon as you hear about it.

I'm just saying, there's some similarities between the scenes but don't get hung up on trying to compare the development and cultures of HH and DnB, cos they are massively different, even though there are similarities and everything changes. & maybe you need to learn a bit more about early HH and jungle history...

:)

No your right, and I believe I said that it's tough to compare...sometimes I get hung up on huge analogies and comparisons cuz its how i learn, and communicate best (partially why I MC) but I wasn't saying hiphop kids were saying it wasn't going to last 10 years, because as you said they weren't concerned with it, I was talking about the naysayers and angry housewives.....

No your right, and I believe I said that it's tough to compare...sometimes I get hung up on huge analogies and comparisons cuz its how i learn, and communicate best (partially why I MC) but I wasn't saying hiphop kids were saying it wasn't going to last 10 years, because as you said they weren't concerned with it, I was talking about the naysayers and angry housewives.....

That's why I'm saying don't compare, recognise some similarities, but they're different cultural movements in different eras.

I wasn't there in the Bronx in the late 70's but have seen lots of docs and read some books (& it was years before stuff started getting recorded and put out on record, and HH got released as 'music' in it own right). Completely different from Jungle which was born on vinyl, by the DJ / Producers who started making it to play at raves, combining the influences that impacted at the time.

With early HH I don't think there were naysayers and angry housewives, or any kind of backlash, rather massive positive media coverage on the new 'fad', (which is covered is Style Wars even though that's predominantly about Graf) kids were literally breakdancing and MCing on every street corner.

Are there any good movies or books documenting jungle/ dnb's history that you could recommend?

You ask for help, yet when peeps talk to you, you act like you know it all...

You wanna learn what being a junglist is all about, then get over here and go to a few raves... its the only way to learn.

Its just a natural progression in a modern society, with any product that can be used for monetary gain.

Not just music.

But as music is the subject...

Any relatively new genre of will always starts somewhere "underground" as it were, then rolled out to the larger underground following, before somebody picks up on its apparent earning potential & spreads to the wider mainstream audience.

Whether this is benificial or detrimental to said music, is where the debate is for me.

But you can discuss it till you're blue in the face, it will all depend on where you stand in the chain, as to what your viewpoint is.

You ask for help, yet when peeps talk to you, you act like you know it all...

You wanna learn what being a junglist is all about, then get over here and go to a few raves... its the only way to learn.

If I'm coming off like that I'm sorry; Trust me I don't believe I know it all, just posing further questions so I can get a better idea of what you're saying....

Also, yea I plan on making it over there this year; I made it to Spain last year for Inno; I was going to try to come to Global Energy but I was booked for Miami around the same time,
ideally I'd like to come out there for about a month so I can catch some smaller nights as well as bigger raves, try to get a booking here and there, and make a little pilgrimage to my ancestors home country Ireland on the same trip...

Back
Top Bottom