1992 & Purity Control @ A Rave In A Bedroom, 03/20/2004

Novantadue
VIP Junglist
This is a very special live 2 hour tag team set which I did with an old friend whom I hadn't seen in years. This took place at "A rave in a bedroom". "Whats that?", you say? Why is my bedroom of course which is more like a nightclub then a place to sleep (expensive Martin brand DMX computerized lights, fog, 500 watt sub... you get the idea). "But why?", you say? Well with the demise of most of the decent mega clubs in the city, bouncers that ruff you up for getting autographs of djs, raves becoming teenage dance parties with poor music, the RAVE ACT, and my lack of ability to promote myself as a DJ or LJ, its nice to have a nightclub atmosphere right in my own living space which I can enjoy at the flick of a switch. Its only 200 pounds to get in mate (or a copy of finest illusion) ;)

The set isn't without it mistakes, I fancy it to an old Grooverider & Fabio set from 1992 which would be a set full of really great rarely heard tunes but with some rushed, & sometimes sloppy mixing. If the poster boys of hardcore can have off sets then so can we. :) The highlite for me with this set is how I was able to mix in slower tunes played fast at 45rpm and they still sounded really nice.

Alot of people have complained on the B2TOS forum that they don't like sets made by record collectors because record collectors know the tunes so well that mistakes would never naturaly happen. Well I can say that with this mix, I had not previously played most of the records I played. I had gotten a bunch of them fresh off Chris and so I only had a slight idea of how to arrange them.... so that should make the "I only want to listen to the original rave set" types interested in downloading this.

As for the tracklisting... I only really know what I played and since some of these records were new to me, I didn't even know I owned the tune I started out with. I was like, "Wow, this tune is really cool, I wish I had it....." Then I realized I did have it and was quite glad.

FYI Chris: When you get a chance, please fill in the missing spots including the cat numbers on the records. Thanks, and thanks for the set.... I was madly jammin to it at 3am after you had left :)

Photos of the club (these were made after the fact, inspired by Odi's thread on BBS board and when I remembered my mother got a digital camera for xmas):

DJ Booth 001:
DJ_Booth_01.jpg

DJ Booth 002:
DJ_Booth_02.jpg

DJ Booth 003:
DJ_Booth_03_we_play_drummer_of_doom_only.jpg

Mirror Ball & UFO Centerpiece:
Mirrorball_and_UFO.jpg

Yellow Gobos:
Yello_Gobos.jpg

Its not easy, being a green gobo:
Curtain_Call.jpg

A million colours running out of control:
The_Closet.jpg

Lighting Booth:
Light_Control.jpg

Me:
Thumbs_Up.jpg

Nibbles....:
Nibbles.jpg

Incomplete Tracklisting (I know its updated below, I'll fix it soon):

========Purity Control========

01). DJ Rap & Someoneelse "Vertigo" (Suburban Bass Cat???)

02). ????Grooving with the word of love????

03). ????Bang Bang Chitty Chitty Bang Bang???? *Frikken love this one!!!!!!!*

04). ????Wicked Jungle Tekno Jam????

05). ????Moby "Go" sampling amen roller????

06). Jim Polo "Underground Feeling" (Dark Horse 001) *I forgot I owned this one myself*

07). ????HANDS IN THE AIR ORBITAL CHIMES????

08). ????Don't Touch It says the ragga mon????

*pizza break*

09). ????Strange LFO "Mentok 1" sampling tune????

10). ????A mash up of Baby D and Manix????

11). Static Substance (DJ Seduction) "Ghetto People (Remix)" (Impact cat???)

12). ????Extremely Sexy house influenced hardcore choon???? *I love this!!*

13). ????Twisted Jungle Tekno tune w/ "outer limits" sample????

14). ????Mental amen based 'ardkore tune???? *frikken awesome*

15). ????Momore mash up amen action w/ hands in the air pianos????

16). ????Hands in the air high pitched keys... Very awesome????

=============1992=========

17). DJ Monita & DJ Monk "Time to get funky" (Skeleton Recordings SKEL006)

18). DJ Crystl "Suicidal" (Lucky Spin LSR0001)

19). Krakpotz "Soul Feel Free" (786 Approved 016) *didn't realize this record had such poor sound quality when I head it in the LTJ DS4 set*

20). DJ B & EZM "Shockin' to the break of dawn" (Vinyl Connection VCON2) *sounds better then the original press!!!*

21). Nookie "Drummer of Doom" (Reinforced Rivit1239) *kicking the arse of devotion every time*

22). Potential Bad Boy "New Style Part 3" (Ibiza 25)

23). Kerri "Kaoz" Chandler "Climax 1" (Shelter Records SHL-1004) *a 1993 nyc house choon sounding great at 45rpm. I wonder if this label has something to do with the famous club Shelter that had the Nasa parties?*

24). Two Dark Troopers "I Wanna Be Your Lover" (Basement Records BRSS 020)

25). Rebel Aliance "Sometimes" (Storm Trooper cat???)

26). ????Amen rinse out tune????

27). Brian "Bizzy B" Johnson "Obsessions" (Brain cat???)

28). ????Stompy amen tune w/ "good vibrations"????

29). ???? "Volume 3, Side 01" (4 The Floor Recordings 4TF3)

30). Sunshine Productions "I'll Be There" (Just Another Label 004)

31). Skanna "Until The Night is Morning" (Skanna cat???) *an mp3 from breakizm.com played back on a Numark DJ CDR player*

32). ????London Orbital Massive????

33). S.M.F. "Guilitine Remix" (SMF 004) *very nice*

34). ????FM Bass & Hoover bits inside????

35). Kid Andy & Nickle Bee "Come Fly With Me" (Boogie Beat BOG-R42T) *OMG, I want this one so bad... its possibly better then Finest Illusion GASP*

36). Sub State "We Got It" (Rogue Trooper TROOP005)

37). Harmony & Extreme "MUSIC!" (Lucky Spin LSR007) *I'm so happy I have this 12", my new all time favorite tune*

38). Speedy J "Something For Your Mind (Exposure Remix)" (Music Man 9308) *delightfully played at 45rpm. Also known as "Rise" according to Sir Panic on the Panic System Radio show out of Fordham University, NYC*

39). The Dok "Deep Breath" (89 Revival 002) *A Steller tune*

40). Hy Ryze "Ride The Rhythm" (Braink 007) *I can't listen to this record w/o hearing MC Long John saying "deeeee jaaaay phaaaaaaant assy" in my head*

41). Kid Unknown "Nightmare" (Warp 20) *my version of the legendary DJ phantasy mix of "Ride the rhythm" & "Nightmare"*

42). Sorted "Pigbag (DJ Phantasy Mix)" (Black Diamond PWLT 234) *the new one from dj phantasy, commin' out in the next couple of weeks...... LOL*

========Set Closer========

43). Orca "Sky Hook" (Lucky Spin ORCA6) *not the best set closer for this set but I had wanted to show Chris that this was a more interesting version of Acro "Sky Lab". I'm not sure which version was made first though. For whatever reason this tune reminds me of playing Mega Man 2 on the 8-bit nintendo as a kid*

Download:
The 128kbps 44khz 110mb 120min MP3

N-JOI! :love:

Last edited:
1992 said:
FYI Chris: When you get a chance, please fill in the missing spots including the cat numbers on the records.

Sure, no problem -- some of these I can remember offhand, others I'll have to fill in after listening to the set again. These are the ones I can remember for right now...

01). DJ Rap & Aston "Vertigo" (Suburban Bass SUBBASE21 A1)

02). EOAD "Move Me" (Future Sounds EO93 A1)

03). Wardance "F-Project #6 (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)" (F-Project WHITE006 A1)

05). Corruption Productions "Go Again" (Corruption Productions CP001 B1)

06). Jim Polo & Neil Vass "Underground Feeling" (Dark Horse 001 B1)

07). Dr. Skuf "The More I Get, The More I Want" (Vinyl Rhythm VR001 A1)

10). DJ's Experience "Volume 1 (Part 1)" (white label BOO001 A1)

11). Static Substance (DJ Seduction) "Ghetto People (Remix)" (Impact IMP013 B1)

13). Formula 7 "Dark Star" (Quayside FORMULA7 B1)

14). Eze-G "Data Dump EP (Part 2)" (Unatural Light MRI001 A2)

25). Rebel Aliance "Sometimes" (Stormtrooper ST002 B1)

27). Bizzy B & Technochild "Obsessions" (Brain DOPE13 B1)

28). Frantic & Impulse "4 The Floor Volume 1 (Part 2)" (4 The Floor 4TF1 B1)

33). S.M.F. "Guillotine (Psychotic Mix)" (Rugged Vinyl SMF004)

The rest will come after I manage to download this monster set. ;)

04). Jungle Pirate "Mutiny On The Bounty (Part 1)" (white label XTC003 A1)

This is the one you were talking about that you thought was on a Kickin' Six Pack because of the design on the label? All that's printed on the one side is "MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY" and then "JUNGLE PIRATE" below that... no idea what label if any it's on.

09.) Torchman "Tell Me" (Face FACE003 A1)

Vocals sampled out of Black Box "I Don't Know Anybody Else"... but never knew the LFO connection :)

All right, and this should finish off the listing...
Again, apologies for the dodginess of the majority of these mixes... a lot of these tunes it was my first time playing them as well :) And a certain "someone" assured me that he wasn't recording this... ;)

12.) Bonny "I'm Not In Love" (Pirate Club PCR003 A1)

15.) Old Trainers "Old Trainers EP (Part 4)" (white label 77777 B2)

16.) Cybernetic Empire "Ozone Storm" (Paradise PR005 A1)

26.) Frantic & Impulse "Volume 1 (Part 1)" (Homegrown HG004 A1)

32.) Corruption Productions "Love Me Right" (Corruption Productions CP001 A1)

34.) Dark & Moody "Dark & Moody Volume 3 (Part 3)" (Dark & Moody DARKT003 B1)

ACK! You had the Old Trainers EP with you?!?!?!?! Damn, if I knew that I would have had you play that nice mellow tune on there right after "New Style" like grooverider did in that Edge set that I love so much.

Is that a hard one to find? Its deffenetly on my "I'll pay 50 to get it" list along with Get busy crew and others. Speaking of which I tried to see if even BBS had "get busy crew" over the weekend..... I would have paid their gastly 50.00 price for it this time but alls I got was "no" and some customer with an english accent says to me "Thats quite a choon mate". ...Thanks guy with an english accent... that helps me ;P

Niceboots is running slow because it's got an enormous amount of people connected at the same time; unfortunately there's not much that we can do about that because, basically, the bandwidth is free but limited to a single T1. If we increase it any more than that we'd have to start paying for it, which with the amount of traffic the site gets, we can't really afford to do.

Have patience. Use a GetRight style program. It'll all come through in the end. :)

Steve, re the Old Trainers EP, managed to pick that one up off eBay when this one seller had masslisted like five hundred or so items, all with "buy it now"... ended up nabbing it for 17 pounds. Which is not bad considering the price I usually see it go for. I also ended up grabbing one of the early Basements from the same guy. And even better, when they arrived at my doorstep, they truly WERE in mint condition; looking like they'd never been played. So many times you get folks saying "oh mint condition yeah sure", and the record ends up looking like they took a steel wool pad to it... not this time. :)

In any case, it's coming as an EP of the week soon. I think I may put up an entire update's worth of white labels ;)

Only had a chance to have a quick listen, but I am liking it. I will have to grab some of my old tunes and do a set myself. ONly just found this site by accident, and its bringing too many good memories back.

I always find the best tapes I did (in the bedroom) were with a bag of brand knew tunes, played more or less at random with some of my recent ones thrown in. I never seemed to be able to make a better tape after.

Back
Top Bottom