YOU, THE MORNING AFTER -- sounding good enough?

maschinistom

VIP Junglist
salve seniori!

this is my latest creation ... I was planning to do a less sophisticated song with plain vocals ..
also worked on drums totally different this time as I had some problems in drum clarity after the summer.

my old problem is that tracks in my DAW sound much better compared to after export (for O8 mastering)!
Less lively, less clear, lower in volume (after export). It's marginal but there is a difference which I have never got rid of since I started making music again some 2 years ago. it's a pain in the ar*e tbh.

last night I did at least 7-8 exports in different settings, every time the same issue with some slight differences though.
please check the below 2 version of WAV 96k 32 bit afloat exports - one is normalised one not. the normalised one is clearly louder and punchier but slightly pumping ...

final version:
0MR9J9U.gif

Last edited:
holy shit i just only listened to the unormalized and i love this track! best from you i have heard. super exciting, everything clicking! i will give the normalized a listen tomorrow, dont know how to sound much better than the one i just heard. drums are absolutely lovely as well. thanks for this one

holy shit i just only listened to the unormalized and i love this track! best from you i have heard. super exciting, everything clicking! i will give the normalized a listen tomorrow, dont know how to sound much better than the one i just heard. drums are absolutely lovely as well. thanks for this one

thanks man! I'm glad this one doesn't sound too bad :2thumbs:
pls let me know what you think of normalised vs. non-normalised in comparison when in free minute.
cheers!

Sounding good Tom. The normalised one sounds slightly brighter to me. Never really had this problem with exporting, which DAW are you using?

Sound quality is pretty good in both to be honest, really nice track.

Sounding good Tom. The normalised one sounds slightly brighter to me. Never really had this problem with exporting, which DAW are you using?

Sound quality is pretty good in both to be honest, really nice track.

hello rounder, how have you been lately?
thanks for your feedback. I use maschine studio software 2.6 as my DAW.
have you never noticed a tiny difference after exporting tracks? what DAW are you using?
any new tracks in the pipeline?

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

All good over here, thanks for asking.

have you never noticed a tiny difference after exporting tracks? what DAW are you using?

Not to the point that i'd ever worry about it :) Its too easy to get caught up in the pursuit of sonic perfection only for someone to end up listening to it streamed from Soundcloud on a pair of Apple earbuds anyway. I'm using Ableton and as long as everything is still relative when exported I'm happy.

any new tracks in the pipeline?

Just downloaded the competition sample pack and will be getting involved in that.

The normalised one is better man! But drums sound weak man :(
Like all the elements in the track man keep it up! :2thumbs:

first I thought u were joking about the drums .. but on 2nd thought I occasionally added some more shakers and hats in the current version (OCT17). thanks for your input bro! :cool:
and thanks for reconfirming NORMALISED sounds a bit better. cheers !:2thumbs:

Maschini you're killing it with your latest work! I really don't have anything to even poke at on this one; your level of production far exceeds my understanding of this type of track. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks bro! glad you like this one. I have some tiny changes in mind but basically this one is close to its final version me thinking :cool:

I like the minimalist approach to production on this, and the melody and vox are great. I think the drums might come in a little flat if you brought it into a typical liquid mix (thats where I always struggle with liquid drums), are the kicks actually varying in volume or something or is that just the shaker? I have some problems on exporting sometimes it can be a real salvage mission to make the sound consistent.

I like the minimalist approach to production on this, and the melody and vox are great. I think the drums might come in a little flat if you brought it into a typical liquid mix (thats where I always struggle with liquid drums), are the kicks actually varying in volume or something or is that just the shaker? I have some problems on exporting sometimes it can be a real salvage mission to make the sound consistent.

Interesting feedback, thanks!
I kept the drums in this one quite simple to avoid running into mixing issues as I have a few times in other tracks lately. Are u sure the kick is fluctuating? It’s defo not in my daw, note sure though after mastering in the SC versions. I was definitely aiming for this rhythmic wave effect in the beat/drums.
Cheers bro!

Very stereo kick is very stereo ;) good job
Maybe for the claps alternate between a shorter and longer decay? [one without the slap back delay followed by one with the slapback delay]
Overall very cool tune man!

Very stereo kick is very stereo ;) good job
Maybe for the claps alternate between a shorter and longer decay? [one without the slap back delay followed by one with the slapback delay]
Overall very cool tune man!

Haha .. yeah, the stereo-ised stereo kick, u are right man! I’ll look at your clap suggestion though, that sounds interesting, Cheers for ur feedback bro!!

final version:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom