Youtube channel for classic drum n bass?

H

hydr0

After being on channels for classic dubstep like TheWhilomBass, DubstepClassicsHD(who's renamed himself 'I am growing stronger') and Deep Medi, I wanted to know if similar channels for drum n bass exist? If you have any to recommend, I'd like to hear em! Channels that have older tunes alongside newer ones that stay with the classic style.

Just good stuff to listen to

Thanks for the channels! Just started listening on Skank n Bass, exactly what I was looking for! Will check out Phantom Audio and I-Witness later

Thanks for the channels! Just started listening on Skank n Bass, exactly what I was looking for! Will check out Phantom Audio and I-Witness later
SkankandBass is more upfront dnb but still worthwhile, PhantomAudio83 and I-Witness are the one's you're looking for the most, although I'd be wary of the former as the guy behind that account's recently been uploading lots of weird conspiracy shit you might not want to get sucked into :lol:

SkankandBass is more upfront dnb but still worthwhile, PhantomAudio83 and I-Witness are the one's you're looking for the most, although I'd be wary of the former as the guy behind that account's recently been uploading lots of weird conspiracy shit you might not want to get sucked into :lol:
Or maybe I do. Also have been meaning to ask this, but how do you add stuff like the image underneath all your posts? Or like Gloxxy's Cyanide and Happiness gif? Looked around in profile but I don't know what the setting is called

Hover over your name top right, click on Signature and set a signature :2thumbs:

Sort of, I mean the "real" neuro that purists would be talking about would be pretty exclusively stuff that sounds like the early Virus era, or at an absolute push any Virus / Quarantine / Audio Blueprint / Underfire / DSCI4 tunes that came out before 2002

"Neuro" made by people who call it "neuro" and don't just call it DnB is and has been a pretty pale reflection of that stuff at worst, or a whole new perversion of it altogether at worst. To be fair the original soldiers never helped their case much by putting out albums like Original Dr Shade or indeed pretty much anything anyone in that corner of the scene did until Noisia showed up, were sick for a bit and then fell off hard when Phace and co showed up.

My views here are, as always, highly subjective and open to attack from all sides, but that is what distinguishes the two really.

Compare a Mefjus record to Ed Rush & Optical - Lifespan and you will get the distinction loud and clear.

Compare a Mefjus record to Ed Rush & Optical - Lifespan and you will get the distinction loud and clear.
yeah i've listened to a few ed rush and optical tracks but if anything, the newer neuro sounds much different. "pure" neuro just sounds like slightly modified techstep, definitely not to the point where a new genre has to be made. i like noisia and mefjus and the other producers who are making "fake" neuro, i guess.

so the original neuro producers before noisia came along are to blame for the confusion. listening to lifespan made me think about how it used the warbling bass sparingly, where neuro now would use that in some drop, four times as loud.

None of the original wave of "neuro" producers probably ever even heard the words "neuro" or "neurofunk". It was coined by a music critic with a very peripheral connection to the scene who kind of used it to describe the landscape of post-No-U-Turn / Emotif stuff, when all the Amens were being replaced by breaks made from single hits and the big grimey reeces and sub basses were being taken over by a leaner more midrange sound.

Truth be told he also meant it to cover tunes like "Shadowboxing" and some of the later Source Direct stuff which I don't think anyone would ever call neuro nowadays.

Either way, as a term we are stuck with it, and even if it wasn't a very useful word to be stuck with the piece that gave us the word is a good read still.

http://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing...ontinuum_5_neurofunk-drum_n_bass-versus-speed

Going to copy in a post I wrote for another thread here recently because I think it is relevant to this discussion tbh:

"Thing is, I am enough of a dance music nerd and armchair historian to know that categorising music is a neccesary and natural reaction to having vast tides of music to sift through and classify, and I also know that each of the various strains of music has its roots in scenes, selections, and periods, even record shops and critics etc, its just that the current trend in dnb to classify everything as "neurofunk, jump up, jungle or liquid" kind of erases an awful lot of history and reduces the impact of lots of the finest music in the genre that might not be easily classifiable, and that is down to things like digital sales, soundcloud, and the process of digital tagging and searching.

It seems the way to success with *sales* now is to make music that conforms really closely to the common denominator of any one of those four categories, and to build a customer base from the sort of person who goes on Beatport and literally searches for the "neurofunk" top 50.

This is REALLY not helpful for the long term viability of this music as a whole, and it has resulted in a tidal wave of horrible music cluttering up even the best record labels."

Back
Top Bottom