Compilation Albums

Time Dependant

Jungle Hunter
VIP Junglist
Easy peeps, I was having a thought late last night about how every compilation CD that seems to get released is pretty much exactly the same track listing as the last. How do the companies who release the albums make money of them, if the album next to in the stores is a clone? Also why aren't more compilation CD's released showcasing lesser known tracks from big stars & up & coming artists albums. I know I would definetly start spending my money on those kind of albums, which have been explored to find some real gems waiting to be discovered.

Last edited:
Aint it the truth - that Randall cd (the one wiv the advert on the telly), is pretty much the same as the Hype jungle cd that came out a few years ago! :confused:

The Andy C compilations are varied enough, but when it comes to big distributors who are about shifting units in HMV, they think it has to be a 'definitive guide to dnb' an has to have tunes like CHOPPER/PULP FICTION/THE NINE/SUPER SHARP SHOOTER Blah blah Blah to sell to the masses.

Ill jus stick to hunting down ruud mixes from bad-boys that i can download! you aint gonna get cheese then!

:D

I was thinking about this the other day

A lot of these compilations are either aimed at newcomers to the scene who don't know the older tunes or people may not have decks who maybe just go raving and want to pick up a CD with a load of tunes they already know by artists they recognise. A load of more obscure stuff is probably gonna be ingnored by these people and the people who know a bit more who will already have the tunes on vinyl.

V Matt said:
I was thinking about this the other day

A lot of these compilations are either aimed at newcomers to the scene who don't know the older tunes or people may not have decks who maybe just go raving and want to pick up a CD with a load of tunes they already know by artists they recognise. A load of more obscure stuff is probably gonna be ingnored by these people and the people who know a bit more who will already have the tunes on vinyl.

That makes sense in a business way I can definetley see that newcomers need to be given the bigger tunes to feed off to enter the scence a bit easier. But I feel once you know the anthems, discovering something new about what an artist is about is half the fun of music. I would seriously love to see a major label create a series of albums that focus on album tracks, undiscovered anthems from new labels, & up & coming producers. The only series of albums I've ever seen that really did get my praise were called 'Global undeground'. They are a mix of progressive house & trance tracks which focused on a different djing ( Sasha, Digweed, Tony De Vit, etc) playing in a new country with their own selection of tracks. A D&B one would make a wicked collection.

sayber said:
But I feel once you know the anthems, discovering something new about what an artist is about is half the fun of music. I would seriously love to see a major label create a series of albums that focus on album tracks, undiscovered anthems from new labels, & up & coming producers.

Yeah, I agree but I don't think they would sell that well so nobody is gonna do them.

It's sad but most people in the business probably think there is no point doing that when they could make more money with much less effort just putting out another compilation with the same old tunes.

Back
Top Bottom