Forthcoming Samurai Music releases

I don't understand your issue, 808. You're this upset about audio previews? Really? If you can't deal with it then just wait until audio previews are available and let those of us who support the label do our thing in the meantime. Your whole stance is contradictory. You went from saying that you "stand by what you say" to saying that you "love stirring things up". Which is it? Admitting that you just wanted to be an asshole for whatever reason is far more respectful than backpedaling. The whole shotgun a shitty comment and then run and lurk thing is a terrible look. You post a lot, you should know this.

Okay since Geoff seems to be pulling a Kasra here I'll put this to bed right now.

Do I get bothered by the fact that no audio previews are available for tracks that are offered up for sale? YES

If I just wanted to buy vinyl I'd go to my local home depot and buy all the vinyl I'd ever need! :teeth:
But the product I'm buying is not just the wax, it's the music on it. And I like to inspect a product before I throw my hard earned cash at something that is a luxury.

So yea I got upset and called it a ?? move. And that's how I truly feel about it from a business perspective. I have a lot of respect for Geoff and what he's done for the DnB community and how he reaches out to us on here. But him being a nancy about me saying I'm not happy about how he sells records in a "crude" way is a bit pathetic.

My stirring the pot comment was also made in response to the surprising responses to my comment. If i had made the same comment about a lesser label or one not as beloved no one would of blinked. So everyone getting their tits twisted about it to the point that basswhore's look attractive in comparison is a bit silly.

By the way Geoff, on the merch tip, if Samurai ever decides to offer up Samurai coffee mugs, I'll buy two of them. Just saying since you're in here.

Also +1

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay since Geoff seems to be pulling a Kasra here I'll put this to bed right now.

Do I get bothered by the fact that no audio previews are available for tracks that are offered up for sale? YES

If I just wanted to buy vinyl I'd go to my local home depot and buy all the vinyl I'd ever need! :teeth:
But the product I'm buying is not just the wax, it's the music on it. And I like to inspect a product before I throw my hard earned cash at something that is a luxury.

So yea I got upset and called it a ?? move. And that's how I truly feel about it from a business perspective. I have a lot of respect for Geoff and what he's done for the DnB community and how he reaches out to us on here. But him being a nancy about me saying I'm not happy about how he sells records in a "crude" way is a bit pathetic.

My stirring the pot comment was also made in response to the surprising responses to my comment. If i had made the same comment about a lesser label or one not as beloved no one would of blinked. So everyone getting their tits twisted about it to the point that basswhore's look attractive in comparison is a bit silly.

Also +1

Some polite constructive criticism was all it needed. The way your post came across is the problem here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samurai... keep doing your thing man.

808 you want to get banned? Show some respect and choose your words a bit better.
I don't like editing posts because of a bit of trapped sand.

Also. Really? It's Samurai Music. You don't need audio. You need funds and a shipping address. /

Yes, I agree the rude language is uncessary but I do get 808's point. What is even more bugging me is that at the end of the day, these 2 singles will be released digitally. If this was a Horo plate, I would fully agree with this method of product promotion since it keeps the exclusivity of the music. But in the case of Red Seal and SMG (the normal one) it does not make sense.

I do get Presha's point of focusing on a niche rather than the whole market, but for D&B it is a bit irrelevent since essentially it is all the same genre. You want to be special to a selective no. of people who respect your curation? Send them a private link of the new stuff a week or two weeks before, before it goes public. And when it goes public, add the audio.

Before I get banned/ negged for life, God some of you are some sickofans and it doesn't make you look good.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_italy_283 using Tapatalk

ordered. it's djrum and ruffhouse, im sure ive made the right choice

- - - Updated - - -

also don't leave, Samurai, death to that annoying 808 chap

Remember all the way back before internetz when we didn't have these kind of privileges and people bought CD albums on the strength of the recording artist (without having the option to even preview audio, unless it was one of the headphone albums on them booths in your local hmv).

I've just pre ordered Zak Abel's EP on the strength of the title track.

I still don't know if starkiller is coming on that 12 either :(

Let's all take a deep breath, shall we?

This is a public forum. On the internet. Right?
Is it okay to call somebody out for any reason? Probably not. Does this happen though? Yes. Especially on the internet. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying that it's fine to call somebody a ??? (which didn't happen though if my comprehensive skills didn't go through the window lately), then again it sometimes happen. Back then when the social networking didn't practically exist it wasn't so easy to come and say it in person, not many people have the guts to do something like that anyway. But since the relative anonymity of the internet communication emerged, there have always been a bunch (nowadays it's a majority) of people who were willing to attack other people there even though they wouldn't have done it in person. And that's sadly something you have to be prepared to face when you use it. You wouldn't leave facebook just because someone called you a ???, would you? And you also wouldn't leave the club if someone called you a ??? either (even though you might punch him/her in the face there). So what, someone hasn't been nice to you and treated you the way you don't like/approve of. You can always click the "ignore user" or "block" button somewhere just like in real life you wouldn't speak to that person anymore.

In conclusion we have a person who don't like the way you sell your music and voiced his opinion in a harsh way, well, I don't see it as a reason for abandoning this forum for good. There are still a lot of people who enjoy the possibility of connecting with you through here and who approve of your marketing strategies/the way you run the label, who like the music you put out and who buy it. I see that as enough of a reason to stay there for them. Plus from my own point of view it's not good for anyone to surround themselves only with people who would never disagree with you [MENTION=81451]Samurai Music[/MENTION] .

P.S. I'm not a fan of those "pre-order without any preview" either, I guess it comes down to the industry standard these days when you get to hear sometimes even a full-lenght previews before the pre-orders go live, but that's just me and I wouldn't call it a ??? move either :D

Last post to mainly clear up the scenario with the audio so it's clear, especially to Menosance.

We haven't said there will be no audio before the titles are released. There is still over 6 weeks to release. People expressed the desire to pre order the singles before we were ready to give audio previews, so we offered them the opportunity. The reason we don't like giving audio previews this early have been expressed several times across the internet, and I'm not going to waste everyones time going through it again. There is a whole promotion campaign that hinges on the release of the audio. We could have waited until we were ready to put the audio up but there seemed to be a swell of people wanting to pre order new products from us.

Guess what happened? Through a combination of the artists great track record and our labels curation history, it has been the most successful Pre Order we have had on our store since 'Presence'. The 100 edition will be all gone shortly, and we know these will go to people who are dedicated fans of either the artists, or the label or both. If you think you might not be into something Djrum or Ruffhouse put out on Samurai, then you probably don't need the edition of 100 that will no doubt be going for large prices on Discogs shortly after. We answered our markets demand and they have told us very clearly with their money that is what they wanted.

Either way, I know I personally buy some records blindly and have never had any trouble getting rid of the few I haven't liked. I bought the latest Actress box set with no audio. We are not the first label to do this. Maybe some of you only buy DnB but this is standard practice for a lot of major labels in other genres. Also just to point out, we won't be doing this for every record we release, every campaign is different.

If you hear the audio when it is released in a few weeks and like it then, you can buy a 12" and you will actually get the music at the same time as everyone else. If the music is the issue here shouldn't that be the thing that's most important? You get to hear it and own it at the same time as everyone else?

Also the Djrum 12" is not DnB, anyone who has managed to track down the audio of 'Plantain' will realise that.

Lastly: Hey I'm not a prude, I know people use 'crude' language , amazingly i use it myself quite often. But in my world if you use the 'c' word, even indirectly towards someone, you have stepped over a major line. That said, of course I have frequented forums for many years and I saw the worst days of DOA, but the reason I ended up giving that forum a wide berth is exactly this reason.

Part of what drew me to DnB in the start was a community vibe, and with the physical aspect of swapping music gone I still enjoy chatting with people I don't know about what's happening, and I know if I'd had the chance to talk more on a forum with the labels and artists I respected, the last thing I would have done is roll out the 'c' word to criticise something they had done in their marketing. But yes it's a forum, everyone is within their rights to be as cheeky as they like, but it doesn't mean I should be ok with it.

People need to draw the line somewhere, and that's the line for me. That 808 feels he has to stand by what he says and still shows no signs of apologising shows me the indignant childish defence is here. When you start a sentence with 'I'm going to put this to bed", it speaks volumes about your perception of yourself in this conversation.

Ironic to also note supportive people have been labelled as 'sickofans', more evidence of the obvious imbalance here..

But thanks to everyone who has been supportive, Samurai isn't going anywhere. I'll have a think about the mugs. I've just always thought they were a bit of a cliche tbh, but let's see :)

Thank you clearing it up Presha. For me, vinyl is a new hobby, for the one's around me think it is a waste of money and time but I disagree. So obviously our perspectives are different towards vinyl shopping.

Also, the fact that you said that this technique will not be followed for every release satisfies me a lot.

To be clear, I was only critizing the way this looked, definitely not agreeing of calling you a cunt. You are far from it :)

The main reasoning why I used the word sickofans is that if someone wants to leave the forum, let it be. I am not going to go out of my way to say 'please don't leave' etc etc. Don't take me wrong, I take pleasure in seeing a record label owner posting in threads, and I encourage more labels to do so.

To conclude, I am looking forward for the Djrum release. I just wanted the audio to confirm if the 'collection of sounds' I heard (and liked) on the Synkro's mix is Plantain (since no timed TL was given). That is all. I don't mind being proven wrong in D&B.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_italy_283 using Tapatalk

Some positivity to revive this thread:

532960_10153159443659341_1261202875281572425_n.png

Taking requests on this link: https://www.facebook.com/samurai.mu...99446244340/10153159443659341/?type=1&theater

I've gone for Fis - Duckdive EP

Good idea to get some represses going, a big fuck you to the mushi and the other discogs bells.

I have a complete collection of Horos, so don't need any :)

I'd like to say thanks to Geoff and the SMG for an amazing LP that they put out for Clarity! Top drawer last year :) and long may you continue this year and beyond

Also the Djrum 12" is not DnB, anyone who has managed to track down the audio of 'Plantain' will realise that.

'What I Was Doing When I Was Doing What I Was Doing' sounds like dnb to me

http://instagram.com/p/w4c4EjSywn/?modal=true

Back
Top Bottom