Anyone wanna help make this bass sound? :)

parsons19

VIP Junglist
Wow,

Just heard this tune, really love it :) I guess its future garage this one, I know I have heard this sound from old darker garage tunes though! (Puts me in mind of Wookie)

I would say this bass is probably really simple to make, I could probably do it if I put my mind to it. But ya know, having writers block and stuff makes you lazy :lol:

Starts at 0.59

I'm far from a pro on synthesis man! :lol: I kinda have got the idea of making sounds, but I don't know how to recreate stuff...

When I make sounds its more of a trial and error muck around thing :lol:

Away from my computer with all my stuff on it but I do believe there are squares at work here, just you gots a starting point. I'll give it ago in a bit for you.

Safe man, thanks very much! I will load up Massive in five minutes and have a play around myself actually. Best to try and learn I suppose!

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

I tried to make the bassline. It sounds ok but I'm sure you can do a better job T:M!

The notes to the bass (for the first part) in this tune are F, F, F#, F.

My settings (in Massive) are:

Osc 1 & 2. Both Square - Saw 1. Wavetable all the way to the left (for a square). Both at -24.

Modulation - Ring Mod on 2 and Phase on 1. Both turned up a little bit.

Through a Lowpass filter. Bring the Res down. Bring the cutoff to about a quarter. (so like inbetween nothing and halfway!).

Use Env 1 on the cutoff. Bring it up a teeny bit! Have Env 1 with little attack. Full Level (next to attack). Decay in the middle. (Level next to this just under a half). No release.

I then changed Env 4 settings. Same as Env 1 except Decay at full and the level of this at a quarter! Not a great attempt from me!? :lol:

Also, I turned this sound into a nice old style wobble by simply adding an LFO on the cutoff and a dimension expander! :)

OK! I got kinda close, it sounds really similar to that typical garage bass sound but not quite what you have here. I used Logics ES2 with a Square and a Triangle both down about 24 semitones, more of the Triangle then the Square in the signal (osc mixer in es2 was about 60% triangle wave and 40% square wave). I used a 24db filter with Cutoff at slightly under half and a tiny bit of resonance, then on the amp envelope I went for attack all the way down, decay slightly under halfway down, sustain at about a quarter and release at about the same time as the decay. I also set the cutoff to be very lightly modulated by the amp envelope. You could probably try messing with the attack to get a smoother sound and less of a pluck. For processing I'd imagine something like the typical chorus and distortion sort of thing.

Mines close but not quite the same, the one in the C.R.S.T. track is smoother and a bit more buzzy. Maybe you can fiddle around with it some and get it closer.

EDIT: You did and it sounds great!

Last edited:
Whoa man! Nice! I didn't see yours until after I had finished typing mine so I just had a go with it. You're has more of the buzz in it then mine does (perhaps just a characteristic of Massive, no?) are methods are reasonably the same. Good job!

I find that Garage has a strange obsession with square waves though, this type of bass, early wobble bass, even that bass Wiley likes to use in his Eski stuff, like the one I used in my "Dubstep/Grime Skit", its just two detuned squares!

I can't listen right now, I'm not at home, but I sure as hell know I'm gonna nail that sound when I get back! You two talking has interested me!

Will be happy to hear what can come out with Fletch! Would love to hear your contribution.

Will have a play around with your suggestions now T:M :) Just been watching Aid's new tut, its sick, check it out if you haven't already!

Thanks for checking out my sound, its actually made me feel good that I kinda got close :P Given me a bit of confidence to try out stuff more :)

And don't worry about it Zeus! When I used to read stuff these guys talking I thought my head was going to explode at some points :lol:

Back
Top Bottom