Monitors

It doesn't really work like that. There are phase issues and 2 pairs will not surely compliment each other as they are designed to be played alone or with a sub. It's good to have a few options in the house however, to easily A/B mixes between different systems. I have these old 80's hifi speakers connected to an older amp, alongside my monitors. I can flip between the speakers with a click of a button. I do most of my listening and some gaming on the hifi thing, the sound is much better in other parts of the room than just the sweet spot of the monitors. I can have them both on while producing but the sound is not good at all, they sort of interfere with each other.

That sounds pretty handy mate.

I mix with a sub which is fairly helpfull but i think it is a bit off putting sometimes. With my current set up ive kinda adapted to it or learnt it. I do a/b comparisons with other artists and my stuff and can get mildly accurate.... but i just know im missing something without the monitors.

Do you mix with just the monitors and then check it with the sub from time to time to make sure the low end is punching as it should?

Yeah pretty much. The hifi set I have is not very accurate, so I usually it to listen to what I've managed to put together at the end of the session. I have no sub, I check the low end with headphones. I'm also lucky enough to have the option to check out my tunes on a full scale club rig every month or so. That's where the lowest of the low end really comes out.

Yeah pretty much. The hifi set I have is not very accurate, so I usually it to listen to what I've managed to put together at the end of the session. I have no sub, I check the low end with headphones. I'm also lucky enough to have the option to check out my tunes on a full scale club rig every month or so. That's where the lowest of the low end really comes out.

Having access like that to a club rig is quality, i used to have access back when i was in college but that all stopped a few years ago. It must be satisfying when your mix translates well on a proper system.... ever had a "back to the drawing board" moment from hearing it on the system?

2 words - Cross reference!

Your particular setup will sound as individual as the next. I've made tunes where they've sounded super tight through my setup but then taken them to a mate's and tried them out there. They sounded really bass heavy. So I went back and tweaked some more.

ANYWAY - what I'm getting to is the more setups you can here your things on, the better as you can tweak levels to find an even mix. Once you've got your settings tight and whatever you're making sounds consistent (as you can make it). Then you know you're doing the right thing as far as mixing down's concerned.]

After that - take it to be mastered!

Hope this helps a little!

what kind of budget are you looking at?

(I'm selfishly hoping its around the 150 mark as I need some myself and could do with being pointed in the right direction.. :D )

Probably around 100 to 400 bucks man, depends how impatient i get with the saving lol. It doesnt help that im in and out out of work all the time too, love the time off but hate the skint-ness.:D

Back
Top Bottom