Looking to help people in production

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
It's been a very long time since I posted anything here. havnt had the passion (or time) I used to have for production but im starting to get the itch again

just figured I'd stop in, say hi to anyone who remembers me and offer my limited knowledge for anyone who has any production related questions.

For any of the newer blood here who don't know me, I spent years here, pretty much learnt everything I know from this place. had a few digital releases under my belt and consider myself "moderately knowledgable" in production.

so fire away, if I can help, I will

I got this sore on my Willy, but the Catholic Girl I have been having sex with, swears she is a virgin. Should I see a doctor?

How is that baby of yours and, how old now? And glad to see you back in production. Still a chef?

On a production note, surgical we tutorial could use a comeback.

No need to see a doctor, just pop to your local hardware store, grab yourself a mitre saw, lay your flaccid penis out and begin to hack that disease ridden piece of flesh right off!

daughter is doing well, not so much a baby anymore as she will be 3 in July. yeah I'm still a chef, recently landed myself a new job as head chef in a country club.

surgical EQ you say? I'll dig around my old posts as I covered that subject pretty extensively in the past

With regards to layering basses, is there a solid universal rule? For example is it better to have x4 layers at a lower volume or x2 layers at a higher volume. Or does this always depend on the track? Cheers

Easy mate, big ups for offering your help.

Any tutorial on mixing, achieving balance and how to get your levels right in regard to sub and tops for dnb would be really useful.

With regards to layering basses, is there a solid universal rule? For example is it better to have x4 layers at a lower volume or x2 layers at a higher volume. Or does this always depend on the track? Cheers

kinda depends what kind of bass you're creating. volume doesn't really come into play regarding the moulding of layers. This is done with EQ and other post processing. Once you have moulded the layers into one overall sound you can easily adjust the volume if all layers are grouped together

Easy mate, big ups for offering your help.

Any tutorial on mixing, achieving balance and how to get your levels right in regard to sub and tops for dnb would be really useful.

don't really have time right now for a full tutorial as such but ill offer up a few pointers.

With regards to EQ it's almost always better to cut frequencies than boost them. by cutting frequencies from a sound you are giving more room for other elements to shine through the mix. by boosting, you're filling up space which may be needed by other sounds. For instance;
you have a nice snare that punches around the 400hz range, but once the track drops, you realise it loses a lot of power. first thoughts are to EQ the snare, boosting it around that 400hz range to push it through the mix harder. However, if you know 400hz is the peak frequency for that snare sound, go through your other elements of the track and see which sound is also taking up a fair amount of that range, then using a notch filter, with a sharp Q and cut that frequency out. you'll notice this frees up some space to help the snare come out more.

regarding levels for me personally it all boils down to trusting your ears. never boost volumes above 0db, if a channel isn't loud enough at 0db try lowering the overall gain of your other channels. also something to consider is if you ever want a track mastered professionally most mastering guys will want your track anywhere between -3db to -6db. so nothing can peak over -3db. This is so they have enough headroom to work with to be able to bring out the best of your track

don't really have time right now for a full tutorial as such but ill offer up a few pointers.

With regards to EQ it's almost always better to cut frequencies than boost them. by cutting frequencies from a sound you are giving more room for other elements to shine through the mix. by boosting, you're filling up space which may be needed by other sounds. For instance;
you have a nice snare that punches around the 400hz range, but once the track drops, you realise it loses a lot of power. first thoughts are to EQ the snare, boosting it around that 400hz range to push it through the mix harder. However, if you know 400hz is the peak frequency for that snare sound, go through your other elements of the track and see which sound is also taking up a fair amount of that range, then using a notch filter, with a sharp Q and cut that frequency out. you'll notice this frees up some space to help the snare come out more.

regarding levels for me personally it all boils down to trusting your ears. never boost volumes above 0db, if a channel isn't loud enough at 0db try lowering the overall gain of your other channels. also something to consider is if you ever want a track mastered professionally most mastering guys will want your track anywhere between -3db to -6db. so nothing can peak over -3db. This is so they have enough headroom to work with to be able to bring out the best of your track

Thanks mate, some wicked advice in there! I've been producing on my dj headphones up until now and I found I always had real problems when translating those mixes onto my mate's monitors, so I've bought my self some Yamaha's monitors and a couple of good EQ's to hopefully bridge the gap. I'm looking forward to hearing clarity all the time now.

Back
Top Bottom