D-Jhepz - Underground

Forgive me, I am going to take the time to write a full review.

BASS-Your track, while containing variations, is dominated by one sound that sits on the upper frequencies of your bass. I can obviously hear that there are variations to your bass. However, there is not much distinction between these variations. Creating a feeling of negative repetitiveness and wish for more cadence within your bass. For example, a "question, answer" effect with two different basses that create and push the rhythm of the bass line.

FILLS- One main factor that divides the professional producers from the amateur producers like myself are fills and the careful consideration and skillful application of chops and fills. At 1:05 when the first important fill comes about, it is important that you carefully considered how to work such a fill. While, the drop is arguably the most important part of the song. The fills are usually the most unique part of any song that the listener can grab on to.

Drums- I hear four distinctive drum patterns with in your drop, the main normal drum pattern, the fill pattern, the fill/amen pattern, and the half step pattern. I firmly believe that you could add some ghost kicks in your tack, to add just a touch of variation. Also, during the step pattern on the second drop. You can add more kicks at many different places, switching those kicks positions up a lot to add a real flow. I also think your kick drum does not stand out enough on the high end of the frequency spectrum. Their is also something about your hats I love. I would not change a thing about them.

EQ- I feel your drums don't stand out enough. I also think your higher end frequency bass is to loud. I also think it might be a good idea to use or rework a side chain from your kick to your sub-bass.

I know there is a lot of negative things about your track I mentioned. It should be noted I did not do this to be a dick. I just wanted to give a full review of a song. All critique should be taken as a matter of honest opinion with the best of intentions. Over I liked the song and especially like the atmosphere opf the track.

Hope this helps.
IV4

im not a massive fan of the drum switch ups to be honest, and i think the sub is a bit too loud. other than that this is a good piece of work. kick could use a bit more punch too. good work though. maybe try and have the drums a bit more flowing? just my opinion tho!

ok firstly, thanks for your comments, i went back to my tracks and worked hard one my personal take on yours advice... and it didnt work, i could get it to work to my satisfaction... however i did make some happy changes and somehow managed to completely revamp the hole tune... now im really like this, has a "marka" feel to it... really love the dark half time stuff so here we go... soo to be selfish but your opinions are important, as 1 set of ears are always biased

It was a fun listen for me; the bass was great. There wasn't as much going on in the upper register, and I wondered what it would have been like with a pad or stabs or something in part of the song; also you could add those during the middle or something to better define the sections of the song, and its sense of progression. During the transitions in the song I noticed the bass got really resonant, like you turned up a setting on a filter or FM modulator or something; do that more. :) The whole song was very minimal, of course, but it hung together well.

Finally, a little thing, but I wonder if it would be interesting to modulate, filter, high pass, or otherwise molest the vocal sample...

thanks for the comments il see what i can do

the fill bass is rather resonant because its not split like the others its just the raw synth signal with some of the effects as the other basses...

for the pad idea i was thinking of doing something like what photek says in his master class and put like a low simple pad following the sub pattern to make the sub stand more prominent on poor speakers and fill the hi end a bit

Not the biggest fan of this genre, but i def like your bass sounds! Maybe try adding an extra bass to switch it up sometimes! Def a great theme/atmosphere with the whole underground thing!

Lower slighty the sub and with that loss use it to increase the whine and vocal in the track. I am finding that the sub sometimes is eating away the kick so that needs a little EQing and you will be fine. Overall, nice vibe :D

Back
Top Bottom