Youtube mix taken down, and now the patronising copyright school they make you take!

manirios

So I'd uploaded a really old intelligent drum and bass mix to YT about a year ago, it features lots of tracks from Good Looking records. It was flagged up as infringing for certain tracks in it. I disputed this and often they drop the claims. However, I had to do one recently and they upheld it so now the video has been removed. However when logging into my YT account, it was then forcing me to watch a patronising copyright cartoon video and then made me answer multiple choice questions on it!!

Anyway, just wanted to rant, it sucks that they're disputing it, as I was never planning to make money from it. It would only have brought the music to a wider audience. And people LOVE that mix. Ho hum!

Re: Youtube mix taken down, and now the patronising copyright school they make you ta

The copyright crap on youtube is such a ballache. Good Looking are one of the worst I think, as are Chestplate.
My whole channel (with 1000+ subscribers i might add!) got taken down a few years ago purely for a few dubs that were cut from mixes? The thing that annoys me is the fact they could have just contacted me and I would have gladly taken them off, but no.
Anywhooooo back on topic yeah the youtube copyright stuff is shit, as is soundclouds now.

Re: Youtube mix taken down, and now the patronising copyright school they make you ta

The copyright crap on youtube is such a ballache. Good Looking are one of the worst I think, as are Chestplate.
My whole channel (with 1000+ subscribers i might add!) got taken down a few years ago purely for a few dubs that were cut from mixes? The thing that annoys me is the fact they could have just contacted me and I would have gladly taken them off, but no.

thorny issue. often uploaders believe they're doing a good thing but it's quite easy to screw up a label's promotion schedule by doing it.
you're right, they could have contacted you but that's contingent on them constantly searching youtube and contacting people and waiting for replies etc etc.. By the same token you could have just contacted them before putting it up and avoided the whole issue. Given that a label owns the content and have more to lose in the situation i'd say the onus should be on the uploader to get permission, not the label to run around after them issuing takedowns.

Any good site suggestions please for mixes where you can download them? Getting annoyed with sound cloud & youtube now!

Ya dun kno

I never usually bother disputing the claims and they haven't taken anything down as of yet.But I Disputed one the other week because some mining company was claiming that the fairly well known jungle track was owned by DJ *insert some unknown American 90's jungle DJ* and it was from his album 'DJ blah blah blah Continuous Mix 1996' ..fuck off innit :finger2:

LCUHswX.gif

thorny issue. often uploaders believe they're doing a good thing but it's quite easy to screw up a label's promotion schedule by doing it.
you're right, they could have contacted you but that's contingent on them constantly searching youtube and contacting people and waiting for replies etc etc.. By the same token you could have just contacted them before putting it up and avoided the whole issue. Given that a label owns the content and have more to lose in the situation i'd say the onus should be on the uploader to get permission, not the label to run around after them issuing takedowns.

Dead on the money here imo. Big ups!

youtube clips of dubs taken off new mixes should be fair game imo. I don't see how that could mess up any kind of promotion schedule. Wouldn't it be more likely to enhance it?. For me, hearing a brand new clip someone's posted on YT was how I first heard about a zillion tunes* and anticipation for the release started right there.

*maybe not a zillion. more like... a billion

youtube clips of dubs taken off new mixes should be fair game imo. I don't see how that could mess up any kind of promotion schedule. Wouldn't it be more likely to enhance it?. For me, hearing a brand new clip someone's posted on YT was how I first heard about a zillion tunes* and anticipation for the release started right there.
Pretty much this.
Not everyone has the time to listen to a brand new radio show or promo mix and hear the latest tunes. I don't see how cutting the forthcoming tracks out of said mixes would effect a promotion schedule. I can understand the worry of uploading unreleased tunes in the full for fear of being ripped, but what's the harm in uploading 2 minute clips of stuff that's being mixed in and out of. If anything it's going to generate more hype for a tune with some of these channels having 5000+ subscribers

*maybe not a zillion. more like... a billion

I see what you are saying BUT label's sometimes like to get exclusive youtube clips up on UKF, Liquicity etc. These things are usually scheduled well in advance too.

Pretty much this.
Not everyone has the time to listen to a brand new radio show or promo mix and hear the latest tunes. I don't see how cutting the forthcoming tracks out of said mixes would effect a promotion schedule. I can understand the worry of uploading unreleased tunes in the full for fear of being ripped, but what's the harm in uploading 2 minute clips of stuff that's being mixed in and out of. If anything it's going to generate more hype for a tune with some of these channels having 5000+ subscribers

I think, with the greatest respect, (similar to what BMT was alluding to) is that it's not down to individuals to decide what generates more hype. Thats what the label try and do. I'm sure if they wanted clips around online they wouldn't be having them taken down. Just because someone with a channel thinks its a good thing doesn't make it a good thing for everyone.

if i have easy access to listen to a tune before it's released, i dont get bored of it, but i'm used to it if that makes sense

Youtube is ballache

Soundcloud is BOSS

notice in the posts above the phrase "i don't see" crops up a couple of times.
That's exactly my point.. uploaders make a lot of assumptions about what they're doing because they 'don't see'.
again, it would take an uploader the same length of time or probably less to contact a label than it would for a label to contact the uploader - and the label owns the material, not the uploader.. so the uploader should contact the label. I'm not sure why this is a bone of contention.

The uploader argument seems to be:

"I'm going to upload this music even though I don't own any rights to it, even though I have no idea about any release plans or promo schedules, even though I have nothing at stake if it creates any problems but I'm going to be right pissed off if the label asks youtube to take it down because they could have contacted me first."

i'm not sure how anyone can argue that line with a straight face tbh.

notice in the posts above the phrase "i don't see" crops up a couple of times.
That's exactly my point.. uploaders make a lot of assumptions about what they're doing because they 'don't see'.
again, it would take an uploader the same length of time or probably less to contact a label than it would for a label to contact the uploader - and the label owns the material, not the uploader.. so the uploader should contact the label. I'm not sure why this is a bone of contention.

The uploader argument seems to be:

"I'm going to upload this music even though I don't own any rights to it, even though I have no idea about any release plans or promo schedules, even though I have nothing at stake if it creates any problems but I'm going to be right pissed off if the label asks youtube to take it down because they could have contacted me first."

i'm not sure how anyone can argue that line with a straight face tbh.

Well said

I got so much shit for taking our labels stuff off YouTube so basicly im the bad guy cos I dare to use a tool that YouTube provides me with to remove my content

the way some people were going on at me it was like I had just fucked their mum in front of them - One channel owner took to Facebook to get all his followers to start spamming our channel and cause as much shit as possible, and this is someone who was apparently helping our label according to him lol

After shit like that I gave up giving a fuck about these shitty channels

Simple if you don't own the rights then don't upload it - If i find it then im using CVT to remove it and hopefully get your channel taken down in fact it pisses me off so much I ENJOY it when channels get taken down cos of it

End of the day I don't want my labels shit on there at all I see YouTube as Napster V2 - a way for people to get our music for nothing end of story

I HAVE to now put my labels tracks on there (all though we only do small clips) due to this as if we didnt actively police it then it would once again turn into a free for all

Still every week I have to sit there fucking around wasting time looking for my labels music when I got better things to do with my time

BUT OH NO WHATS THAT!

Im supposed to politely waste even more time asking each individual prick who has uploaded my labels music if they possibly wouldn't mind removing it

How about fuck no

I should mention I have no issue with DJ mixes but start putting up single tracks or mix rips then fuck off

also worth mentioning is that rips from radio shows just mean that less people listen to the actual shows live or on playback so the listening figures drop and shows get cancelled so in the long run less music for everyone

And yes as you can tell this subject annoys the shit out of me lol

clips taken down, fair enough. delete entire youtube account, that's not really fair...

but yeah, if the label owns the rights to the music then the label should be able to do what they want regarding uploads of their stuff. of course. my point was a few dubs on youtube may not be as harmful as some labels think?

anyway as pointed out things have mostly shifted to soundcloud now, where this doesn't seem to be so much of an issue (afaik)

clips taken down, fair enough. delete entire youtube account, that's not really fair...

but yeah, if the label owns the rights to the music then the label should be able to do what they want regarding uploads of their stuff. of course. my point was a few dubs on youtube may not be as harmful as some labels think?

anyway as pointed out things have mostly shifted to soundcloud now, where this doesn't seem to be so much of an issue (afaik)

Entire accounts will automaticly get deleted after 3 copyright strikes so if you have been caught twice then not a lot I can do if my claim against you causes your channel to get taken down but like I said thats a bonus for me if it does as one less channel spreading our music around to worry about

Soundcloud are very very hot on uploads even using automatic scanning software so much so I cant even upload my own tracks without their system telling me I cant so I stopped using it as they wanted me to do this and that blah blah so I told them to do one as it makes no difference to me using soundcloud and tbh it just seems to be more of a ego machine than any real use for actually marketing music

I just wish there was a site that still consolidated dubplates.

Back
Top Bottom