DNB drum sequencing and reason 4

Purple Koala

this may be a really stupid question but humour me anyway, are your snares supposed to be in a specific place when producing for them to line up with another track, cause i have been listening to some old skool source direct and i can't pin down where they keep their snares so i don't know how to do it.
also when using reason 4's redrum drum sequencer when you have the pattern at the bottom set as 1/16th does that equal a whole bar? or what is a whole bar? and how much of a bar does 1/16th represent?
thanks for your time, if you need clarifying on my questions just smack me round the head so i can repeat them more clearly.

i dont use reason but 1/16th means 1/16th of a bar.... so its one segment of a bar split into 16 parts

as for snares.... i dont really know what your saying

this may be a really stupid question but humour me anyway, are your snares supposed to be in a specific place when producing for them to line up with another track, cause i have been listening to some old skool source direct and i can't pin down where they keep their snares so i don't know how to do it.
also when using reason 4's redrum drum sequencer when you have the pattern at the bottom set as 1/16th does that equal a whole bar? or what is a whole bar? and how much of a bar does 1/16th represent?
thanks for your time, if you need clarifying on my questions just smack me round the head so i can repeat them more clearly.

in the sequencer you have settings

to set the tempo and the type of bars you will use for your production.

musics generes use different settings and these settings characterise the style of music your making,

In drum and bass 4/4 is common and tempo ranges can be around 160 up to 180 but nothing set in stone. i usually go for around 175 out of lazyness, but then again i havent grasped the meaning of tempo totally im not a DJ. I think it as something to do with the samples you use and theres something similar to do with the key the samples are in im no musician i just use my hears hahahaha i get by anyway.

when you set the sequencer to 1/16 which is a good setting for dnb but it depends on what your doing of course you might want to put some glitches in then you might opt for 1/64 anyway its the quantisation your talkin about.

it means you divide your bar up into 16 parts. when you make drum and bass it important that your kicks and snares are locked to that template and quantised hard because they deterime the timing of your choon and if they dont sit right your choon will never sound in time, thats very important unless your very experienced of course theres always exceptions.

its important to learn how to use this tool because if you want to progress youll find out that taking the snap to grid off is very useful not everything is hard quantised for example high hats.. its alot to do with experimenting. ..... and using your hears

have a look at this web page theres a few examples of drum and bass midi programing (sequences )
http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/drum_patterns.php

anyway hope this helps ...

bigupz

Last edited:
just put the snares on 5 and 13!
for a regular dnb beat them go from there!

another reason tip.....

good way to build breaks is to load your samples into redrum and experiment till you get something you like then copy the notes to track to get the midi info .... or export to wave for choppage.(recycle)

Last edited:
yeah man like dj sc said just use that formula for starting off, there is other snare combinations of course, but maybe only experiment with other ideas once u'v grasped the very basic beat structure described above.

yes the 1/16 setting is for a whole bar

another idea is copy a dr rex (drumnbass) loop onto the sequencer and then play the redrum at the same time, match the snares taht way if u get too confused! u may end up with a cheeky break as in effect ur layering the 2 together :D

also a suggestion for the future, once u've got ur head round the redrum, have a go at the NN-XT for making beats, i only swtiched over recently, its got a lot mroe routing options than redrum but it is a little more complicated to use, in the end its great for having more control over each individual drum sample than the redrum

hope that helps! if not fire away with some more! lol :D

Back
Top Bottom