Just ordered iscratch mixlive digital vinyl system. Coupla questions.

picked this up the other week and finally got round to setting up today..

Got it working fine with traktor after a bit of fiddling, both decks working great. With traktor you can also play proper vinyl through it aswell using the phono button on the soundcard (don't think you can do this on their own software). Timecodes aren't that responsive, especially if you're used to playing vinyl, but for mixing it does the job pretty well.

Only gripe is the sound quality, lots of pops and crackling.. should hopefully be able to sort that one out though.

All in all it's pretty good for 40 quid..

Sorry to keep on mate, but seriously, how the hell did you get it working with traktor?

Sorry to keep on mate, but seriously, how the hell did you get it working with traktor?

yeah no worries, like i said.. it just kind of worked, no unusual settings or anything. This is what my i set the preferences on traktor to (when the soundcard is plugged in and the timecodes are set up)

1. Go to audio setup, set the audio device to iscratch mixlive, change latency settings to normal under the asio header (5.5 ms) if you get cracks and pops

2. Go to output routing, set mixing mode to external. set channel A Left to Out 1, set channel A Right to Out 2, Channel B Left to Out 3, Channel B Right to Out 4

3. Go to input routing. Exactly the same setup as for output, set input channel A Left to In 1, channel A Right to In 2 etc..

4. Go to timecode setup. Set audio 4/8 input mode to timecode vinyl. assign timecode channel A to deck A, channel B to deck B

And thats pretty much it, nothing special really.. If doing that doesnt work i dont know really.. maybe the mixlive software and driver is controlling the soundcard exclusively so you cant use it with other applications (had that a couple of years ago with a midi controller once)

The whole setup is pretty weird to be honest anyway.. having to play 33rpm timecodes at 45 rpm to get them to work, the mixlive software not working at all.. To top it all off when i had a mix today while playing a tune traktor decided it'd be fun to start playing the tune backward :S

Just have to keep telling myself it was 40 quid..

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

also what version of traktor are you using?

Hmm, followed it exactly and still no joy.

Traktor Scratch Pro 1.2.1, how about you?

I have no problems with the mixlive software tbh, its awesome.
The tracks playing backwards problem means its getting the left and right channels the wrong way round. Check your phono's.

Last edited:
Hmm, followed it exactly and still no joy.

Traktor Scratch Pro 1.2.1, how about you?

I have no problems with the mixlive software tbh, its awesome.
The tracks playing backwards problem means its getting the left and right channels the wrong way round. Check your phono's.

I'm using traktor scratch pro 1.2.4. Don't know what the differences are between 1.2.1 and 1.2.4

yeah the backwards problem is weird, it plays the tracks forward so the phonos are ok, but then occasionally it just switches instantly to from forward to playing backwards. Closing down traktor and opening it seems to fix it but it's not the kind of thing you want to happen when playing out..

Not had that problem at all mate :/.

Works perfectly in the mixlive software. Whats wrong with your mixlive software?

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

W00t! Got timecodes working in traktor scratch.

It wont do absolute mode though :(. Im assuming it doesnt recognise the timecodes, so im going to have to get traktor ones? Or does absolute mode work for you?

Not had that problem at all mate :/.

Works perfectly in the mixlive software. Whats wrong with your mixlive software?

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

W00t! Got timecodes working in traktor scratch.

It wont do absolute mode though :(. Im assuming it doesnt recognise the timecodes, so im going to have to get traktor ones? Or does absolute mode work for you?

nice one. what was the problem?

haven't tried absolute yet

nice one. what was the problem?

haven't tried absolute yet

I just cheekily got myself a copy of your version and it detected everything fine.

Might invest in some traktor timecodes though if theyre not too expensive.

How do you switch between absolute and relative in traktor?

How do you switch between absolute and relative in traktor?

Next to the play buttons are 2 buttons. The vinyl symbol without tonearm is relative, the blue one with tonearm is absolute.

Absolute: the position of the stylus on the record = where the tune is playing (like you would be playing a real record)
Relative: the position of the stylus on the record =/ where the tune is playing. For example when using loops and stuff. Everything on your turntable still works as normal now, but you can't search by lifting the stylus and putting it elsewhere.

Last edited:
Next to the play buttons are 2 buttons. The vinyl symbol without tonearm is relative, the blue one with tonearm is absolute.

Absolute: the position of the stylus on the record = where the tune is playing (like you would be playing a real record)
Relative: the position of the stylus on the record =/ where the tune is playing. For example when using loops and stuff. Everything on your turntable still works as normal now, but you can't search by lifting the stylus and putting it elsewhere.

Yeah i know what it is >_< just didnt know how to select it lol.

Cheers, i thought thats what those 2 buttons were.

Hmm, doesnt seem to want to have it. Im gonna hazard a guess that it doesnt like the timecode signal. Ive tried the Mixlive vinyl and serato control vinyl. Both to no avail. Might borrow some traktor timecodes and see if it works.

Im not really too bothered tbh, the mixlive software is fine, traktor would of course be better though. Im just a "that doesnt work.... hmm... why the fuck doesnt it work and how can i get it working" kind of person lol.

Yeah i know what it is >_< just didnt know how to select it lol.

Cheers, i thought thats what those 2 buttons were.

Hmm, doesnt seem to want to have it. Im gonna hazard a guess that it doesnt like the timecode signal. Ive tried the Mixlive vinyl and serato control vinyl. Both to no avail. Might borrow some traktor timecodes and see if it works.

Im not really too bothered tbh, the mixlive software is fine, traktor would of course be better though. Im just a "that doesnt work.... hmm... why the fuck doesnt it work and how can i get it working" kind of person lol.

haha same here bruv :D

Why not using the vdj then, if it works there? I know that it hasn't the greatest name in the industry by far. Just never mention you used vdj, so people won't assume you used auto beatmatch... The program works pretty good, so I'd suggest you use vdj until you find a bargain on traktor? I bought my traktor pro when NI did the 50% off thing before the 2 came out. If you bag traktor duo at -50% it's really affordable. There's hardly a difference between duo & pro. 2 or 4 decks which means a pricier audio interface... + a few extra effects in the pro, i think that's pretty much it for the differences...

haha same here bruv :D

Why not using the vdj then, if it works there? I know that it hasn't the greatest name in the industry by far. Just never mention you used vdj, so people won't assume you used auto beatmatch... The program works pretty good, so I'd suggest you use vdj until you find a bargain on traktor? I bought my traktor pro when NI did the 50% off thing before the 2 came out. If you bag traktor duo at -50% it's really affordable. There's hardly a difference between duo & pro. 2 or 4 decks which means a pricier audio interface... + a few extra effects in the pro, i think that's pretty much it for the differences...

Timecodes in virtual dj are shit, i used it for about 15 minutes but it was just too glitchy for me to even give it the time of day.
Ive got nothing against virtual dj, its just not ideal for my setup.

Aha. Anyway, i'd just wait for NI to do another offer. Or buy it off gumtree/ebay? Just replace the timecode vinyls and you're off :)

Aha. Anyway, i'd just wait for NI to do another offer. Or buy it off gumtree/ebay? Just replace the timecode vinyls and you're off :)

Well in all fairness the only reason why i got this dvs was to tie me over til i could afford serato lol. Im not a massive fan of traktor either, but its definately the lesser of 2 evils when its between Traktor and Mixlive lol.

Well in all fairness the only reason why i got this dvs was to tie me over til i could afford serato lol. Im not a massive fan of traktor either, but its definately the lesser of 2 evils when its between Traktor and Mixlive lol.

I'd like to use serato once... I'm really happy with Traktor, and i'm wondering what could be better. Since the price of serato is quite higher...

Be sure to let me know when you've got it! :)

I'd like to use serato once... I'm really happy with Traktor, and i'm wondering what could be better. Since the price of serato is quite higher...

Be sure to let me know when you've got it! :)

Ive tried both, and i hands down prefer serato, its a nice no fuss solution. It just works and does exactly what you want it to do. Really nice to navigate around and the waveforms are pretty awesome. But its personal preference really isnt it.

Yeah probably :) Serato is a bit too dark for me too, it's already dark enough most of the time when playing, so a colourful screen is a tad nicer to look at imo :)

Yeah probably :) Serato is a bit too dark for me too, it's already dark enough most of the time when playing, so a colourful screen is a tad nicer to look at imo :)

Thats one of the things i dont like about traktor lol, does my head in looking at it in a dark room. Its like when i found the Night Mode on my satnav, it put an end to my nighttime driving headaches lol.

Thats one of the things i dont like about traktor lol, does my head in looking at it in a dark room. Its like when i found the Night Mode on my satnav, it put an end to my nighttime driving headaches lol.

hahaha, the 2 appears to be darker, blue waveforms instead of bright yellow and all, probably for that reason...

Last edited:
Hi guys, new here.
I have bought this dvs system and although the basic idea of it is good I cant get it working properly :( When I load a track into deck 2 it starts near the end of the song and doesnt/wont start again. I have it in he mode absolute I think where it should treat my song like a vinyl and I should be able to just drop the needle to anywhere on the time code and it picks p from there but it is not working.
Can any one tell me why? Have you had this problem? Really annoying as I want to get mixing and only have a few vinyls that wont play at the same time as intimidation is on also. I knew it was basic and pretty crap when I bought it but it could at least work on basic mixing of tracks.
Help please....

Back
Top Bottom