Your DJ Bookings?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by D Double U, Jan 12, 2010.

1. D Double U

D Double U FQ Sessions

Hi guys and girls, I just got a phone call for what is I hope my last booking this month and I was wondering...

How often do any of you get booked, and if its lots is it affecting your life at all?

2. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

i was all over the place before chrimbo, oxford, blackpool, liverpool manc etc, its not too bad when they are spaced out but if they are in a cluster it gets to me man, i like to prepare for a set, to get some fresh tunes and stuff, i dont much like playin sets/tunes/DD i have played before i think it can get a bit stale. and it hard to get new stuff in the space of 24 hours.

the only other factor is gettin booked on a fri far away, like when i played in oxford i had to take a day off work, i know its not a biggy but i dont get alot u see...

but all in all i facking larve it man, cant get enuff of it, got my first on the 13th feb, should be shweet!!

3. dj-dusty

dj-dusty Member

Well i dont get alot of bookings so it dont really affect me that badly and i doubt it would if i was getting booked lots either.

I have a very flexible job that i can pretty much pick and choose the hours i want to do and what days i want off.

But dave mate if your getting overloaded on bookings and think its too much.........GIVE EM TO ME!!! lol

4. D Double U

D Double U FQ Sessions

You see traveling is a pain for the comparison of the fee I get...Makes it close to not worth it and break even on spendings when I do something far away.

Joey - Im the same I cant play the same set and tunes night after night so im always sorting out my Serato libary and looking at harmonics and potentials.

Max - I love playing but the amount of effort vs my fee's for drum and bass makes it tireing and brings problems (lost my long term gf to it!) R&B/House is a different matter, the fee is always worth it vs effort ;)

8-5 job, 15 hours a week HND, promoteing/flyering, the Djin...for me its all begining to get affected by each other a little, just wondered if and how others deeal with it really.

5. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

It varies really. I'm hoping this year will pick up a bit. Already had a few enquiries. Just gotta hope it keeps up

6. dj-dusty

dj-dusty Member

Thats pretty savage mate.

Well dunno what to say really, its your choice really, only you know how much you can take.

Thing is you do rnb, house and dnb so maybe your juggling too many genres and getting too many bookings that you really dont need.

Do you actually enjoy rnb sets? coz if not then just nit em off

7. D Double U

D Double U FQ Sessions

I take all paid dnb who wouldnt, i love it too much, i rarely turn down anything which i probably my problem.

Of course i dont enjoy the R&B but the only seem to come about in the summer, house too really but i can get into that, but they are £130-150 a hour bookings at several hours a time :s

Others have got to be in a similar boat...

8. tr7 kid

tr7 kid Member

Took the words straight out of my mouth!

9. dj-dusty

dj-dusty Member

Well yeh the money is nice, if its taking you away from what you love then i think nit it off.

I would much rather do without the money from house and rnb sets and enjoy dnb more.

Just do the occasional house and rnb set and more dnb.

10. djrowney

djrowney G13 RECORDS/SMOKESCREEN

shit loads of travelling
    shit loads of sleep loss
    not shit loads of money but u gotta start somewhere

11. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

the money dont really bother me, but it i am off miles away to play pertol is all i ask for really, anything else is a bonus....

the chedder will come Rowney, your doin it right lad.

12. BoudiCat

BoudiCat SERIAY.

joey where in oxford were you? what club?

13. Ray Rampage

Ray Rampage Active Member

Know you hurt Dave, I cant really do bookings unless they pay ok, plus I don't drive so that's becomes hard at times.

Painter by trade, do graphic design work part time (evenings), RAM work part time and I have three kids.

I hardly practice much these days, only when I know I have bookings coming up.

I'm lucky I have a good women lol, things will be changing for me soon as I have a new job lined up for March, less hours and I should be more relaxed as a person.

Think i'll serious look at dropping Graphic design and DJ work that don't pay well, in the next few months. It's a simple really, make music (that gets released), get better DJ bookings!

14. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

I got bare bookings for my bedroom.
    ya dun kno.

15. Ray Rampage

Ray Rampage Active Member

Big in da game Cus, You be dropin da bombs. Get me blud?

16. DJ Oblivion

DJ Oblivion Beast from the East!

bookings have gone a bit silly for me at the mo got like another 5 this month but there all pretty local so i aint gotta do much traveling.. a couple of them are nights i run anyway and another is commercial but thats just wat i do so manage to find find time just about

17. CRoOK

CRoOK Audio Artillery

this year is looking busy! got my and subliminals Audio Artillery nights every other month now which free's me up a bit. we just got a residency at oceana in watford, which will be interesting. hopefully it goes well and then i can get some money off em. 26th of febuary is gonna be ridiculous, supposed to play oceana in watford, then a mates bday at a club in london then Revelation in bournemouth. need a driver as i dont fancy having to drive in between playing.
    I seem to be quite lucky when it comes to getting to play at things but there is no money in it right now. like rowney said you gotta start somewhere, all about just getting your name out there right now.

18. dnbkingz

dnbkingz bollocks

Yeaaaa i get ya cuz.
    The neighbours ain't ready for my bass. :saber:

19. D Double U

D Double U FQ Sessions

Im not looking to make it in music, if I were I know the only way to do this is produce. Im happy running my little night and doing my bookings but Im beginning to falter under the workload of other responsibilities, and wondered if many people deal with similar weights on their shoulders.

20. DJ Oblivion

DJ Oblivion Beast from the East!

well at the moment i run a night called SUB FUSION which is mainly dnb but also dubstep, jungle and other styles i incorprate on the odd one.. then i run a monthly jungle night called WARRIOR JUNGLE and also an under 18s dnb/dubstep night called bassment and between them and djing i manage to earn an alright living.. is a hell of a lot of hard work but would rather that than any other job

Also I try to pay everyone who plays that way people generally pay me when i play at there nights