1992 is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
about that oldskool board

nice vibe nobody cussing people posting long messages bright colors yeah thats nice. But... There is at least a million posts about how tech isnt good and the oldskool was and is the best and the retro thing is the salvation of the scene and... i mean shit, amens?

i dont know man that place freaks me out.

They can keep their white gloves and glow sticks to them selves .... YES the old skool was good but YES the scene is good now.

I still listen to stuff now like Moving Shadow 004 (2 Bad Mice - 2 Bad Mice / No Respect), old Sub Base Tunes, old Tone Def stuff and I still really like those tracks but you can't compare it to todays music ... which obs I also listen to!

Even though D&B has evolved from what was going on then it is essentially a different music now - it's roots are in the same place, it's just the leaves and branches have grown to cover a wider area, absorb more influences and technology and so the end result will reflect that ... the scene alongside the music moves on ... you get me?

Oh I don't know ... I'd say happy hardcore was the worse thing to happen to the scene (sorry Stuuu - I know you are trying to banish those distant memories by flogging your dodgy Dougal and Vibes collection ! LOL!!). Had to get that dig in ... LOL!! ;)

It's all progress I guess - you either keep up with it or you fall by the way side and end up listening to garage, wearing white slip on shoes and bigging up people who are stealing ideas the D&B people used years back!

Thats my $5 worth there I think! I'll shut up now! :rolleyes:

2Bad said:
Nah 2Bad as in Johnny 2 Bad (is a reggae song)

1992 as in?? (I really have to know this now as it has dragged on so long ... LOL!!)

1992 as in why not call myself 1992 as just about every sentence I write no matter what the topic ends up having the number 1992 in it. I got funny comments about this on the DnB Arena message list last spring ;) At first ppl were thinking I was someones alter-ego on DOA because I was a parody of my own self, saying 1992 this and 1992 that. Either you love me or you hate me, even better maybe you want to date me :D

2Bad said:
They can keep their white gloves and glow sticks to them selves .... YES the old skool was good but YES the scene is good now.

I still listen to stuff now like Moving Shadow 004 (2 Bad Mice - 2 Bad Mice / No Respect), old Sub Base Tunes, old Tone Def stuff and I still really like those tracks but you can't compare it to todays music ... *snip*
[/b]

Because todays music isn't as good as the 1992.

*Snip*

Oh I don't know ... I'd say happy hardcore was the worse thing to happen to the scene (sorry Stuuu - I know you are trying to banish those distant memories by flogging your dodgy Dougal and Vibes collection ! LOL!!). Had to get that dig in ... LOL!! ;)

No Happyhardcore was pure quality untill Scott Brown's "Now is the time" and Force & Styles came in to the picture. It went downhill fast, plunging head on into crappy music. You've got to respect the Happyhardcore 1993-1996.

*snip*

Thats my worth there I think! I'll shut up now! :rolleyes:

For a guy whos name is "2 Bad Mice" you sure seem to hate the golden age of dance music.
:rolleyes:

1992 said:
For a guy whos name is "2 Bad Mice" you sure seem to hate the golden age of dance music.
:rolleyes:

Learn to read - my name is not 2 Bad Mice it is 2 Bad, I have never claimed to name myself after 2 Bad Mice (who I have actually met!) and seeing as I hate that era of music so much how come that's when I was going out?? From 1990 onwards? How come I spent so much money on records from that era?? How come I still listen to that music now?? How come I made myself skint for years buying tunes and going raving?

I never said the music from those days was shit I said it is totally different to what is is now. There is no way you can say the music back then was better because it has over the years transformed itself into something else which is what has kept the scene alive .... constant evolution .... keeping fresh and at the forefront of the British dance scene!

Also how can the older music be better in terms of prodution and stuff when technology has advanced the music so far??

The old music is "classic" and still in my books good to listen to, bringing back loads of memories. The music now is quality and I hope it continues to be for a very long time.

Mate - don't start me off, America never had a 1990, '91 or '92 in terms of rave so you can't start cussing me for something which you weren't "technically speaking" involved in.

Do you see me going on about how hip-hop block parties were the greatest and how new rappers and the hip-hop scene now is all rubbish? No - I wasn't there so I can't comment (but I am into hip-hop as well so don't say I know shit about that either!).

Anyway - if you think old skool is so good then why keep listening to the new stuff if you think it's pants?

as a regular on b2vos, and here, im jumping in on this one, its not an attack, just a voice of opinion :)

Originally posted by 2Bad
I never said the music from those days was shit I said it is totally different to what is is now.
I agree there
There is no way you can say the music back then was better because it has over the years transformed itself into something else which is what has kept the scene alive ....
But Im gonna have to disagree there, I too prefer the older stuff, to me, its better, i'd rather listen to 95-98 DnB over the new stuff, like you said to 1992, im not saying its shit, its merely what I prefer
what defines music as better than X or Y is all on personal opinion, you could get a Garage follower coming on here saying how its sooooo much better than DnB, in their mind it is, in ours, obviously not, it doesnt mean we're right, or we're wrong, its all based on opinion what is better or not

Also how can the older music be better in terms of prodution and stuff when technology has advanced the music so far??
Talking on old skool hardcore, new technology is IMO to blame for some of the wank lets call it 'nu-skool' that is coming out, it aint got that 1992 (or 91, or 93 for that matter lol) vibe to it, because, its being written on more advanced technology, the old skool has a certain touch, that new technology today just cant seem to replicate, for me personally, its just not the same vibe

But Im gonna have to disagree there, I too prefer the older stuff, to me, its better, i'd rather listen to 95-98 DnB over the new stuff, like you said to 1992, im not saying its shit, its merely what I prefer

basically you can compare apples and oranges too and youre perfectly free to think which ever is better but fact remains youre still comparing apples and oranges.

just not the same is it. And the supply of oldskool tunes is limited where as the modern dnb (and nu skool) definitely isnt. Means itsa dying form and soon the only way to discover it will be through modern dnb -> checking the history of the music.

like 2bad said, oldskool is classic material and i wouldnt diss it for the world. But its got nothing on the modern sound.

besides the modern sound what ever that is is so diverse right now that it cant be definded by one sound.

...which oldskool can in two words, amen and sub. Ive got loads of oldskool jungle compilations, almost 9 hours worth of playtime and its fun to listen to and all that. Isnt very intelligent music tho.

If you all take a real deep dive im sure that youll find at least one tune or one artists (or even a whole style, who knows) somewhere to tickle your fancy.

thats what i think anyway.

if theres any grammar you dont agree with i appologize, im a little drunk, gonna head on down to the party now.

Originally posted by logikz

basically you can compare apples and oranges too and youre perfectly free to think which ever is better but fact remains youre still comparing apples and oranges.

Im comparing old drum n bass to new drum n bass, its dnb, no apples and oranges about it
if i were comparing old 70's queen songs to 90's queen songs would i be comparing apples and oranges then too?
And the supply of oldskool tunes is limited where as the modern dnb (and nu skool) definitely isnt. Means itsa dying form
wrong wrong wrong, breaming with wrongability ;)
the supply of old skool tunes is far from limited, look at ebay, when do you see new tunes auctioned apart from promo's? RARELY
I have ooh, i think about 130 odd tunes now, less than 10 are new tunes, I manage to pick up 15-20 old tunes every shopping trip
it is FAR from a dying form
like 2bad said, oldskool is classic material and i wouldnt diss it for the world. But its got nothing on the modern sound.
you have just made a prime example on my whole point, whats better depends on personal opinion, I could argue with you till someone can ice skate uphill whats the better, and we'd never agree

besides the modern sound what ever that is is so diverse right now that it cant be definded by one sound.
its defined by genre, what we're talking about, dnb, and /or old skool hardcore

...which oldskool can in two words, amen and sub. Ive got loads of oldskool jungle compilations, almost 9 hours worth of playtime and its fun to listen to and all that. Isnt very intelligent music tho.
it was intelligent for its time, look at Dread Bass, labelled a classic in the DnB scene, it was the first tune to use reversed bass...like 2bad pointed out, technology has advanced

If you all take a real deep dive im sure that youll find at least one tune or one artists (or even a whole style, who knows) somewhere to tickle your fancy.
yeh, i never said I dont like any new dnb tune out, ska is a good tune i love to play, I could also list a few more..
i'll repeat what is aid in my last post ' i think the older stuff is better, but it doesnt mean the new stuff is shit'

Who said it had to be intelligent? And what the fuck is "intelligent" music anyway?
Does that mean there is "thick" music too?

If anything, the limited equipment ment the tunes had ALOT more thought and originality put into them. Every tune was totally different from the next.
Where as now, 99% of all dnb that comes out is totally bland crap. Take Dillinja for example, you can all spot one of his tunes from a mile off, why? Cause its always the same tedious drums and distorted bass. Boring.

Intelligent was a term coined by the media so they could describe all the Bukem / Goodlooking / Creative Source style sounds. It's a rubbish way of describing it and I've seen plenty of interviews with people like Bukem who hate the term - the music is more intelligent ... but that ain't the right word for it.

As far as I'm concerned it's all drum and bass and that's that! Why try to pigeon hole certain styles? Thats just something the media like to do.

DJ Destiny said:
If anything, the limited equipment ment the tunes had ALOT more thought and originality put into them. Every tune was totally different from the next.
Where as now, 99% of all dnb that comes out is totally bland crap. Take Dillinja for example, you can all spot one of his tunes from a mile off, why? Cause its always the same tedious drums and distorted bass. Boring.

Dillinjas sound has become recognisable because he has built up a style as have many other artists .... such as Bad Company, most of the Ram crew, Photek, Alex Reece, Digital, Total Science, Calibre .... etc .... etc!

Did the tunes really have much more thought and originality back then?? I'm not so sure if that is true!! Did every tune really sound different?? I definitly think not!! Even back then people were constantly remixing and sampling each others stuff and putting it back out!

I know all about the intelligent era regarding Bukems 95 era.
But that wasnt the point. The term was being used in a different way, someone said it wasnt intelligent enough meaning it didnt have enough thought put into it.
So I was asking what it meant in that respect, nothing to do with the genre that was "intelligent" Bukem type stuff.

2Bad said:
Dillinjas sound has become recognisable because he has built up a style as have many oter artists .... such as Bad Company, most of the Ram crew, Photek, Alex Reece, Digital, Total Science, Calibre .... etc .... etc!

I think thats the main reason I dont like most of the newer stuff, its the same artists throwing out the same style, all the time
I wanna buy tunes that are nothing like anything else, I dont wanna say 'oooh, that sounds like Dillinja' or 'oooh, that must be ram'
i wanna be able to pick up a tune and say 'fuuuuck, this is wicked, ive never never heard anything like this!'

yeah, maybe im too picky about it, but thats the feeling im with on the new stuff, same old shit, all the time

True, but when people do build up a certain style it's always cool when they surprise you with something totally off the wall!! :)

Somtimes when people do something different the masses just don't like to accept it!

When Dillinja did Nasty Ways there was this big thing about using vocals in D&B - I mean where is the problem in that?? I couldn't see one and it wasn't as if it was the first time it had been done but it seems to have been more accepted now.

Seems so funny - people are all worried when something like that happens but Shake Ur Body has vocals, a bloody video and is without a doubt going to storm the charts and nobody seems worried!

Personally I think there is another re-invention coming along anyway. Hopefully we'll go through another "dark" era to take it all back underground again! ;)

2Bad said:
True, but when people do build up a certain style it's always cool when they surprise you with something totally off the wall!! :)
Most definately! but Im just not seeing that enough lately

When Dillinja did Nasty Ways there was this big thing about using vocals in D&B - I mean where is the problem in that?? I couldn't see one and it wasn't as if it was the first time it had been done but it seems to have been more accepted now.
Thats where the artists fuck up, they fit themselves into their own style, then find it very hard to break out of it to try something new, so the scene stays the same, and no diversity happens (or if it does, it takes a fuckin age to get it anywhere)
Seems so funny - people are all worried when something like that happens but Shake Ur Body has vocals, a bloody video and is without a doubt going to storm the charts and nobody seems worried!
Im one that aint too worried, Shake Ur Body has started to be questioned if its even DnB or not, I think some will explore the scene a bit more after hearing it, but as its quite a, dare i say "commercial" tune, I dont think DnB offers what they're looking for, and they'll soon look for something else inspiring (the next Fragma tune most likely :P )
Personally I think there is another re-invention coming along anyway. Hopefully we'll go through another "dark" era to take it all back underground again! ;)
I still think the scene is underground, everyone loves ska, its been caned everywhere, but unlike bodyrock and shake ur body, in the commercial world, its just unheard of
1 or 2 tunes breaking chart status isnt really anything to worry about, its merely their popularity that got the tunes that far, as destiny said, its only in the charts cuz so many DJ's bought the tune, it was all on sales
Shake Ur Body has been caned for what? 5-6 months?
Shy FX knew everyone was dying for it and has taken it further by making a video etc, because he knows its gonna rocket in the sales numbers, and well, hes taking advantage of it
the underground bassheads made shake ur body popular, because until recently, thats only where it was being played, at DnB nights where the tenny bopper chart junkies dont frequent

I think the scene is safe :)

Sassy said:
I think the scene is safe :)

Oh yeah - don't get me wrong, I don't for one minute think the chart impending chart success of Shake Ur Body will ruin things but the music is getting more and more popular in terms of recent chart success ..... I'm just hoping there is gonna be another surge of really off-key stuff to "help keep it underground" for want of a better term!

I just wanna hear some real filth!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom