Anyone have info on bussing?

Krispy

VIP Junglist
Trying to wrap my head around the concept of routing channels to a bus channel. But I need a tutorial or guide or some information about this.

Just wondering if anyone could direct me to a guide/tutorial or explain this further, thank you

if your using ableton i think its just the same as grouping tracks, then adding some FX's onto the main ''buss'' track.

EDIT: or maybe im completely wrong, i always heard the term when i first started reading up on production, then as i got into ableton more i never heard it again, but from my understanding of how people talked about it, i just figured it was like groups in ableton...

Last edited:
A buss can be used for all sorts...

EG

If your recording a band using a 25 channel analogue desk and you want to add a bit of reverb to 7 different channels, you wouldnt (but you can) assign 7 different reverbs to 7 different channels; you would send those 7 channels to an Aux Bus. Now you have controll of all the 7 audio signals in a 'bus'. You can now add a reverb plugin to that buss. This will add reverb to those 7 signals which you can control using one fader. That bus then has to go somewhere, or you wont get any output, so you assign it to the master output or your desired channel.

This is a very quick answer... but a bit of googling can give your more answers

hope that helps.

Last edited:
Drums can be bussed too to put all through the same processor, like a limiter or a compressor. That can act as a 'glue', because all the voices are treated with as one, with the same settings.

Or if you have layered 3 snares for example, you can buss them through a same gated reverb combo or something.

Or then you could have 4 different bass sounds in a track but want them all to duck the same single kick sound - you buss the basses together and use the sidechain on that buss (group) channel.

Back
Top Bottom