Disfunction (prev Untitled halftime WIP)

CTJake

Och aye
Hey fellas

I was hoping to get some feedback/suggestions/criticisms/whatever you've got for me on this halftime track I've been working on recently.

The ultimate goal with this is to have some badman rapperman vocals in the intro/build, and possibly over the second half of the first drop through to the end of the track; I have a friend willing and ready to record for me when I need it, but I'm really looking to gain the foresight on how a track should generally be balanced to allow the vocals to sit front and centre. Any advice on anything in this vein would be greatly appreciated, such as what to bear in mind on the first recording so I don't end up sitting in the project wishing I'd captured something else after the fact.

Even if only a suggestion to see how something would sound, any ideas or curiosities would also be extremely helpful :)

tl;dr - Halftime? Ideas? Please feed my mind!

edit: No longer entirely halftime, starting to prefer the second drop to the first, worth revising this one entirely?
- Titled untitled halftime WIP? Erm

Thanks for your time guys!

Last edited:
Damn, you n d-low are both on that dark n grimey tip right now eh.

the drums just aren't hitting hard enough for a track that's this filthy imo, i'd go digging for a new snare sample personally.. it "tinks" where it should "smack" maybe throw some "real" half open hats in the back of the drop just to get some more sway into the drum beat?
the vocal clip could be louder as well i'd say.

those points aside, there is some serious potential in this one man! Dutty bass sounds! Definitely wanna see this when its all finished, i got a feeling its gonna be a beast!

Damn, you n d-low are both on that dark n grimey tip right now eh.

the drums just aren't hitting hard enough for a track that's this filthy imo, i'd go digging for a new snare sample personally.. it "tinks" where it should "smack" maybe throw some "real" half open hats in the back of the drop just to get some more sway into the drum beat?
the vocal clip could be louder as well i'd say.

those points aside, there is some serious potential in this one man! Dutty bass sounds! Definitely wanna see this when its all finished, i got a feeling its gonna be a beast!

Thanks heaps for this Xiris, I appreciate the pointers big time! I'm going to go in hard on the drums for sure

Finally updated the original post with the current state of the track, I had a bit of an issue with space in the high frequencies, hopefully ironed them out mostly; also completely mixed up the second drop, considering maybe even using that as a backbone to start a new project from this one, not too sure if I'm feeling the first drop anymore... I've done a fair bit of work on the drums, rolled out a fair amount of EQ on the breaks, hopefully got the kick to dominate the cone, beefed up the snare a little from the previous light clicky snare, reckon it's hitting heavy enough yet?

Last edited:
very beefy indeed man! sounds sick!
snare sounds pretty good, although i somewhat wish there would be another snare stacked on top of it that comes in halfway through the second part or smth, just something to end the song with a bang.
also think you should keep the halftime part, contrast is good :))

very beefy indeed man! sounds sick!
snare sounds pretty good, although i somewhat wish there would be another snare stacked on top of it that comes in halfway through the second part or smth, just something to end the song with a bang.
also think you should keep the halftime part, contrast is good :))

Big thanks for this man! Now that you mention it that would sound sweet, I'll have a play around with my snare stack through the drops and see what I can come up with :)

This is sick :D
I’d leave the halftimw part tho. 2nd drop could be halftime or just dnb that doesnt matter i think :)

Cheers Leniz!

fuckkk yes buddy! Keep the halftime for sure, its sick!

Loving the edit on the snare, though i do agree with experimenting with layering another snare sound in like AT said, see if it yields interesting results

Aaand also send me a copy of this when its done? :D cuz i love it!

great work dude

fuckkk yes buddy! Keep the halftime for sure, its sick!

Loving the edit on the snare, though i do agree with experimenting with layering another snare sound in like AT said, see if it yields interesting results

Aaand also send me a copy of this when its done? :D cuz i love it!

great work dude

Damn thanks for the kind words man, I appreciate you coming back for an update on this one big time! And absolutely I can and will dude :)

I would move the hats you've got at around 3:32 to the start so they piece together the separate stabs in the intro. The mixing is great btw :2thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom