Acme Oldskool HipHop Mix

Offered myself up like a right mong to do a hiphop mix at a friends small night (function room in pub)

Will i get away with being as bad as this? Or apart from the few more serious mistakes is it not too terrible?

Have most trouble with pitch changes. How the hell...

https://we.tl/uScp1dfxIE

I'm interested in learning how to spin hip hop too.

I have a wealth of knowledge of hip hop. I'd argue I know more hip hop artists and tracks than any other genre. I haven't been keeping up with it in the last 4-5 years..as I think the recet output has gone down the tubes for the most part.

here's a must have for a parrty/club night:

I'm interested in learning how to spin hip hop too.

I have a wealth of knowledge of hip hop. I'd argue I know more hip hop artists and tracks than any other genre. I haven't been keeping up with it in the last 4-5 years..as I think the recet output has gone down the tubes for the most part.

here's a must have for a parrty/club night:

cheesy yet enjoyable, few of my favorites.

The rugged East Coast stuff was something i grew into in my 20s always being a bit more West Coast in my youth.

I enjoy both though, its more to do with producers and artists for me id say. Think Nick Wiz productions has been my favorite for a few years now so always on the look out for artists i haven't heard.

Oh yeah AZ...

BeatJunkie82 always has the good stuff.

Last edited:
The rugged East Coast stuff was something i grew into in my 20s always being a bit more West Coast in my youth.

I enjoy both though, its more to do with producers and artists for me id say. Think Nick Wiz productions has been my favorite for a few years now so always on the look out for artists i haven't heard.

I haven't heard Nick Wiz, but, I'm way behind the times with hip hop. I don't know if I've outgrown it or it's outgrown me, haha. Vox has an amazing piece on how Migos took the triplet and put it front and center, and that has changed hip hop forever. The Vox journalists looks at triplets of the past, Three 6 Mafia, Biggie, even Public Enemy, used triplets in rap, but it took Migos' song "Versace" for it to blow the roof off the thing. you might enjoy that video, I found it quite interesting.

I've pretty much been a DnB/house head for the last 10 years. But, when I was a young lad, I was a fervent hip hop fan.

For east coast I'll just name a couple MC's/Groups that are worth listening to:

Gang Starr
Eric B. & Rakim
Cella Dwellas
Da Bush Babees
EPMD
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Ma$e
Big L
Lord Finesse

Also as a side note:

this is midwest rap but, has got some serious airtime with me is the group: Do or Die

Anyways part 1...

enjoyed this, quality selections. (y)

I haven't heard Nick Wiz, but, I'm way behind the times with hip hop.

For east coast I'll just name a couple MC's/Groups that are worth listening to:

Gang Starr
Eric B. & Rakim
Cella Dwellas
Da Bush Babees
EPMD
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Ma$e
Big L
Lord Finesse
never got into ma$e,couple of decent tunes but his rapping is zzzz... agreed with those other picks tho.

btw nick wiz produced the cellar dwellas realms n reality album.

enjoyed this, quality selections. (y)

never got into ma$e,couple of decent tunes but his rapping is zzzz... agreed with those other picks tho.

btw nick wiz produced the cellar dwellas realms n reality album.

I love Ma$e's stuff.

Kind of the precursor to Fabolous, a little better imo, but no Jadakiss.

Everyone knows the one he did with Puff Daddy, but, he had some downright nasty cuts in Big L's group Children of the Corn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Corn_(group)

Ah, nice tip on Nick Wiz. I should know him.

Should say I forgot to mention one of the dons..Biz Markie.. sacrilege.

yeah true, on his early pre-harlem world stuff he sounds better. I couldnt get into the whole shiny suit era pop rap thing

he almost sounds a bit like Big L there.

yeah true, on his early pre-harlem world stuff he sounds better. I couldnt get into the whole shiny suit era pop rap thing

he almost sounds a bit like Big L there.

Yeah, after he went commercial it went downhill but, his underground stuff is hot. Big L was Ma$e's inspiration I think, to pursue rap as a career. Source on that is an interview with Lord Finesse.

IMO, none of them have anything on Lord Finesse. I think that's just a personal bias of mine to Finesse. Finesse is probably my favorite MC of all times (excepting Bun B)

yeah that tune and Love U So were catchy enough, radio 1 fodder... I did actually buy Harlem World but I couldnt get through the whole album. each to their own :/

Back
Top Bottom