Best carts for timecode?

hazdaman100

Bum 'n Face
VIP Junglist
Was wondering, in terms of durability, reliability, and the strength of the signal, what, in your eyes are the best carts and stylus are the best for using with timecode software.

It has become apparent to me that as you only really in essence require a decent signal, the carts which maybe good for standard vinyl usage, may not actually be any good for timecode.
My are the more robust head-shells better than the concord style ext....

thoughts????

the more robust head-shells better than the concord style ext

Mmm I'd agree with that. I've got the ortofon pro s concords. Not sure in terms of sounds quality, but I've noticed when you spin back on regular wax no problem, but if you do it on serato its prone to skipping a few (or quite a lot) of grooves. Cant be doing the needle or timecode any good. Might just be the vinyl as I heard timecode grooves aren't as deep? I havnt had any non concorde needles on since I've had serato so can't really compare but more weight / stability = less slippiness

Edit; having said all that, the sound quality is wicked, you just gotta be more gentle on timecode than wax

Last edited:
Concorde DJ S's are doing me just fine. But stanton 500's before them were good too.

At the end of the day anything that can read a signal will do the job. Ive tried a stylus that can barely play a tune on wax, and put it on a timecode and it was fine.

Concorde DJ S's are doing me just fine. But stanton 500's before them were good too.

At the end of the day anything that can read a signal will do the job. Ive tried a stylus that can barely play a tune on wax, and put it on a timecode and it was fine.

so in that example, I guess that the stylus that you say hardly worked on Wax was a fair bit cheaper than a djs. yet it did the job fine.
So what is the point in having a djs to dj from timecode from?
From what I know concorde are build for sound quality as the sit in the groove better, but as you know timecode operates in a totally different way, so would the more robust ones produce a better, less interrupted siginal, or just the same, yet possibly last longer.

From my experience DJS dont particulary last that long considering the cost of them, plus as you have to add more counter weight for timecodes thats gunna make them go even quicker....

Price is fucking hefty tho! 135 each?!!! whats the damage on a needle if you end up breaking one?

A measly 45 quid haha - which is a lot but if you bear in mind I am still using the ones they came with and have mixed at least an hour a day for about 15 months, its still better value than some of the cheaper ortofons/stantons (not shures tho, they are equally good imo).

Also, if you look at buying the pack that comes with the spare stylus it works out good value and you get a nice flight case (useful if your taking them out) and you have a spare stylus so when it does eventually break, you still have one to use while you re-mortgage your house to buy a replacement!

A measly 45 quid haha - which is a lot but if you bear in mind I am still using the ones they came with and have mixed at least an hour a day for about 15 months, its still better value than some of the cheaper ortofons/stantons (not shures tho, they are equally good imo).

Also, if you look at buying the pack that comes with the spare stylus it works out good value and you get a nice flight case (useful if your taking them out) and you have a spare stylus so when it does eventually break, you still have one to use while you re-mortgage your house to buy a replacement!

Yeah I hear you man, sometimes it pays to fork out, shures seem faily well priced at 70 quid per cart imo, so i think I may go for them.

Back
Top Bottom