Can You Help Me Recreate This Reverbed Bell Thing?

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
I would like to know how to recreate this bell sound as used in this track from the first Metroid Prime game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbUv1hz6mE

The sound is throughout the track but the earliest it can be heard best is around 0:22 - 0:26

If you could just describe the process universally, not for a specific program, just synths in general, that would be great. Any help is gratefully accepted.

The Envelope of the patch is going to have a short attack because the note ons are sharp. Long Release... sounds like it's being ran through Reverb as well.

It sounds like a typical Subtractive Lead that has the low end and some of the mid range filtered out... a HPF or BPF would work for the range you're looking for.

As far as what the Sustain and Decay of the Envelope is at, along with how the filter is set, and how the Reverb is setup... those are things you're going to have to mess around with.

I could load up Albino 2 (any Subtractive synth should suffice) and find plenty that are close to this sound... and with a little tweaking wouldn't be hard to emulate.

g/l

The Envelope of the patch is going to have a short attack because the note ons are sharp. Long Release... sounds like it's being ran through Reverb as well.

It sounds like a typical Subtractive Lead that has the low end and some of the mid range filtered out... a HPF or BPF would work for the range you're looking for.

As far as what the Sustain and Decay of the Envelope is at, along with how the filter is set, and how the Reverb is setup... those are things you're going to have to mess around with.

I could load up Albino 2 (any Subtractive synth should suffice) and find plenty that are close to this sound... and with a little tweaking wouldn't be hard to emulate.

g/l

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely give this a try once I get done with my english paper!

What type of waveforms should I be using for this? Squares?

Ok, just tried this and I got something that is pretty close that sounds a lot like it, but not exactly the same. The whole process just gave me loads of sounds though, including one that sounds like the bell sound in Suspect's track "Modulation", so I'm happy nonetheless.

My final version also gives me some sweet sounds when I use the pitch bend on the tail end of it. Props!

FM synthesis could come close too.

thats what i presumed before i heard the clip, but to me it sounds like a self resonating filter with keytracking. what ya think ?
T:M, sorry for the jargon if you dont get this, or if you do, sorry for the patronsing :D.
some filters can produce a sound by themself if you crank the resonance. key tracking on a filter means that instead of changing the cuttoff at arbitrary frequencies, it will lock it to specific notes range. sonalksis TBK does that, but it cant self resonate. so check kvr for a filter that does both, and let us know too!
(y)

Last edited:
thats what i presumed before i heard the clip, but to me it sounds like a self resonating filter with keytracking. what ya think ?
T:M, sorry for the jargon if you dont get this, or if you do, sorry for the patronsing :D.
some filters can produce a sound by themself if you crank the resonance. key tracking on a filter means that instead of changing the cuttoff at arbitrary frequencies, it will lock it to specific notes range. sonalksis TBK does that, but it cant self resonate. so check kvr for a filter that does both, and let us know too!
(y)

Really? That's amazing! We never went over anything like that in my Music Technology class last semester. I'll definitely scurry over to kvr and see if I can find anything that works like this!

Now that you brought this up I have a new question, regarding this sound. Due to my extremely low-budget set up at the moment so I made the sound using Alphakanal's Automat AU. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it but it's got 3 oscillators along with a separate filter for each one of them. The sound I currently have looks like this:

icesound.gif

My question is: Should I be using a high-pass and band-pass on each the oscillators separately (as I am doing) or should I just turn them off and just use the master filter? Better yet, should I avoid the built-in filter and reverb altogether and use a separate plug-in instead?

This is my first attempt at really making a sound I've heard, and like I've said my sound is really similar but not quite the same. My version is kind of bright and the bell sound is more pronounced and not quite as off in the distance sounding as the one in the clip.

Last edited:
T:M, you're really just gonna have to play around with it as I'm sure most guys will tell you, this hobby is a labor of love.

Honestly, I cringe when I see all of these, "how do I make this sound" threads... because with my OCD, I'd go crazy if I was compulsive about copying sounds down to the filter setting/etc.

It takes me long enough to make music as it is without worrying about how to emulate a sound to the t.

Respect for the guys who can weather this kind of (imo) frustration and come up with quality results.

g/l w/it

Back
Top Bottom