Ableton sidechain compression question

Krispy

VIP Junglist
Probably a rather simple question for a lot of you but after much messing around can't seem to figure this out for some reason....
I want to create a ghost channel that combines the kick and the snare to use for sidechain compression. If I duplicate the channels but have them muted how do I still send to the ghost channel? I can't seem to figure it out for some reason because whenever I have them muted there is just no volume. It's probably so simple but I am being an idiot.

How do I send the duplicates of my kick and snare (that are muted) into another channel and have the channel display volume output
If that makes sense lol

If I am trying to route something to sidechain into a third party compressor or VST I usually use a send - send your kick, snare, whatever to 'Send C' then in the in/out routing out route it back to the channel with the VST (normally you can see the VST listed). This way you can also adjust the volume of how much you send and also you can even put a filter on the send channel itself if you only want certain parts (e.g. just the low end).

also in the sidechaining options on the compressor make sure you have it on "Pre FX" or "Post FX" and NOT "Post Mixer", cus then it will take the signal after it comes out the mixer (i.e. after you've muted it)

edit: unless you've muted it with an FX plugin (like a utility with the volume all the way down or a filter or something), in which case it needs to be on "Pre FX"!

also in the sidechaining options on the compressor make sure you have it on "Pre FX" or "Post FX" and NOT "Post Mixer", cus then it will take the signal after it comes out the mixer (i.e. after you've muted it)

edit: unless you've muted it with an FX plugin (like a utility with the volume all the way down or a filter or something), in which case it needs to be on "Pre FX"!

I believe you hit the nail on the head! I think I had it as post mixer :D

Thanks for the help everyone

allot of faffing about....load up Abletons compressor on ur bass channel, switch on the sidechain (little button top left) and choose a channel input, sorted

allot of faffing about....load up Abletons compressor on ur bass channel, switch on the sidechain (little button top left) and choose a channel input, sorted

Ya I understand that
What I am trying to do is have my kick and snare combined into one channel together (muted) and then send this to my bass channel compressor
The difficulty was getting the compressor to recognize this muted/combined channel
or I was doing the wrong thing while combining the two together

I believe the answer is to send them both to a channel that is muted and then have the compressor recognize this muted channel but make sure the compressor is not set to post mixer

Last edited:
Ya I understand that
What I am trying to do is have my kick and snare combined into one channel together (muted) and then send this to my bass channel compressor
The difficulty was getting the compressor to recognize this muted/combined channel
or I was doing the wrong thing while combining the two together

I believe the answer is to send them both to a channel that is muted and then have the compressor recognize this muted channel but make sure the compressor is not set to post mixer

or just use two compressors, I think that will give you better control esp of the envelope, attack and decay settings are important parts of the setup that are generally quite diffrent between a kick and a snare - but yeah, input to pre if its muted

Back
Top Bottom