Your favourite subgenre?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by YOUNG TUNA, Mar 19, 2008.

?

What do you fancy the most?

1. Ragga Jungle

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Tech/Neuro/Dark/Industrial

16 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Wobble/Jump up

31 vote(s)
    42.5%
  4. Liquid Funk

16 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. Oldschool/Hardcore

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Mainstream

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. YOUNG TUNA

YOUNG TUNA IT'S ME BITCHES

So it's a poll, I'm really curious whats the most popular subgenre now 2008. Here's some little explanations if you dont really care about chatting and debating about the numerous subgenres of dnb. OR IS DNB A SUBGENRE OF JUNGLE? I dunno it's so confusing, well correct me if I'm wrong.

Ragga Jungle - Lot's of amen, reaggea kinda vocals. Congo Natty, Ragga Twins, Rebel MC etc.

Tech/Neuro/Dark/Industrial - AGGRO DNB, makes you puke blood sometimes. Limewax, The Sect, Noisia etc.

Wobble/Jump up - Happy wobbely steppa that makes you grin. Some call it clownstep. Clipz, Mutated Forms, Modified Motion etc.

Liquid Funk - Lighter sound of dnb with chilled out melodies, goes well with a glass of red wine when the sun is shining. Hospital Records, High Contrast, Calibre etc.

Oldschool/Hardcore - Early 1990 stuff, chipmunk vocals and amen you knows it.

Mainstream - Well basically the rest that doesnt go into any category I dunno, like Pendulum, Subfocus etc?

Feel free to whine about missing subgenres and others things you dont see right. Anyways thats how I see the big picture atm. I think jump up/wobble is gonna get most of the votes somehow, atleast most of the mixes in mix section seems to be jump up and a lot of DJ's and producers do it nowdays.

I'm a Tech/Neuro/Dark/Industrial junkie all the way, thou I do enjoy a good wobbely binniz every now and then :teeth:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  2. Badmarsh

Badmarsh Birmingham Crew

Imo - ClownStep doesnt really exist anymore it "was" that disjointed Gdub - deliverence ep / Total science sound a few years back.a bit clunky and unimaginative like sum1 with writers block releasing half hearted music and hopin 4 the best lol

any1 agree?

3. DJ SCUBA

DJ SCUBA Vinyl Addict

Im more of a Wobble/Jump up fan myself... Don't get me wrong, I like most of the other types, but jump up's the one that keeps me most interested...

I wish the word was never created... and anyway its one of the snowball - averlanche cases, Dylan was the one who said the crowd looked like clowns dancing to Andy C and Shimon's body rock and somehow over course its got linked to Wobble / Jump up.

IMO - body rock is a very clowny tune, I've never heard another tune like it...

4. thumpah

thumpah Member

wobble but cant say wobble is the same as clowstep thier both subgenres under jump up.

right now there are a few jump up dj's/producers who are on top of thier game.

5. YOUNG TUNA

well i remember early aphrodite being labeled as "jump up" and wobble wasnt even discovered yet, and the first clipz tunes received a lot of hate from the "soldiers" mostly in doa if i recall, being labeled as clownstep and shit with the "neurofunk or stfu" attitude but i dunno... we've come a long way baby

6. DJOctane

DJOctane Planetdnblive.co.uk

I voted wobble because thats what i play, but ragga jungle and liquid are equally deserving of a vote because thats what i listen to....if that makes any sense?

7. Da'DGee

Da'DGee Scousebuster

I voted for "Tech/Neuro/Dark/Industrial".

8. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

whats this Tuna? no oldschool?

edit: i see it now.

Its all about Barry White hits for me right now!

never gonna give you up bebe

9. YOUNG TUNA

:teeth:

[​IMG]

10. Prospekt

Prospekt Active Member

I like it but Don't Be Silly??? I can actually imagine it being played in a Circus with clowns squeezing their red noses to it:rosie:

11. souljah

souljah liquid lover...

liquid funk for moi

12. Barnzee

Barnzee OmniaInNumerisSitaSunt

I'm a techstep/neuro man. However, I love liquid, so i cudda voted either way i guess. Most of my collection is neuro though.

13. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

its all about the wobblin bizzniz for me!lol

14. thomfletcher

thomfletcher Member

Liquid mostly but i like a few darker tunes.

15. badapple

badapple New Member

It's all about opinions but for me if you've heard any good tapes from 93/94 then you would vote for Ragga and Oldschool everytime.

I got into the scene at 16 (2000) and rolled with the currents sounds for years. It was only when i stepped back and realised what shite was being peddled that i started exploring old jungle.

These days i rarely spin anything released after 95.

If you are relatively new to the scene i strongly advise you to download an old Dj Ron set circa 93/94 and just sit back in awe at the true spirit and vibe of jungle music.

I'm not saying there is no good new jungle. But i do feel that things probably went a bit tits up when a concious decision was made to change the direction of the music. This took things off of their natural path and i think the music suffered for it.

16. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

[​IMG]

17. danfreeman1

danfreeman1 Active Member

pretty much all of the vinyls i own are jump so that kinda gives u the answer

18. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

im more of a techstep man myself but i do listen to alot of like hazard n stuff like that...i do like to listen to liquid when iv got a few mates rnd avin a party or summin

19. David Bass

David Bass Neuro-Technologist

no surprise to see so far Jump Up is at 40.63%.... :rolleyes:

20. mansell

mansell husk basically*

I love all kinds...
    I love to have a rave to jump up/wobble, and listen to some dirty dirty dark bass.. but I also really love my liquid funk!!