DJ Sly - Monkey Fist (Guv Remix)

I think you're missing the point, it's that he's constantly making throwaway shit that has no musical credibility whatsoever
if you're looking for musical credibility in jump up dnb you need your head examined. check out some steely dan, herbie hancock, dave grusin etc...

You know... it does what it says on the tin... goes off in a rave but 80% of guvs tunes are recycled sounds. I love jump up but if im honest Dont Push Me was prob his best. I like his snare drums tho, norty.

i like it... it's part of the whole minimal jumpup sound that happened after hazard's platinum shadows ep & pleasure's 2011 stuff, it's not like you'll hear more than 2min of it in a mix

my criteria:
-is it catchy?
-can i remember it or who made it?
-does it have flow & can i nod to it?
-is everything in tune or in harmony?
-nothing should sound out of place
-it should not sound random (like brostep or noob artists)

afterall it's 'dance' music, rhythm should have more importance than melody

so this applies to something as simple as this or as complicated as things like dom-imagination or current value tracks

simple doesnt mean no time was spent, there's a much higher chance of things going wrong or sticking out the simpler you get, so the artist has to make sure it's perfect (here's a minimal house example, microfunk-pecan)

Last edited:
oh because every producer makes tune after tune of great music dont they, no producer ever brings out a bad beat

Monkey fist does sound alot like wu tang but wu tang is a sick track and it does go off in the club

GUV - WATER TECHNIQUE
GUV - GANGSTA
GUV - BLOOD VIP
GUV - DONT PUSH ME
GUV - KILLERS EP

Thats why Guv is popular (plus a few ive missed)

gangsta and blood/vip are the only ones I can remember,

and yeah, all producers have a tune thats instantly forgettable, but guv seems to create a new one every week, and hes not pushing boundaries or trying anything different, just playing it safe and keeping to the ever stagnant monotonous two tone crap. Theres a reason Hazard doesnt play any Guv ;) now tunes like Tyke - Abominable Vibes.. :slayer:

I mainly judge songs on whether it could be mixed with another track- and these sort of tunes sound pretty awful over one another, not for me at all...

Monkey Fist remix, Wu Tang & You're No Killer do all sound pretty similar

I thought Power Moves was a bit filthier, but it still has that recycled screechy sound in it

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway Guv's some big black man, don't mess snm. lol

Mampi is a big black man. If you think Guv is big you must be barely a meter high :teeth:

I´m not bothering talking bout this tune, the chalkboard and nails ting hit the nail, could also say a desperate cricket in a box..moaning.
Search and Destroy is the only Guv tune that found its way on my hd.

Isn't Guv supposed to be the biggest guy in jump up right now? This is painfully boring.

snake style still makes me shit myself like the first time i heard it

another throwaway two-tone jumpup tune from Guv

fack off... tune is wicked mayne!

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

and this thread is why general section is pure DERP

His old stuff is a lot better than the tripe he makes now, I just prefer the lower bass sounds over screechy ones

And I bought this one when it came out too, still don't mind it

snake style still makes me shit myself like the first time i heard it

fack off... tune is wicked mayne!

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

all your boshing 2gs of mandy in one night has severely diminished your brain cells :teeth:

seriously doe, Sly & Jayline are miles better atm than Guv.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

and yes, I said Sly, I love Are you Ready.

not everyone has to agree on everything?

ftr this is probably my favourite guv tune (or should I say track, don't want to offend the 'musical credibility' nerds by calling it a tune)

now that's just fucking dirty

Back
Top Bottom