Best Production Trick of 2014

studubwatts1

Now that 2014 is done time to hear what everybody learned.

so what is the best trick or tool you learned about last year and what did you use to do it. Ill start it off

my fav new trick is side chain EQing, does wonders for bringing out things lost in the mix. best vst I found for doing this is melda productions Mdynamic EQ.

Adding a small amount of tube and xcita distortion on drum busses and synths with camelphat to brighten the high frequencies slightly

i just learned about this but havent had a chance to use it yet. i do use the randomize on camel phat all the time. it can really help find the right sound
The only thing is that you need to have an already existing patch opened for the randomize function to work. It doesn't work on an "empty" new sound.

sidechaining your FX bus can create some interesting texture and effects. stack of the verbs, delays, and and distortions, then sidechain them to a percussion pattern or synth stab and you can come out with some serious textures full of movement.

So it's something i knew for a long time now but i never used it for drums or melodic synths: Freq splitting. Especially on breaks and them put different effects on highs & mids. Gives them an interesting texture!

What i also learned for getting a cleaner mixdown is, to work a lot with spectrum analyzer and clean up every single track (should've done that a long time ago already :P)

Oh, and i made a lot of atmospheres & vocal morphs with alchemy. If you own this plugin use it to male your own sounds and not just use presets like i did before! :D

Frequency splitting basses usually into three layers and individually processing is something I only really started looking into last year. I've also just starting using aux sends in Cubase to split up a signal from one instrument rather than using multiple instances of instruments like I used to do.

stutter edit on bounces of baseline !!
gives deep varieties ... only thing is computer died and lost all my shit and plug ins and can't seem to find a reliable source to get it from again :(

if anyone has or knows please enlighten me.. I'm trying to build everything back up .. using macbook pro 15" retina running logic x!!!

cheers

Making my drums outta one shots at 120-140bpm, them bouncing down the audio and pitch the whole loop up by a few semitones (2-5). Then rearranging the break to taste. Gets some nice punchy hits with good attack on them.

Still trying to perfect it as I just started doing it recently. I'm trying to get nice drums without using any breaks.

Back
Top Bottom