Best of 2013, so far, IMO... Part 1

Afek_One

VIP Junglist
I plan on doing a stepper/amen mix for part 2. I was just thinking about how great this year has been for dnb and came up with this. As always, the mixing's not perfect, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

http://dnbshare.com/download/bestof2013SoFar.mp3.html

Sam KDC - Exertion
Loxy and Isotone - Ancients (Skeptical Remix)
Naibu - Just Like You (Fracture's Astrophonica Remix)
MACHINEDRUM - Eyesdontlie
Addison Groove & Sam Binga - Thr3id
Dawn Day Night - Mister Meanor
Stray - Akina
Ruffhouse - Greyscale
Survival & Silent Witness- Black Storm
Blocks, Escher, Loxy & Resound - Monsters
Sam KDC - Surrender
Dub Phizix - Yukon
Detail & Tiiu - Days Go By
THY LVE - What We Promise
Chimpo - Frontline
Om Unit - The Hand
Mako - I Used To Be Like You
Fracture - Better Than Tomorrow
Stray - LA Zoom
Dawn Day Night - Higher Plains
Chimpo ft Dub Phizix and Skeptical - Buzzin
Kid Drama - One 6 Eight
House of Black Lanterns - I'll Wait For You
Kryptic Minds - Burnt To Ashes

Last edited:
Need a soundcloud or mixcloud page Afek One.

The intro with Exertion was a really nice way to ease into the mix, and wasn't expecting when Ancients rmx came in, but that was a wicked touch and placement. Solid blend to start with right there. Been liking Just Like You rmx since I bought it too and you use it to great effect, with the melody of that and the more menacing Ancients rmx contrasting each other well. Would have liked to hear that mix hang in for another 32 bars though (just seemed like a short mix to me). Where Eyesdontlie came in too was another wicked touch, again both that and Fracture's remix before sitting nicely together. Still getting used to Thr3id myself, and mainly play Rzor off that EP, but that did sound wicked in the mix.

Do you recommend picking up that Re-Animations EP? Been tempted, but only want to pick it up if the tunes go with 170/85 bpm stuff. Mister Meanor - Akina was another sweet blend, just another brief mix where another 32 bars of both tunes in the mix would have been more pleasing on the ears. Akina - Greyscale came together well, with the footwork elements of Akina complimenting the darker tones of Greyscale before the switched cut. That sounded a bit abrupt in there. Maybe ease Akina down more before dropping it out the mix. The additional vocals of Black Storm to Greyscale was a choice selection. Really liked hearing the additional percussion of Surrender with Monsters, partly because that tune is my favourite of the Sam KDC EP. Didn't like the choppy bits with the fader / line - phono cuts after Monsters came back in, as that is quite a skill to get down. Yukon was a perfect step up of style from Surrender, a little more steppy and love that dirty drone that it brings. Again, would have liked that mix to stay in for another 32 bars before Surrender left the mix, and naturally Yukon changed a little at the end of that bar. Days Go By sounding really nice in there..... not sure if you go that idea from one of Skepticals recent mixes. More of 'should have kept Yukon' in for a bit longer in my eyes.

Days Go By - What We Promise really took me by surprise. The double with those 2 especially after they both have a section of no beat before the drop, and the way those 2 complimented each other rhythmically was bliss. A short mix again to be honest, but my favourite mix so far :) The lyrics of Frontline over the more ambient What We Promise was quality, keeping that in for a more standard length of mix. The Hand sounding really fresh with Frontline. Haven't got round to mixing The Hand much, but its nice to have recent tunes that are still like new tunes when you get round to mixing them. Been tempted to bag I Used To Be Like You, and after listening to it in your mix, I might just do that. Really like that tribal metallic drum in that :) Couldn't work out what was added to LA Zoom while that was entering the mix, but when I had worked out it was Higher Plains chopping up Stray's tune, I thought that was a cool touch to that blend. Rockwell's Back Again missed off the tracklist next, but sounding wicked off the back off Higher Plains. Fair bit of vocal clash between Back Again - Buzzin..... might have needed something else in between those 2 + another brief mix. Really like One 6 Eight in every mix I have heard it in, just another one of those off Mosaic 2 that I haven't had a chance to get my head stuck into, but have played it a couple of times. Enjoyed the way it bounced into Buzzin, chopping up the previous tunes beat. Not heard I'll Wait For You before, and was a pleasing addition to the mix that made me sit up and think 'I wonder what that is' before that vocal came in. Burnt To Ashes made a nice outro tune, blending with elements of I'll Wait For You extremely well, making that another of my favourite mixes in there before it began easing out.

A really enjoyable mix all together AO. I don't know what you meant by 'the mixing's not perfect'..... sounded fine to me with regard to the tightness of mixes and the timing of tunes. The EQ'ing was up there and couldn't hear anything wrong with that when listening. A small handful of mixes I would have liked to stay in longer, eg:- 64 bars (2x32) / 2 AABA's, but thats just me + I have had others mention on here that if you are enjoying a blend, then keep it in for a little longer. Plus a good tunes to minutes ratio it keeps the listener intent on the mix, not waiting a little longer for another tune to appear.

Would be cool if you could jot some thoughts or some feedback on B&B 5 when it drops this weekend. You locked into B&B 4 to briefly pass note on the tracklist but that was all :-/

Wow. That was a hell of a review. I appreciate it. I really like the Re-Animation EP. Every tune is solid and make for good DJ tools, but 2 of the tunes are 140.

Generally, I really prefer longer blends too, but I try to mix up long blends with short ones so the whole mix has some variety. I definitely need to work on easing tunes in so the mix isn't abrupt. After I get something matched, I get excited and tend to slam it in. The newer Stray and Rockwell tunes have really loud intros, so it's more noticeable. Rockwell has also been throwing in a lot of bassy 808 kicks in his intros which makes them hard to EQ without frequency conflicts. My cuts can also be dodgy. Tbh, I only do them well when I'm drunk. :zest:

I've been doing the Days Go By>What We Promise>Frontline mix a lot. They all complement each other so well that I hear those mixes even when I'm not doing them.

I Used to be Like You is a favorite of mine. There's a lot of energy and angst in it for a half beat tune. It's not the easiest tune to mix though.

I got out of LA Zoom fast because I'm sick of it tbh. It's a big tune though and IMO was influential this year.

I noticed that vocal clash in Buzzin and Back Again too. I was hoping that Back Again wouldn't really be distracting though because the vocal drones over and over and is more of a harmonic element. I really didn't do Buzzin justice though. It's a powerful tune.

I'll Wait For You has 2 extra bars in the intro. Actually, all House of Black Lanterns do iirc. I forgot that and missed the dd.

Again, thanks for the review. I'll do a review for your B+B mix this weekend. I enjoyed the last one a lot and I'll give a detailed response. I also plan on doing part 2 of this mix with more steppers.

Mixing is on point bro! The track selection is too slow for me tho like really minimal.

Thanks. Yeah, this is a tough one if the selection isn't your style. I'm really into the minimal/harmonic kind of thing right now. I plan on doing a part 2 tomorrow of rollers and amens. I got about 45 minutes into it last night and had a huge train wreck so I stopped recording.

My whole Saturday will be spent recording a new mix and reviewing a few others. I even plan on staying partially sober tonight so I have time. :zest:

Back
Top Bottom