Clipz - 'Showtime ep' (Emcee)

Mulla

Digital Future
VIP Junglist
Clipz - Showtime ep (Emcee)

The criminally underrated Dj Clipz brings GQ's Emcee label into the spotlight, with an impressive double pack that has been receiving plays from the scene's leading players!
Starting as he means to go on, and with probably the most well-known tune on the ep, 'Cuban Links' is a mighty opener! Medieval-sounding strings backed with a solid break build the tune up, with a Hazard-y bassline sneaking in now and then, until a filtered roll signals the drop, and what a drop it is! As I said before, the tune is in a very similar vein to some of Hazards recent stuff, which should give you an idea of the devastation it causes! A growling bassline smacks you square in the face, when suddenly the sound changes into a chopped up frenzy, leading you back to the original b-line. Quality stuff!
Title track 'Showtime' is up next, and probably the tune Im feeling least from the ep, although it is still a strong track. Starting off with a catchy melody which builds up and up, soon accompanied by the break, into an 'Its shooooowtime' sample, making way for the break. An old skool Full Cycle bassline is the order of the day with this one, and coupled with the aforementioned melody, make a solid dancefloor number.
'Voodoo Step' is a much heavier track, with muted hi-hats preparing you for a brutal amen drop! A warm bass rides with the breaks, which in itself progresses, creating an eerie atmosphere, topped off with 'Voodoo Step' samples and a sweet occasional female vocal. You've no doubt heard this out and about, and as such, will know what it does on the dancefloor. Nuff said.
Next up is the weighty 'Calypso', getting underway with a (surprisingly enough) Calypso-y melody and and a standard break. Soon enough though, and a drom roll signals the main body of the tune, and the best way I can think of to describe this is to think Twisted & APB's 'Deep Gash' with a more cheery feel to it. The warm blowing bass sound is what makes the tune, and on a system, its effect is undeniable!

i bought this EP and its good if not a bit similar....definitely needs to be heard on a proper system to fully appreciate those subs...definitely liking the 'playskool' style intro of calypso...:D

Am i the only one that has cuban links on both sides of the first vinyl???

Think i got done - not having that title track of teh ep! :finger2:

Element said:
Am i the only one that has cuban links on both sides of the first vinyl???

Think i got done - not having that title track of teh ep! :finger2:

Heh Heh, nah your not the only one! Ive heard a couple of other people complaining of the same thing! Must've been a dodgy batch or something.

Back
Top Bottom