"You cant only play drum and bass"

DjIon

I recently sent in a mix-tape to a local pirate radio station that plays most kinds of dance music (apart from happy hardcore or mainstream house) The tape was pretty much all drum and bass as a typical set for me would be.

I got a call back from them a few weeks later saying they'd really like to give me a set but want more variety in the set. I usually use the whole range of drum and bass (Jump up, Electro, Liquid ect) but clearly need to use some different genres.

Im not bad at DJing with breakbeat and dubstep, but its very new ground for me doing a set with all 3.

Any tips and ways to make dnb mix better with other genres?

dubstepblacknwhiteresize.jpg

It's cool to kinda open your horizons to different genre's but don't allow them to make you change your whole preference of style and mixing - YOUR THE DJ.

we do dubstep so that obv comes to mind. but otherwise bust out some jungle techno and oldskool hardcore at the beginning. that or some proper dub Tubby style

I'm confused at peoples responses to this when the question asked was;

Any tips and ways to make dnb mix better with other genres?

To answer your question this does take a bit fair bit of practice to make sound good so you'll have to stick at. There is a thread with a shed load of Dnb tunes that break down into either Electro/Dubstep/Breakbeat somewhere so that'll be a good starting point help ease the transistions.

I'll find it for you now (y)

haha yeh he wasn't asking how to fuck em off.. it aint selling out because they've offered him a show but asked him to play a bit more varied.. I sometimes ask DJs to play more variation at my nights so that i dont get an hour of jump up or woteva.. thats the way it goes

The question was asked because he was being asked to play other types of music. They still need reminding who the dj is!

haha yeh he wasn't asking how to fuck em off.. it aint selling out because they've offered him a show but asked him to play a bit more varied.. I sometimes ask DJs to play more variation at my nights so that i dont get an hour of jump up or woteva.. thats the way it goes

Would you book Hazard and ask him to do that tho?

Everyones got their own sound if the demo they provide doesnt fit the night then they shouldnt be there, thats the music they know best and entertain with...on the flip surely you only book people that would suit your night, not a decent dj and then ask him to switch it up?

for starters i'd work on ur turntable skills, breakdowns, spinbacks, a bit of scratching, between different genres, try and get a decent flow between genres, then study ur tunes and find points where it's slightly easier to switch to another genre, always hard to explain music with words but some tunes slow down into the breakdown like noisia - stigma, others have bits of silence that make curing a lil easier, e.g d for danger, the lil gap before the drum roll starts for the drop

by all means use tunes that change tempo but alot of them have been rinsed, and u don't want to become over reliant on a handful of vinyl

Would you book Hazard and ask him to do that tho?

Everyones got their own sound if the demo they provide doesnt fit the night then they shouldnt be there, thats the music they know best and entertain with...on the flip surely you only book people that would suit your night, not a decent dj and then ask him to switch it up?

Wise words

Basically, learn to mix it up a little, it will make you a better DJ anyway, and get a slot.

OR

Tell the to fuck off your the DJ and dont get the slot

Hazard is already a well known DJ, so your point is irrelevant, people know his vibe and book his because of this. Its a bit different when its an unknown DJ and its for a pirate radio station. They control the station and what music comes from it so they can ask what they want, IMO

Back
Top Bottom