1210s - still deserve to be industry standard?

1210s - still deserve to be the industry standard?

• Yeah! - They're so durable, have enough features & everyone knows how to use 'em!

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Nah man! - these decks are OLD and just don't compare to newer top-end decks!

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
klusta said:
hmmmmm, s'all about the pdx torque, makes all the difference!

develop yourself a different style of mixing - mix on some vestax ;)

Yer, hopefully once I have the dosh I'll supplement the dirt cheap 1210s that I'm gonna buy with some nice Vestaxes so I can have a 4 deck setup AND some vestaxes as well... Ah, if only money weren't a (forced) option. :/

klusta said:
develop yourself a different style of mixing - mix on some vestax ;)
'

That's the problem with learning on Vestaxes - they play different to 1210s, so if you learn on them - you're going to be fucked in a club with knackered 1210s. And all (almost) the clubs have knackered 1210s.

You can jerk off all you want on Mk5s but the fact is, most of the time you'll be dealing with 1210s that are old, dirty, have sticky faders and look like somebody came on the slipmat. Well, most of the time :)

keep the posts comin for this thread guys :2thumbs: im printing it all out for my homework for college. v.useful indeed (y)

lets get the ball rolling again...

someone tell me what the hell this reject ufo is supposed to be?

QFO

i mean im sure its a nice deck to use (id hope so for the price anyway :|) but when are vestax gonna learn people just want a decent durable deck, at a decent affordable price. who is actually gonna pay £1700/pair for these things when theyre just pdx with a stupid amount of extra features.i mean 'Incorporated 2 channel mixer'?! eeerrrr, wouldn't a mixer do that job just as well.... in fact, better!

Last edited:
The QFO is very expensive but its very different to the PDX - specs, construction, etc. I don't think the price is justified but Vestax is still selling its excellent PDX 2000's at way below Technics prices.

The MK5G on the other hand is a 1210 with double pitch.

eheheh

last night at one of our gigs

Dusk til Dawn 'where the 1210's man?'
Hippo 'not here, klusta's bought his vestax!'
Dusk 'til Dawn 'fuck man, i never mixed on em b4, shit'
Hippo 'Don't worry, you'll be fine, they're just like 1210's'
Dusk 'til Dawn......looks worried......

10 mins into Dusk 'til Dawns set......

Klusta 'how ya getting on with them vestax bro?'
Dusk 'til Dawn 'they're fucking wicked, once they're locked they're LOCKED, bad for scratching, i want a set.

I think the same went for Danny Wheeler...

:yawn: @ 1210's

I've known house djs go to pieces on Vestaxes. They're used to spinning 1210s up then fiddling with the platters... and the Vestax motor just laughs at them.

And I've shit myself at clubs using 1210s after too much time on the V2000s.

Vestaxes are good with dnb - you drop the beat exactly where you want - virtually no startup, you get the speeds matched, set the channel to max and then press start on the beat , like with a cd player.

I've never actually got round to being able to afford or accomodate decks, but i've asked people's opinions on what to get, many times. Every response has been "Technics. If you don't get Technics, you'll want them later on, so save yourself some money. Plus if you ever want to sell them they'll hold their value". Now I hear all this about Vestax etc, it's just fucking confusing. Aside from being ridiculously expensive (really, how expensive is it to mass produce something that's been made for 20 years?) it's also annoying that everyone has such differing opinions. Kinda puts me off wanting to start DJing. Then there's all the debates on what needles/cartridges, speakers/subs, etc/etc, are better..

Know what you mean.

Just in the process of buing some decks. A lot of money means you need to do the research. After talking to a lot of DJs, I agree, they all recommend not buying crap decks, but rather save for technics.

The reason: You wont actually know if your terd or if its your equipment, and you'll not enjoy it.

However....after commiting to buying top decks, I'm actually going for Numark TTX1s. These are actually replacing Technics in the superclubs, and actually I believe are better and are actually cheaper because Numark is not as big a designer as Technics.

Numark had a bad rep for a while but with there new models,....wow, really setting the standard, and you only need to look at their mixers to see the innovation coming out of Numark.

Seriously...Numark is the future brand if Technics don't sort out their turntables. Although Technics do have a very impressive CD deck range.

But go for TTX1s.

Sneaky G said:
Although Technics do have a very impressive CD deck range.

? You sure you don't mean Pioneer?

Technics' CD deck (SLDZ1000) is crap compared to the competition (i.e. Numark CDX, Pioneer CDJ1000) and well overpriced. If you want a CD deck - Technics is not the way to go unless you want to show off your shiny 'Technics' deck.

your right.....pioneer are superior with DJs.

But the SL-DZ1200 CD turntable seems like a complete replica of the great SL range, the only difference being CDs instead of vinyl. Seems awesome, but just depends if your an SL fan or not.

Seems most DJs who are taken seriously are using pioneer though, but who knows maybe the technics will catch on, but generally it looks like Technics are having to make way, which is only good for us = cheaper because not paying as much for a brand.

Personally all this format change is scaring me. Soon it'll all be computer based I think. I just hope not to soon, because I'm spending a fortune on upgrading to TTX1s, then there's all the mp3 mixing........whatever, it hurts my head to think about all the options.

Anyone got any good software or hardware recommendations, i'm trying to start getting into production.

totally agree. i hope the whole media change thing don't happen any time soon. im sure it wont for a good while yet. i dont think mp3 mixing will ever catch on. not for live events anyway. the quality is just too poor. lets hope vinyl is here to stay :2thumbs:

SPo0n said:
Then there's all the debates on what needles/cartridges, speakers/subs, etc/etc, are better..

... Gotta be Ortofon carts every time. Worth investing in some quality. In fact, I'd buy three carts - two for mixing, and one for audiophile home listening (when I want the fidelity to be at its max without the needle becoming worn down by constant usage).

In terms of MP3 DJing, there's some excellent CDMP3 decks out there, including ones by Vestax, Pioneer, Numark... There's also various different Final Scratch-type systems out there now, aside from Final Scratch, which both work just about the same and for varying price brackets. Knowledge reviewed some of these systems in a past issue, I could dig it out and type it up if you wanted. Sure it's on the net as well, check the K site.

sparkyc10 said:
totally agree. i hope the whole media change thing don't happen any time soon. im sure it wont for a good while yet. i dont think mp3 mixing will ever catch on. not for live events anyway. the quality is just too poor. lets hope vinyl is here to stay :2thumbs:

128 kbps mp3 is awful - especially for dnb as the subsonics get cut out. However use very high bitrate or lossless files and you'll have the same sound quality as vinyl or at least cd.

Still I don't see the point in having a cd player that plays mp3s - how can you keep track of a hundred songs on that cd? I'd much rather have a record box or at least a cd box...

Having said that Final Scratch or even Traktor is a lot of fun to use as long as its you thats playing, not the computer. I saw A Guy Called Gerald playing jungle from Traktor and realized that. He's confident in the music he plays and doesn't need shiny 1210mk5s, a ton of vinyl and a Pioner 600 to prove that he's a dj.

Vinyl does have one very big advantage - scratching. :)

Dustek said:
Vinyl does have one very big advantage - scratching. :)
and it smells good lol.
i like vinyl, it gives u a good feeling that CDs & MPs just dont have, cos its real & feels like you've actually bought something, not just a digital file.

DJ Lordward said:
and it smells good lol.
i like vinyl, it gives u a good feeling that CDs & MPs just dont have, cos its real & feels like you've actually bought something, not just a digital file.

Well, I dunno bout anybody else, but I record every vinyl I get to my PC as .wav file, and then save as .flac lossless - it's an insurance policy just in case any of my vinyls ever get nicked / damaged / worn out, it's comforting to know you always have a backup (even if it's just in digital format, it's good enough quality to always get it repressed if the need arose)...

Plus it means I can listen to my vinyl without having to dig em out and go stick em on the deck. :D AAAAND it then means I can arse about and do digital mixing on my PC with PCDJ Red / similar software - good beatmatching practice! :D

Back
Top Bottom