Defecting producers...

Very true...

However some artists do have an irreplaceable style... Spor is an obvious example.

However for me, if someone like Calibre chose to leave, who can replace him?

The day Calibre stops producing dnb will see worldwide suicide rates leap ten fold

The good news is that I cannot see that happening as he still appears to have a passion for the music

I think every genre has some limitaions, and its just nice to try something new. Been making hip hop recently and I cant see myself making any dnb too soon and is probably similar in ots of ways to why the aforementioned producers make other stuff.
Doesnt have some of the confines that dnb does. As I dont DJ it Im not aware of itx structure in the same way so I dont feel like I have to take that into account. Sometimes you fel like you have more freedom doing something you dont know as much about and simply its more where Im at right now.

Many artists just cant be bothered with all the bullshit that flies around...

theres far too many geeky kids sitting on forums similar to this who try to know everything about dnb and try to spread their rumours, opinions etc etc...

some opinions get turned into big worldwide ranting... take the whole pendulum thing for example.... many dnb artists have made the crossover from dnb to commercial rock etc.... take Kosheen for example.... no one ever guns down Decoder & Substance for creating a band and going commercial do they???
Its all because some geeky little fuk wit decided to spread his opinion and everyone else thought it was cool to follow.... no it seems like, if you dont like pendulum then your not accepted.... proper fukin stupid....

then theres the whole issue of the scene being split into ever expanding sub genres.... and DJs claiming to be "a jump up DJ" or a "glitch DJ".... blah blah blah... the scene was at its best when there was only 2 sub genres.... Darkside... and not Darkside...

theres so much bullshit going on in the scene right now..... and it all comes from little dnb geeks who think its cool to hunt down illegal dubs or insult producers who spend time and money making the shit they listen to... and the funny thing is... people who insult pendulum for example... will probably buy their next album... or at least download it from a torrent site... slightly hypocritical.....

Anyway... rant over......

telling it like it is bra
notice how the scene got worse when every fuckers online now
also, like dillinja said, people dont listen to other styles of music and take influence from them - thats what this music is built on - listening to dnb alone just aint good imo, open your mind

I doubt it's something to do with age, but maybe with the constraints that genres and genre follower's seem to impose. I.e., I have seen in the production forum a few of "this is not d&b so it should not be posted here" etc threads.

I guess that some people (producers or not) feel comfortable in a single genre, while others need to move on constantly in order to experiment. I.e., I was into metal when I was 18, Trance at 22, and since then I have had periods of Punk, Classical, and nowadays I am really enjoying D&B.

However, I have started producing some homemade D&B, and I already feel constrained by some of the non-spoken rules and experimenting outside of its limitations...

Money might be another good reason to migrate though, if you are in music for the big bucks! :D

Kryptic Minds

I think we can rule these guys out for ever making dnb again jdging by this interview they've just done

http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2009/05/kryptic-minds-and-loefah.html

They're pretty pissed off at the scene it would seem

They even have a go at Friction

'L: We were playing in Bristol in about 2006 or 07. And it was a fundraiser so everyone was playing for free. Me and Mala had our set time, 1-2am or something like that and then Friction rang up and claimed he needed that set because he had to take his son to football or something and really played the ‘I’m the big drum & bass DJ’ card, ordering everyone around. He got his own way. So that’s that. Three weeks ago I was in a black cab with Benga coming back from the West End, we’d just been and eaten ribs or something. Benga gets a text message from Friction and he showed it to me. It says ‘I’m playing a set tonight do you have any dubstep?’ It’s like ‘why?’ I fucking hate it to be honest it gets right on my nerves. It’s not the producers as much it’s the DJs who are fucking killing me. How would they have felt if in 1994 all the big techno DJs went ‘yeah yeah yeah, we’re in it [jungle]?’ Even Squarepusher and all that lot tried to do it in their own way…'

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom