Audio Interface Question

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
Does the NI Audio Kontrol 1 do the same thing as an mbox? I know it's pitched towards DJs but I think it is. These things are kind of alien to me and I'm considering buying the NI device cause it looks cool and has some sort of midi control thingy on it.

thoughts?

Will be very similar yea, apart from little bits here and there the only main difference really is your choice of software, with an M-Box you'd be limited to Pro Tools.

Will be very similar yea, apart from little bits here and there the only main difference really is your choice of software, with an M-Box you'd be limited to Pro Tools.

You would not be limited to Pro Tools with an Mbox... it works as any other soundcard and should be the other way round... it gives you the option of using Pro Tools. The original Mbox is awesome... the record inputs are the same AD conversion as the HD setup but they moved away from this with later versions. I'm definitely in the market for one even though we have a digi 003 rack and an M-Audio FW410.

I've not had any past experience of NI hardware, their software rocks and to be fair, with the software included, the NI is an attractive proposition. This is where personal choice kicks in, I would say Mbox cause I'm a PT Junkie... but then I have all the software already...

The software has improved greatly with PT since version 5, some of the included instruments with version 8 are seriously heavy! Vacum and Hybrid carry some powerful sounds... and he Smack plug-in for side-chaining is awesome. The EQ has come on heaps with the 7 band EQ up there with the best.

The connections should be your biggest concern when buying a compact soundcard, they differ quite dramatically. A reason why we have the 410 rather than and Mbox for the 2nd studio PC; it's loaded with outputs and front mounted 48v phantom power inputs, perfect for using the 2nd PC as a sampler. To be honest, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

Peace

BNGMovingLogo01.gif

Lee Fury & JTB
http://soundcloud.com/biteandgouge

^^ My bad then, thought that the Mbox only had support for PTLE, shows how up to date I am.

The newer Mbox uses Focusrite mic pres I think, might be the same ones as the Octopre uses, so theyre not too bad for the price you pay. I'd go for Pro Tools any day, the price you pay for LE setups is really decent for what you get, but its all down to personal choice really.

Back
Top Bottom