Anyone used a Moog MINITAUR Analog Bass Synthesizer?

Skuzzy

Hi Guys,

Im after a bit of synth advice...

Ive been using soft synths for ages now and looking to enter the realm of moogs and analogue. I'm looking for that real nice reese and warm bass sound. has anyone used the Moog MINITAUR Analog Bass Synthesizer for Drum and Bass?

can anyone recommend any good synths for around the £400 mark?

Am I better off just using my soft synths and just resample with filters? perhaps a good sound card with some other outboard distortion or filter effects?

Cheers,

Mark.

I've watched a few vids on the minitaur, they say it sounds very good, myself wasnt too keen on the sound it was giving out ( judged unfairly by a video on youtube ) but compared to when I watch videos of a virus... no real comparison.... I'd save a little extra and get a virus ti snow or possibly an older virus, that's my plan anyway!

Hi,

It has a nice sound but the MiniTaur is a bit limited, especially for the price. Dave's Smiths Mopho is of a similar price with great extensions regarding modulation capabilities.

but compared to when I watch videos of a virus... no real comparison....
I would never compare a MiniTaur to a Virus, they are both geared towards different things. For starters, the Minitaur is a subtractive analog synthesiser module, compared to a virtual analog synthesiser that employs many synthesis techniques.

A good audio interface should definitely be a primary priority, even if you're not recording, D/A conversion is very important in gaining a detailed representation of your sound.

Hi,

It has a nice sound but the MiniTaur is a bit limited, especially for the price. Dave's Smiths Mopho is of a similar price with great extensions regarding modulation capabilities.

I would never compare a MiniTaur to a Virus, they are both geared towards different things. For starters, the Minitaur is a subtractive analog synthesiser module, compared to a virtual analog synthesiser that employs many synthesis techniques.

A good audio interface should definitely be a primary priority, even if you're not recording, D/A conversion is very important in gaining a detailed representation of your sound.

/\ A 1,000x this!! Even if your hardware synth is tits, a shit audio interface will kill your sound. Definitely make sure you're interface has quality pre amps and what not. As I've preached in many other posts, it's all about A/D (Analogue to Digital) conversion quality.

I would take a look at the Minibrute as an alternative to the Minitaur. It's a new monosynth for under 400 quid (price was 395 at www.DV247.com), plus you get a Midi/CV converter, a 25 note keyboard with aftertouch, lots of different additional bits like an arpeggiator, varied LFO and a cool brute factor/feedback patch. Got best in show at NAMM this year and there are plenty of videos covering it.

Moog fans will say that you are paying to get the signature Moog ladder filter, but this is a matter of personal preference.

yeah the minitaur is a little limited but its analog and a moog so your guaranteed quality. for the price of the virus you could get the minitaur and some dope hardware fx and or a sampler that will get you a pretty dope and unique sound. I'd love a virus but i think with some clever resampling and that you wouldn't need one if you had a minitaur. Plus every second dude has a virus, its pretty easy to pick out some crews that use it cause of the filtered/distorted sound you can get on the basses, its a pretty popular sound in dnb at the moment.

its gonna be my next purchase, they look so sexy and the audio in will be so sick to run other synths through the moog low pass filter.
Made me laugh how they have really aimed the synth towards noobs wanting to make dubstep but really moogs in general are great for making real deep bass. With most analogs you get so deep when you hit sweet spots with a bit of resonance, even my korg monotribe which has the ms10 or 20 filter can make a deeper bass the most digital synths ive played with or own, i rattle my whole house with a super sub.

People say a lot of analogs are limited (which they are) but if you start sampling it the door opens to a whole new world which is what most dnb producers would be doing with their synths to get the detail and movement. analog is the bomb, i love to sit and just put a real fast lfo to the vca or vcf and listen to the oscillations go up and down real fast, at times they create a new pitch and all kind of crazy sounds.

My set up when i get it will be mainly getting super deep sounds and sampling into my Emu sampler, filter/mash/overdrive/ etc etc resample to taste then run through the moog filter again for some goodness, obviously it kinda depends on the tune and the sound you want but itll be great for running samples through as well with the tempo synced LFOs and real tight envelopes. I think itd be great for drum n bass but just bass and lead sounds in general too. The square wave on most moogs is fat as you can get so if your after big midrange sounds youll be set with this and a nice distortion and a sampler.
Moog make a quality product but prepare to be 'limited' which can either work wonders for your production or you will regret the buy.

for some reason im just not sold on the minibrute, something about it im not sure on, some of the fx seem cool, youll be able to get some hectic sounds with the distortions on it and the arpegiator would be great too.

on the other hand investing in outboard is a great idea however id wanna use hardware to run it through personally but you gotta start your hardware somewhere.

for some reason im just not sold on the minibrute, something about it im not sure on, some of the fx seem cool, youll be able to get some hectic sounds with the distortions on it and the arpegiator would be great too.

It's nice to know that we've got options to pick for mono synths in that kind of price range. Of course, the Dave Smith Morpho is always a cheaper alternative as well but there's something about a one-knob-per-parameter analogue synth that I just love.

The one thing I have noticed when I had a play with it is that the Minitaur is really nicely constructed. It's got a nice metal cage to house all that power and the choice of lights and knobs gives it that classic analogue feel in the build quality. I also expect that it is built for people who can integrate the bass sounds with their existing PC or analogue setup and thus have eschewed the effects that you would find on other synths in favour of a good quality synth

Back
Top Bottom