Youtube mix taken down, and now the patronising copyright school they make you take!

Re: Youtube mix taken down, and now the patronising copyright school they make you ta

arguing in the internet much like arguing in real life, really leads nowhere because people keep their point of view no matter what

Re: Youtube mix taken down, and now the patronising copyright school they make you ta

I think this has been quite informative

Pretty interesting to hear the point of view from the labels and artists, I didn't really think of it like that to be honest. I would never be bothered to upload anyone else's music, I'm at the end of the chain and just a listener so good to see the perspective at the other end.

You're never going to eradicate this problem if you make good music. If people like your music and you choose to let it be played either on podcast or whatever then surely as an artist/label you have to expect it to be cut and posted on youtube etc. I'm not trying to justify the act, but this is the reality of the situation. It isn't a malicious act, it's act of naivety and fundamentally, an act bought about by the love of the music. You never going to educate everyone of the consequences, and there will always be someone to pick up the baton when you close down said account.

I'm interested to know whether artist/labels are closing accounts down for primarily moral or financial reasons? i.e. are you not wanting people to upload your property because it is theft or are you conscious that uploader is damaging the promotion of the track and ultimately the sales that leads to?

hol dir mal ne mate vom späti, und calm down ;)

i will just chime in to comment on a few things being said.

first, @gymnor: things dont always go as planned, and if they dont the plan wasnt necessary bad. lets make up an example. i want to release a 12" next month, tunes almost ready, deadline and release date set.
and now my trusted mastering engineer has a cold and cant hear a thing. give it to another mastering engineer i have never worked with, or wait a few weeks till my trusted engineers ears are recovered? i dont even have to be in that situation to know my answer.

engage a marketing guy specialized in social media
yeh, rofl. well. its like hes got money to throw at people. hes in the music business. he cant just hire another dude to do his job..

without wanting to insult you, you come across as someone whose believes and opinions are pretty much set in stone, no matter what other dudes (that clearly got more insight than you) say or dont. try to consider others opinions as valid as yours and try not to back something up regarding music through things you learned in some other field. music industry =/= every other industry.

and another point.

Also surly the dj's are also to blame for having the promo's on their latest podcasts pre release.

I would say if a label released a promo clip the same time they gave out the promo to dj's. None of this would even happen.

yeh ofc, im not gonna play the tune i just finished thursday on my set friday night because you could tape it with your fkn mobile and put it on the internet.
its just NOT possible. and im not holding back tunes from my mates just because i cant put a clip online because the mastering hasnt been done, arrangement isnt 100% or any of the other 1000 factors.

the thing you people must first and foremost accept is that the music artists do, ARE THEIR PROPERTY. no matter how often you hear them, no matter how often you buy them on beatport. you wont want to have someone fiddle with your property, do you? or would it be ok for you if i was to make photos of your car and sell them on the internet? because thats exactly what ripping audio of mixes and putting it on youtube is.

and if you dont have a partnership and dont make money, its still losing money for the label. its called cost of opportunity. if some punter hadnt uploaded it, the click would be on the labels site, earning profit.

i have been on the other side for 23 years, and now am in the position to be on the other side for roughly 3 to 4 years. and i have to say my opinion on that stuff rapidly changed. if you take someone elses work and do with it as you please, dont expect the dude to be kind to you, its as easy as that.

and generally if you rip something off of a mix (which has been released online with the permission of the respective label) no one will hand you a strike .

on the other hand, soundclouds copyright thing regarding mixes is just plain stupid..

The copyright crap on youtube is such a ballache. Good Looking are one of the worst I think, as are Chestplate.
My whole channel (with 1000+ subscribers i might add!) got taken down a few years ago purely for a few dubs that were cut from mixes? The thing that annoys me is the fact they could have just contacted me and I would have gladly taken them off, but no.
Anywhooooo back on topic yeah the youtube copyright stuff is shit, as is soundclouds now.

Not being funny uploading a labels dubs is naughty mate. Youd be surprised at what lenghts people go to rip tracks from the net to use. Although you might argue your reaching a target audience and that will help said label/artist get exposure its not always a good thing.

Im going to sound like a right cunt here but I have to be honest no point in lies.

Ive read this thread and all I can see is if I upload a promo clip then a label/artist might not like me. I can live with that. Again if a label uploaded a sample clip as soon as they gave out a dub to all the dj's none of this would even happen. It's a poor thing if fans are getting up promo clips before the labels are.

Impatient I just think as fans we are sick to death of hearing dubs in sets then waiting 6 months to hear anything about it. We are in the 21st century now yet labels still work like we in the 90's.

you dont sound like a cunt, more like an idiot who has no clue what hes talking about.

youre basically saying when i play out a tune it has to be release-ready.

which is not the case in almost all of the cases youre describing. theyre early drafts to be played out and tested by djs, to see the crowd reaction, to see how the mixdown translates, if the arrangement is good etc .. in almost all of the cases youre hearing dubs theyre not properly mastered, because things can change and you dont want to pay the me 10 times..

to cut it short, either djs play out "unready" tunes you will have to wait for - or they download the beatport top 10 and play the same lame set as you do, just 3 weeks prior. which one do you prefer?

- - - Updated - - -

TL: DR (for the whole thread for that matter) just download the fucking sets the tune you want to listen to is in, cut it out and store it on your mp3-player. NOBODY gives a fuck bout that. but DONT upload it to yt or any other site, because its not your fucking property and you have no right to do so - just be grateful you can listen to the newest tunes without having to produce (or doing anything, really) and stop being an unthankful fuk.

- - - Updated - - -

Impatient I just think as fans we are sick to death of hearing dubs in sets then waiting 6 months to hear anything about it. We are in the 21st century now yet labels still work like we in the 90's.

after re-reading your comment, esp that line, you come across even more like an idiot tbh. you just have NO clue about the music industry or music production and yet think youre right. ?! wtf

you ever heard that someone might even take 6 months to even MAKE a tune, yet MIX IT DOWN for release? get mastering? you ever heard of a thing called "release schedule"? distributors? press releases? physical releases? even getting a fucking flipside that fits ...

people like presha and chris bmt have told you the ways, you still think theyre taking the piss and keep you waiting just to annoy you? wtf is wrong with the youth of today?

you dont sound like a cunt, more like an idiot who has no clue what hes talking about.

youre basically saying when i play out a tune it has to be release-ready.

which is not the case in almost all of the cases youre describing. theyre early drafts to be played out and tested by djs, to see the crowd reaction, to see how the mixdown translates, if the arrangement is good etc .. in almost all of the cases youre hearing dubs theyre not properly mastered, because things can change and you dont want to pay the me 10 times..

to cut it short, either djs play out "unready" tunes you will have to wait for - or they download the beatport top 10 and play the same lame set as you do, just 3 weeks prior. which one do you prefer?

- - - Updated - - -

TL: DR (for the whole thread for that matter) just download the fucking sets the tune you want to listen to is in, cut it out and store it on your mp3-player. NOBODY gives a fuck bout that. but DONT upload it to yt or any other site, because its not your fucking property and you have no right to do so - just be grateful you can listen to the newest tunes without having to produce (or doing anything, really) and stop being an unthankful fuk.

- - - Updated - - -

after re-reading your comment, esp that line, you come across even more like an idiot tbh. you just have NO clue about the music industry or music production and yet think youre right. ?! wtf

you ever heard that someone might even take 6 months to even MAKE a tune, yet MIX IT DOWN for release? get mastering? you ever heard of a thing called "release schedule"? distributors? press releases? physical releases? even getting a fucking flipside that fits ...

people like presha and chris bmt have told you the ways, you still think theyre taking the piss and keep you waiting just to annoy you? wtf is wrong with the youth of today?

I prefer to hear sets that have track's available to buy or with dubs that are very close to release. Over the years ive just got sick and tired of waiting months and months for releases its made me a tired man. Nothing worse than hearing a great promo in a set but it doesn't get released for months by that time you have over heard it and redeem it old even tho its only just been set for release.

Back to my point If the label/artist had a snippet up fans wouldnt need to be putting up pre clips to find out about the track. Because that's the reason most fans put up pre clips to find out information on it.

Its just bizzare how the promo track can be online in a dj's latest podcast but not as a single snippet on the artist/lables site. So if fans upload that snippet they are to blame for killing the soundclip hype not the dj who originally uploaded that mix with the clip in.

Thank you groelle, just thank you :)

nah mate, thank you for putting out amazing music and bringing another level of professionalism and experience to the berlin and german scene in general. much appreciated!

i was just on an elaborative mind earlier and thought people should understand the topics discussed..

- - - Updated - - -

and a last one to timmy.

just read my previous statements. just because djs put it in mixes or play it out, doesnt mean its ANYWHERE near release. just appreciate the fact that you can listen to the tune before it actually gets released, and the dj is not just blasting out beatport top 10s.

and yeah, those people get butchered, because they have NO RIGHT to upload those mixes. and anyone that wants to hear the tune, can just listen to it in the mix. theres quite a difference between testing out something in a mix and uploading a high quality snipped to soundcloud.

the main one being (that you just dont seem to get) - that when we (as producers) play our own songs out, we dont have them mastered, because we just cant afford it to master a tune 10 times. and we cant upload an unmastered tune because you know - people like you get upset when things change and generally you just cant present an unfinished product really.

/forgot to send of the reply lol.

I prefer to hear sets that have track's available to buy or with dubs that are very close to release. Over the years ive just got sick and tired of waiting months and months for releases its made me a tired man. Nothing worse than hearing a great promo in a set but it doesn't get released for months by that time you have over heard it and redeem it old even tho its only just been set for release.

Back to my point If the label/artist had a snippet up fans wouldnt need to be putting up pre clips to find out about the track. Because that's the reason most fans put up pre clips to find out information on it.

Its just bizzare how the promo track can be online in a dj's latest podcast but not as a single snippet on the artist/lables site. So if fans upload that snippet they are to blame for killing the soundclip hype not the dj who originally uploaded that mix with the clip in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited:

Shouldn't of even got involved in this thread. People are always going to be putting up pre-clips always. I don't think the fans do it on purpose to hurt the labels/artist its just we are all impatient. We want things now rather than later its natural human instinct.

well that went from really informative to really really stupid. Well done to all the sensible contributions.

well that went from really informative to really really stupid. Well done to all the sensible contributions.

genuinely worried for humanity because of this thread

the level of stupid is worrying

it upsets me that people might share the same opinions as people like timmy here. If you heard a band live, playing a song from a new album that wasnt due for release anytime soon, you wouldnt even consider the fact that it was bullshit that there was no music for it online, whys it different for dnb?

Back
Top Bottom