Ableton thread (tips and tricks, q and a)

hmm so i did found the loop drop down box but with either of the Loop/Trigger/Sync/beat option the clicking is still there and dunno why did u assumed i was making sub bass cause actually i am trying to make the "netsky" reese by LP sine weave. anyway im not that into ableton so can u be more specific whats that "right filter setup"
Much thanks in advance!

Bass/Sub is where clicking is most common, so I made the assumption, a Reese is sub, even if it has mid/hi-range sound aswell (unless you have filtered it out), which is why i was talking about Sub, thats where the problem is coming from, your Decay/Release settings need to be more carefully tweeked, increase them as far as they will go, then drop them down, until the clicking comes back, then increase a little bit more until it goes away...then you have found the sweet spot. Also if you have one note imediatlly following another, without a big enough gap to give the envelopes time to close, it will click, its rare to find this problem on sounds which dont contain Sub because the wavelengths are much smaller

Hey guys i got a problem.By accident i pressed "set as default" on a preset of analog and now every time i load it, the default clear analog is a dirty ass crap sounding tech synth and cant seem to find the "fixing" button ,so please help !

Love my Ableton, if you're into dubstep production TornadoTwins have a 7 day tutorial which allowed me to learn a shit ton! I always watch BoyInABand tutorials to learn WHY he does it, rather than what he does.

My two cents, spend wisely!

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

Alrighty.

Question 1:

How do I set up a bassline over a period of bars?

Question 2: The arrangement view. Wtf and how do I use o_O

I'm finding the step sequencer a bit confusing compared to FL...

Pal, I put a drum rack in, I set three up.

Make 1, click Cntrl D D D and make 3.

Rename Kick/Snare/Hats then select all and group em.

Then record like a 1 kick, 1 snare, some hats, and then you drag them over to the side view one, it's ahrd to explain man.

Question. When I make a midi clip and stretch it out over how ever many bars i want, its good initially. But after a while of dicking around and changing between session and arrangement the clip gets cut up into 2 or 3, sometimes 4 segments instead of staying as a 1 solid clip.

any ideas?

Love my Ableton, if you're into dubstep production TornadoTwins have a 7 day tutorial which allowed me to learn a shit ton! I always watch BoyInABand tutorials to learn WHY he does it, rather than what he does.

Thanks, I'm liking Tornado Twins' content. Though there's a lot of dispute about their use of Arrangement View to compose a drum track instead of Session View / Drum Rack. Thoughts? Arrangement View seems suitable if you know beforehand exactly what you're going to plan out but Session View is way better for trying things out it seems.

Also I am super newb so thanks for all this help everyone I am enjoying Ableton Live :)

Question. When I make a midi clip and stretch it out over how ever many bars i want, its good initially. But after a while of dicking around and changing between session and arrangement the clip gets cut up into 2 or 3, sometimes 4 segments instead of staying as a 1 solid clip.

any ideas?

might be a bit late only just saw this but if you select all the clips then hit ctrl+j it will consolodate them into one clip

Thanks, I'm liking Tornado Twins' content. Though there's a lot of dispute about their use of Arrangement View to compose a drum track instead of Session View / Drum Rack. Thoughts? Arrangement View seems suitable if you know beforehand exactly what you're going to plan out but Session View is way better for trying things out it seems.

Also I am super newb so thanks for all this help everyone I am enjoying Ableton Live :)
Who's disputing it? Why on earth would it matter how an artist creates their drum patterns?

If arrangement view is the playlist in ableton (never used it so wouldn't know) I can tell you that doing drums that way is is easiest for some and harder for others, all depends on your workflow, I do all my drums in audio so I can see how they're laid out and can clip tails and timestretch/rearrange on the fly.

Sent from mans Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk.

Any one know an easy way to favourite ur samples so its quicker to find the ones you like?

organise your hard drive folders... live doesn't create files like playlist or fav.
It just works exactly like Finder.

edit: advanced features on browsing I guess are coming soon with the v.9 Check the Ableton website

Last edited:
Any one know an easy way to favourite ur samples so its quicker to find the ones you like?

if you are talking about drum/synth samples, or anythign that works well in a drum machine set up, rack them up into kits and save into your library, otherwise as already suggested, folders are the only way with v8

Just downloaded last night Live 9 64 bit and a bad (expected) surprise... almost none of my old and fav plug ins are running into a 64 bit host... :((((

Be aware of this when you decide which system you download.

I'll download a 32 bit version and see if I can get back my loved Waves and co.

Also Ableton suggest to use the 32 bit version, unles you reallY need to use more than 4gb ram (which in most cases it's more than enough), but beware that you'll not be able to use your old plugins anymore... https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/64bit-myths-facts/

Last edited:
Really looking forward to trying out Live 9! I'm hoping slice to midi is every bit as awesome as they make it out to be.

I have an obscure question to do with shortcuts (in Ableton 8); Can I map shortcuts like slice, combine, new midi clip, etc to a midi controller?
Ive been pissing about with it for a while but I dont think you can map menu items which sucks. I have a small midi controller and want to try n' ninja up my workflow, any ideas?

Really looking forward to trying out Live 9! I'm hoping slice to midi is every bit as awesome as they make it out to be.

I have an obscure question to do with shortcuts (in Ableton 8); Can I map shortcuts like slice, combine, new midi clip, etc to a midi controller?
Ive been pissing about with it for a while but I dont think you can map menu items which sucks. I have a small midi controller and want to try n' ninja up my workflow, any ideas?

There might be a 3rd party program for that but I'm pretty sure you can't do it in Ableton.

I'm pretty sure you can do something like that with Max for Live. But need to tweak a bit on programming patches and modules.
I can't really help on that.

On the way passing by this thread, I recommend all the users of Live to stop on the packs section of the Ableton website and make sure you grab the free pack Mad Beatz
by KJ Sawka
!

Big sample pack builded for Live 9, with also included amazing MIDI groove clips!

Back
Top Bottom