Zebra 2...Where Have You Been All My Life?

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
Though my New Year's Resolution was to not purchase anymore synths, I made the "mistake" of playing around with Zebralette and then the demo for Zebra 2. After having only played around on the synth for a couple nights, I can perhaps best describe it by saying: Holy fuck. There's not many times where I can say I have "fun" when programming/experimenting with a synth...but I actually have fun dicking around with Zebra 2 and it's brilliantly clean interface. U-he and his team may possibly be the best in the virtual synth game at the moment.

After I've had a serious go at Zebra 2 I'll follow up with a review. In the meantime, do yourself a favor and download the demo and/or the free Zebralette.

Shout to marcelkennard for praising the synth awhile back, I can see now why you spoke so highly of it.

If you have any tips or thoughts on Zebra 2, post away!

Cheers.

YES Lost! You have such a good memory.
It is a wicked synth though I still have a long way to go to master it.
One thing I love about it are the comb filters- chuck one on any oscillator and play with the settings to get some lovely dissonant tones!

Keep us posted with any cool sounds you design!

Zebra2's my only non-free synth but I'm not all that good at using it. Any tips or how to make cool sounds or patches would be great!

I like the comb filter then subtle tone automations on a bass.

Also note you can use Zebrify and use most of the modules of Zebra2 as an effect!

check out the dark knight presets by hans zimmer and howard scarr
jamming with these makes me feel like im writing scores for film lol (i know shit about music theory)

Last edited by a moderator:
YES Lost! You have such a good memory.
It is a wicked synth though I still have a long way to go to master it.
One thing I love about it are the comb filters- chuck one on any oscillator and play with the settings to get some lovely dissonant tones!

Keep us posted with any cool sounds you design!

I should be the one thanking you! :) It really is a wicked synth that seems to be along the lines of "Easy to learn, hard to master," and I'm up for the challenge!

And those filters...sweet baby Jebus there's a ton and they all sound brilliant. The comb filters are particularly inspiring. I'm looking forward to drawing my own waves amongst other things.

Zebra2's my only non-free synth but I'm not all that good at using it. Any tips or how to make cool sounds or patches would be great!

I like the comb filter then subtle tone automations on a bass.

Also note you can use Zebrify and use most of the modules of Zebra2 as an effect!

YES! The comb filter is outstanding in that it has such a nice range from subtle to twisted mayhem.

Thanks for the tip about Zebrify! I saw while I was dicking around but have yet to drop it on a channel strip...now I'm a bit anxious to try it out.

check out the dark knight presets by hans zimmer and howard scarr
jamming with these makes me feel like im writing scores for film lol (i know shit about music theory)

This will definitely be my next mini-investment. Being able to see some of the Zimmer/Scarr patches at work are worth the price of admission...and I'm a huge mark for the batman trilogy, lol. I've actually read some interviews with Scarr...bit of a mad genius!

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not agree more, Zebra 2 is really a godsend when it comes to synths, I've never experienced anything quite like it and I cannot wait to explore the endless sound design possibilities (especially the filters, i REALLY love the filters.)

Yes Zebra is amazing. Been looking for a cool neuro stab to use for an intro for ages- just opened up zebra and made exactly what I wanted in no time at all! I'm going to try and use zebra for all bass synthesis in my new track now- will post up when finished!

Yes Zebra is amazing. Been looking for a cool neuro stab to use for an intro for ages- just opened up zebra and made exactly what I wanted in no time at all! I'm going to try and use zebra for all bass synthesis in my new track now- will post up when finished!

basiclly this, literally just loaded it and half an hour have this really dark dystopian synth loop running through, great fun using the modulation on my keyboard too. i've only got the demo and it's pretty hefty... to think what the full copy is like!

i need more money

deffinately gonna get the demo. looking forward to hearing you new track too! been looking for a new synth

One thing I'm really loving is the ability to draw your own partials and then interpolate between a pair...basically creating your own custom wavetable/scanning by simply drawing in some partials. It's like manual additive synthesis...brilliant.

So after reading this, you guys talked me round and I have just purchased Zebra2!

And I gotta be honest.......I havnt a clue what I'm doing with it lol

Yeah I was just watching them, but my zebra 2 is completely different to whats in this tut?

Different how? You can skin Zebra2 (and any U-He plugin I think?). I don't have the latest patch I think. I should fix that, but I might just get Dark Zebra instead.

BKallmer has a cool bass tutorial: part 1part 2

I think in my quest to make neuro basses I went to quickly towards resampling rather than making a cool tone in the first place. You can do crazy things with wavetable modulations I think (one of Zircon's tutorials touches on that).

Zebra is the king of the fucking jungle ..of virtual synths I guess.

Except if you find zebras in the savannah more than from the jungle, Im not sure

Back
Top Bottom