Z plane filter - recreating the effect?

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
Hi Guys,

Recently spotted this..

http://www.rubadub.co.uk/rossum-ele...tereo-morphing-z-plane-filter-eurorack-module

similar to the emu sampler filter as I understand it anyway...

Now I really want to buy this and start running my already modulating basslines through it but... it's a little bit pricey right now...

So in the meantime, has anyone ever tried recreating similar effects linking multiple filters and fx to one or two parameters?

Thanks

the z planes are simply put a way to morph between two different filter states.

lets say state 1 is a very low lowpass with high resonance and state 2 is a mid range peak, plus the morph filter itself has a resonance setting. if you think about it, thats not too difficult to manage, no?

turns out it is. ive got this one filter that morphs between hp and lp and its boring as hell. its a great lp filter, but that morph thing is boring as shit.

basically, peaks is what its about, get an LFO on a mid peak combine that with a hp with little resonance and youre so much closer in terms of the morph sound.

im just speaking as an amateur who has an e-mu sampler, i really dont know much about it technically, but in terms of software emulation (freeware) its really much easier than it seems, i can make FLP8 do the same thing with just stock plugs, because i know the sound of the specific filter state morph i want, of course i cant make flp do what the e-mu does, noone can, but there are advantages to exploring the machine to get to know the exact sound you like. i think you have to buy the machine to get there, thats... or you can listen to wormhole and try to make the same sound by just listening to wormhole, maybe that works, i dont know

the z planes are simply put a way to morph between two different filter states.

lets say state 1 is a very low lowpass with high resonance and state 2 is a mid range peak, plus the morph filter itself has a resonance setting. if you think about it, thats not too difficult to manage, no?

turns out it is. ive got this one filter that morphs between hp and lp and its boring as hell. its a great lp filter, but that morph thing is boring as shit.

basically, peaks is what its about, get an LFO on a mid peak combine that with a hp with little resonance and youre so much closer in terms of the morph sound.

im just speaking as an amateur who has an e-mu sampler, i really dont know much about it technically, but in terms of software emulation (freeware) its really much easier than it seems, i can make FLP8 do the same thing with just stock plugs, because i know the sound of the specific filter state morph i want, of course i cant make flp do what the e-mu does, noone can, but there are advantages to exploring the machine to get to know the exact sound you like. i think you have to buy the machine to get there, thats... or you can listen to wormhole and try to make the same sound by just listening to wormhole, maybe that works, i dont know

Hmm yeah i see what you mean about the filter morph... I don't think I have a filter that morphs between different types it would probably be done manually through eq and filter modulation, which I can already see is going to be bit of a nightmare in keeping track of the modulation..

I'm going to try and recreate something similar will post up here when I have something presentable.

there's plenty of videos but it should be easy enough to recreate the EQ shapes shown with the different types of modulation sets.

Synthmaster has one of these with inbuilt distortion. Never got the inbuilt distortion to sound that good myself but I've never tried that hard tbh.

It also has another filter which iirc consists of two z-plane 3d filters running in either series/ parallel with another parameter to split between them being series/parallel- technically it's a 7 dimensional filter- and you can have two of them acting in series or parallel.

It's a bit mad but also a bit useless. Cool idea though

Back
Top Bottom