Starting with Hardware

by that reasoning the daw is not only a sampler but a drummachine and a synth too, which is true but certainly doesnt prove much. and electribes are shit with or without midi. do you know anything about samplers or are you just blabbering now, are you aware of what emu samplers do? or cost for that matter?
i can only assume youre joking.

by that reasoning the daw is not only a sampler but a drummachine and a synth too, which is true but certainly doesnt prove much. and electribes are shit with or without midi. do you know anything about samplers or are you just blabbering now, are you aware of what emu samplers do? or cost for that matter?
i can only assume youre joking.

Excuse me? If you want to be pedantic, then yes... a Host can do it all.

Electribes are amazing for what they do and what they cost... I'm sorry, but you're retarded if you think they're "shit". Name me another "box" that does what the EA MKII or ER MKII does for $200ish and I'll kiss your ass and bark like a fox.

I've got enough Gear to go to War and destroy most, so don't ask me if I know what a sampler is.

No assumptions needed, it must suck not knowing how to Midi up your "useless" hardware to your Host..... lol
:boxing:

Excuse me? If you want to be pedantic, then yes... a Host can do it all.

Electribes are amazing for what they do and what they cost... I'm sorry, but you're retarded if you think they're "shit". Name me another "box" that does what the EA MKII or ER MKII does for $200ish and I'll kiss your ass and bark like a fox.

I've got enough Gear to go to War and destroy most, so don't ask me if I know what a sampler is.

No assumptions needed, it must suck not knowing how to Midi up your "useless" hardware to your Host..... lol
:boxing:

quoted for posterity haha go to war with your hardware what are you twelve haha

Personally I wouldn't bother buying any 'cheap' digital gear as you will pretty quickly get tired of it.

I certainly wouldn't buy any cheap outboard signal processors or effects unless you really know what you are doing and can afford to buy something that is only going to sound good used in one or two certain ways.

My advice would be to buy an actual analogue synth. Have a look around and see what is available in your price range. Although cheap analogue synths are pretty limited in terms of what they can do, they will always do it better than something on your computer - this is not the case for signal processing or virtual-analogue/digital synths until you spend decent money.

Something you might like to look at are the modular systems that you can add to every time you get a bit more money. You start with an empty box and then buy a filter, then an oscillator, then keep adding modules as your budget allows :)

quoted for posterity haha go to war with your hardware what are you twelve haha

You asked if I knew what a Sampler was so I replied with a statement of equal siilyness.

How's not knowing how to use Midi working out for you.....
:wave:

All i know is, when I sample a bit into the sampler i just bought and then back into the compooter again, it sounds much fatter, even when peaking at the same volume. Maybe its the converters, maybe the preamps on my mixer, maybe its all in my head but hey. it just works for me aight?

A. Personally I wouldn't bother buying any 'cheap' digital gear as you will pretty quickly get tired of it.

B. My advice would be to buy an actual analogue synth. Have a look around and see what is available in your price range. Although cheap analogue synths are pretty limited in terms of what they can do, they will always do it better than something on your computer - this is not the case for signal processing or virtual-analogue/digital synths until you spend decent money.

C. Something you might like to look at are the modular systems that you can add to every time you get a bit more money. You start with an empty box and then buy a filter, then an oscillator, then keep adding modules as your budget allows :)

A. The same can be said for the hobby of making music as well. I have just as much fun with my LilPhatty as I do with any of my Electribe boxes. Making noise is fun.

B. Disagreed... although Vanguard is never going to sound as rich or as lively as the LilPhatty does, it's easily as 'useable' for making music. Please quantify "decent money". I say this, because there is quality for cheap and for boku money... this can be said for Analog synths, as well as Softsynths and Digital synths.

C. The OP is looking to buy his first piece of hardware... and you suggest a Modular synth... I'm sorry but that's going overboard imo. Modulars are insanely expensive not to mention the OP has never owned a piece of hardware. I guess one can start anywhere no doubt:D... but starting with Niche hardware doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I'm not trying to discredit your suggestions, I just think the OP needs to look at something cheap, useable, and fun... like Kama said initially... buy something that's decent-solid at a used price. For less than $300, Korg has some solid options in the used market. Generally, everything else including decent Samplers are going to be more expensive than $300.

All i know is, when I sample a bit into the sampler i just bought and then back into the compooter again, it sounds much fatter, even when peaking at the same volume. Maybe its the converters, maybe the preamps on my mixer, maybe its all in my head but hey. it just works for me aight?

If it sounds good, it sounds good = that works for you.

I have an old Roland VS-880 and I used to love running my hardware synths through it's cheap fx because I would get a beefy sound that way... but honestly, after being introduced to what the DAW can do, I don't ever run anything through the 880 anymore. I go from the Hardware straight into the Sound Card = cleanest sound.

What you're doing is D-A, then A-D which is giving you a decent amount of noise I'm sure... but again, if it sounds cool to your ears (and I've heard your tracks:D, they jam), then go with it.

I'm curious, what kind of Sound Card do you have and what is your Noise Floor at? In case you've never checked/know how to do it... simply open up your Host, arm a channel to record your Sound Cards inputs (don't have anything input to them), and record a second of 'nothing'. Then go look at it in your Wav Editor of choice... what DB is the noise at in the recording? That's your noise floor.

You asked if I knew what a Sampler was so I replied with a statement of equal siilyness.

nobody asked if you know what a sampler is, read it again.
i asked if you are aware of what emu samplers do and how much they cost and you went 'to war with your hardware to destroy most' haha yeah that is a bit silly isnt it

How's not knowing how to use Midi working out for you.....
:wave:

working out just fine, if you want to hear a tune just ask.

speaking from my own experience - all the budget gear I have ever bought I have now sold or am unable to sell and is sat in a little pile in the corner of my studio. When I bought that stuff I had no choice cos there was no such thing as a DAW. Now there is, and while I agree messing on with any bit of hardware is fun, ultimately if you actually want to be productive and write music you will end up using the DAW for pretty much everything...unless the bit of hardware has a fantastic sound - which (with a few notable exceptions) you are not going to get from anything under £400 s/h

The korg units are great (I've owned an ER-1 and an EA-1) but both are much more suited to live performance and techno. The EA-1 is very, very limited as a synth. The ER-1 is capable of producing some great sounds but no better than a cheap analogue synth (which will do a whole lot more besides).

The reason I suggested a modular analogue is that given my time again this is what I would have started with. You can buy a basic frame for £60 new from Doepfer and filters and oscillator modules start from £120. Buy a box and stick a filter in it and have fun putting signals through. Leave it a couple of months and buy an oscillator. The advantage of this approach is that you learn to get as much as you possibly can from each new module as you build.

The great thing about opinions is that everyone has one...but that is my tuppence worth :)

id be very interested to hear some modular sounds, are you using it now?

No, don't have one yet but that will be the next thing I start buying. They are just like any other synth but with the advantage that you don't have to buy them all at once.

mate of mine whos running an almost 100% analog studio was saying the same thing, next purchase he makes will be a modular synth, and his set up is already madddddddd. but he speaks very highly of it, says it will be one of them old phone board from the 1920s jobbys

Back
Top Bottom