Your Thoughts/Reviews: Rob Papen's Predator

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
Because nothing puts me in the Holiday spirit like buying something for...myself, I've been reading up on Rob Papen's Predator and found it on sale for $149. I demoed it and was pretty impressed for the short time I spent with it. Does anyone here own it, and if so, what are its pros/cons?

I currently own Massive and wanted to make sure Predator was just as good (if not better(?)) before I laid down the cash.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Oh man where do I start! I have two "go to" synths in my aresenal, NI Massive, and Predator!

It is an awesome piece of kit! Especially good for creating tearing lead riffs and ambient soundscapes! I couldn't live without it!

Oh man where do I start! I have two "go to" synths in my aresenal, NI Massive, and Predator!

It is an awesome piece of kit! Especially good for creating tearing lead riffs and ambient soundscapes! I couldn't live without it!

Nice!! From the sound samples offered on the Predator site and some Predator soundset sites, I really like the diversity of sounds. I was really curious about the built in arpeggiator. Do you find yourself using it quite a bit? I think packing a double threat of Massive and Predator will give me enough synth power to dominate a small country (Watch out Tuvalu!!).

Thanks for your input Mr. Fletch, I definitely value your opinion.

Last edited:
In all honesty I very rarely go to the arpeggiator. The gate feature is very useful tho! Also I find the ADSR envelopes very responsive and accurate!

And to be honest, some of the presets that it comes with can be awesome with some tweaking! The PWM feature on individual oscillators is another good feature!

Nice!! From the sound samples offered on the Predator site and some Predator soundset sites, I really the diversity of sounds. I was really curious about the built in arpeggiator. Do you find yourself using it quite a bit? I think packing a double threat of Massive and Predator will give me enough synth power to dominate a small country (Watch out Tuvalu!!).

Thanks for your input Mr. Fletch, I definitely value your opinion.

you sound like one of them 419 nigerian scammers lol

predator is so good its almost cheating to use it. i like to load up a saw wave in my sampler and get my sounds that way, i got rather discouraged and a little scared after i tried predator. never tried massive so dont know how it compares.

Predator is a mad plugin, really great for creating those filthy lead sounds and basses. I recently run Predator through a custom patch in Guitar Rig and damn, that sounded tight as hell!

to be honest i didn't really like it. I prefer albino, it was a bit more complex but seems more intuitive. devils advocate and all that

always thought albino made great dreamy sounds or maybe that was what i used it for. Massive is fantastic but i barely know what i'm doing it certainly keeps me out of trouble

can someone tell me the main difference between predator and albino? are there some other features or is it just a mather of the usability?

can someone tell me the main difference between predator and albino? are there some other features or is it just a mather of the usability?

Hmm.....OK

Albino has what is essentially 4 oscillators which can be switched between digital or analog whereas Predator has three all analog oscillators. Albino has a modulation matrix which can be very difficult to understand, even if you want to do something simple like routing a modulation to an LFO, whereas Predator is alot more user friendly when it comes to modulation. I find the built in FX on Predator to be much more solid than the Albino counterparts too.

But what it comes down to mainly for most people is it's UI, it's how it looks, and feels thats most important to some people, and I prefer Predator.

Hmm.....OK

Albino has what is essentially 4 oscillators which can be switched between digital or analog whereas Predator has three all analog oscillators. Albino has a modulation matrix which can be very difficult to understand, even if you want to do something simple like routing a modulation to an LFO, whereas Predator is alot more user friendly when it comes to modulation. I find the built in FX on Predator to be much more solid than the Albino counterparts too.

But what it comes down to mainly for most people is it's UI, it's how it looks, and feels thats most important to some people, and I prefer Predator.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom