your all going to hate this thread.

CDJ's seem the best bet at the moment. i just fucking love mixing on turntbles though. i could have best of both worlds.

I'm still not keen on Traktor. I feel like I can't get into a vibe when I use it.
I hate staring at a screen as well. I prefer to look at the grooves. Also doing B2B's with people who use Traktor is pretty shit but they all want to plug their laptops in which means that the music has to stop for a few minutes which is gheyd

Not so. Just do it one channel at a time. Thats what i did new years eve. They played out their last tune on channel 1 while i plugged everything in (expect channel 1), then played my tune on channel 2, whilst the intro was running, plugged channel 1 in. And then from then on, anyone who wanted to play vinyl could just hit THRU and it'd bypass serato entirely. Left serato plugged in all night so people would have a choice.

Not so. Just do it one channel at a time. Thats what i did new years eve. They played out their last tune on channel 1 while i plugged everything in (expect channel 1), then played my tune on channel 2, whilst the intro was running, plugged channel 1 in. And then from then on, anyone who wanted to play vinyl could just hit THRU and it'd bypass serato entirely. Left serato plugged in all night so people would have a choice.

This! It's easier than people think!

Not quite sure what you were doing but my 18 months on traktor scratch with cdj's never had that issue?

well i use terpits set up alot and he has serato... i drag and drop and all of the a sudden its in the middle of the tune, then if your not careful and press back it goes to track 2 of the timecodes and omfggggg longest

CDJ's seem the best bet at the moment. i just fucking love mixing on turntbles though. i could have best of both worlds.

That's your answer. A cheap pair of CDJs to get you started and Traktor A10. It has to be A10 really 'cos at the same price as the SL2 it will take both your turntables and both your CDJs. If you wanted to run that through Serato you'd have to spend another £200-300 for the SL4 and you'd still only get a fraction of the functionality you do on the A10.

Let me make the decision even easier..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traktor-Scratch-Pro-2-A10-/151003102358?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Digital_Vinyl_Systems&hash=item23287c7c96

Yours for under £300 within 24 hours

Last edited:
apples and oranges,

personally I'm a traktor user and have never felt the need to try serato.
From what people say, serato is noob proof. But if you can setup serato, you can setup traktor.

Jono.p raises great points, and I havent really seen any movement from the Serato camp to try and claw back the lost ground to traktor. All these remix decks and loop 'tings seem a bit overkill at first, but as you use the software you'll try new things and experiment to get the best workflow for you.

e.g. mapping shorcuts. Say you want to stack up a few commands to your spacebar, i.e. load deck A with the current tune in the browser and switch views. All that is easily done in traktor, and as far as im aware, it aint that easy in serato.

People bitch about unprofessional DJ's turning up with traktor, there are plenty of professional guys with sterling booth etiquette, myself included. As far as controllers go, anything that removes me from the laptop keyboard and the dreaded serato face has surely got to be a good thing!

As far as controllers go, anything that removes me from the laptop keyboard and the dreaded serato face has surely got to be a good thing!

traktor-kontrol-x1.jpg

Changed my life

seems a bit insane to go for CDJs when you already have turntables.

and unless you get one of the newest cdjs with rekordbox or usbs then youre gonna get pissed off with CDs.

seems a bit insane to go for CDJs when you already have turntables.

and unless you get one of the newest cdjs with rekordbox or usbs then youre gonna get pissed off with CDs.

Just makes sense with the playing out etc

Nah man, borrow a set for a weekend, or even rent them and you'll see how easy it is. Go with a DVS then you get the best of both worlds.

how easy on cd's it is? when u play out do u still use tt's matty? u saying DVS is harder than cd's

how easy on cd's it is? when u play out do u still use tt's matty? u saying DVS is harder than cd's

Nah not at all. I use 3 CDJ's when i'm out and in a weird way I find it easier. One CD per tune, no worrying about skipping needles, dust, or any of that shit. I use 3 TT with Traktor when i'm at home and love it. If I didnt have to set it up / take my MAC to a club i'd do that instead. I just want to play music, not fuck around with wires.

^ all youll need to get used to is the jog wheel and pitch sensitivity and youll never forget how to use them

^ This is one problem with owning CDJ's id imagine, you have to burn EVERYTHING. I only burn what I need before a set.

Its mainly the navigation through the little wheel by the display i have problems with. Then again only time ive hopped on cdj's its been my mates who's had a huge hard drive plugged in, so thats why its taken ages to find tunes. Using cd's i reckon i'd find it easier.

Speaking from my horrific experiences from using Traktor out, I'd not recommend it tbh. All the people saying its a piece of piss can suck a dick (and clearly never get booked). There is so many things in clubs that just aren't the same as home - One dodgy phono and you're fucked.

I'll hold my hands up and say that half the time its been my fault, after having a few beers, cables all over the place, Traktor set for internal mode blah blah, when it works its a great piece of software.

One thing I learnt recently, after 2.5 years using it out is that you HAVE to recalibrate numerous times for it work. I didnt know this and tbh Im surprised it ever fucking worked. and if you look at the Audio 8, they use so many different colours for connections, if you put a cable round the wrong way the deck spins backwards ... Again, after some beers, in the dark - this can be a fucking mission.

Sooooo, like Matty does - Traktor for home . CDJs for clubs.

Back
Top Bottom