ZEAL DRUM TUTORIAL FOR YOU GUYS!

er haven't got any of my latest tunes uploaded but always feel free to check my myspace out, The Sorrow and Inside the Demon's Womb are probably the 2 tunes where i started to apply these principles properly :)

i do take forever to make tunes due to bloody work!

edit: just realised ur on about basses and not drums woops! i still used the technique in demon's womb tho :D actually no worries i'll post a clip up tonight that explains it better

Last edited:
Yeah good tutorial mate...not sure about the "not using more than two snare" as sometimes i find it can take up to 4 snares to get a proper smashing effect...depends, I spend a lot of time on my drums and yeah, a minimum is probably better (i never use more than two kicks) but snares I find a different story. to be honest I dont actually layer up loadsa SNARES i just have a few snares, and loadsa wacky "kinda-snares" to go on top to give it more effect (white noise, tablas, etc.)

Will be doing some massive tutorials soon.

peas!>1>!>!>1

makes it a lot harder to get clean, and probably ends up sounding muddier than if there were less.

its all about picking the right sounds and snares to get it right imo

most people would tell you not to really go over 2 snares.

less is more and all that crap.

the more u layer things the harder it is to get them perfect

it also goes for the breaks as they have snares in too unless u take them out, using 3-4 snare samples proably end up having to eq 6-7 in right lol

makes it a lot harder to get clean, and probably ends up sounding muddier than if there were less.

its all about picking the right sounds and snares to get it right imo

youre contradicting yourself.

four of the right snares > two wrong snares

the amount of layers is irrelevant long as you chose the right samples

youre contradicting yourself.

four of the right snares > two wrong snares

the amount of layers is irrelevant long as you chose the right samples

yeah to an extent, but either way, the thread is to try and help those that need it.

ill carry on doing what im doing, releasing on the labels im releasing on and ill be happy

advice doesnt have to be taken by any means

yeah to an extent, but either way, the thread is to try and help those that need it.

ill carry on doing what im doing, releasing on the labels im releasing on and ill be happy

advice doesnt have to be taken by any means

i think Zeals' tunes speak for themselves - nuff said :not_worth

edit - listen to his beats, PRO no question :)

Last edited:
whoa talk about a strawman, your labels??

lol i aint gonna argue, i thought this thread would help people a bit u know nothing bad in that.

Ill get someone toremove the thread if its causing such a problem

I wasnt trying to dramatise anything, just not into sitting on the net arguing over some advice that i gave.

i wasnt really contradicting myself in the first place, yes, it is like i said about obviously having the right sounds, that could of course mean 1000 snares if need be.

But i also still stand by the fact i believe u dont really need moe than two snares if u get the right two, thats what im saying if you get what i mean.

just a bit of help with some techniques that we have been successful in using

thanks for this thread.

av started using a spectrum analyser today and jus bin workin with drum patterns all day, its been a big help thanks again to zeal and everyone with input in the thread.

yeah man i'm a Reason user too :D my 2 cents - with Amens in the Rex player yeah play about to get different variations in the sequencer, if ur donig jump up obviously the amen will be the main focus of the beat, but i also find the amen great for adding just a subtle layer to a bigger DnB break that im making, so try putting some high pass on it, cut the low end and play around with the ASDR on the rex loop player, cut the sustain make it nice n choppy, u probably wont recognise it as an amen anymore but it works great for me just to get more movement in my beats ;)

cool. i sometimes chuck a amen in the rex player and then tweek till i like it, then export as an 8 bar audio loop at the given bpm.
then i import back into a track on the redrum machine, make it loop round comfortable. then what you can do is place them as hits along the matrix at the desired velocity and shorten them up. you can get really interesting reapeated kind of fills going on

Back
Top Bottom