You are not so smart

Sweaty Teddy

Nob'ed
VIP Junglist
Anyone read this book? started reading it today and it's pretty nuts. All about human psychology, how certain things influence are subconscious which in turn influences are conscious self in ways you don't even realise.

An entertaining illumination of the stupid beliefs that make us feel wise.

You believe you are a rational, logical being who sees the world as it really is, but journalist David McRaney is here to tell you that you're as deluded as the rest of us. But that's OK- delusions keep us sane. You Are Not So Smart is a celebration of self-delusion. It's like a psychology class, with all the boring parts taken out, and with no homework.

Based on the popular blog of the same name, You Are Not So Smart collects more than 46 of the lies we tell ourselves everyday, including:

Dunbar's Number - Humans evolved to live in bands of roughly 150 individuals, the brain cannot handle more than that number. If you have more than 150 Facebook friends, they are surely not all real friends.
Hindsight bias - When we learn something new, we reassure ourselves that we knew it all along.
Confirmation bias - Our brains resist new ideas, instead paying attention only to findings that reinforce our preconceived notions.
Brand loyalty - We reach for the same brand not because we trust its quality but because we want to reassure ourselves that we made a smart choice the last time we bought it.

Packed with interesting sidebars and quick guides on cognition and common fallacies, You Are Not So Smart is a fascinating synthesis of cutting-edge psychology research to turn our minds inside out.

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Have you ever notice people use universal truths to manipulate the masses? They just seem to lack in the details. Hmmm.........

Papa,
I think kermit is so old he needs a colonoscopy. His subconscience is screaming out survive. Kermit dose not want to die from cancer when Mitt Romney is going to cut off all public money that supports Sesame Street and other Jim Henson productions. Kermit has people who depend on him. "No! I won't let them down." He would say. Huzza Kermit for doing the responsible thing by seeing a well trained physician.

Teddy

60%
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
i get enough put me downs at work, at home, down the public house and in the comfort of my own car. i'm not prepared to let a book insult me too.

Sweaty Teddy

Nob'ed
VIP Junglist
http://youarenotsosmart.com/all-posts/ I think this website pretty much has all the chapters of the book on there anyway plus more. It's quite interesting, you'll notice how quite a lot of it does actually happen to you (some not all) and there's fuck all you can really do about it and there's some interesting case studies by psychologists which prove that the self delusion does affect most people.

Psychoholic

Quantum Cunt
VIP Junglist
and theres a link! my brother from the void. coming through, lookin clean. hey whats up man, you remember the rapture?
I do, I do, or do I not? Human perception seems flawed, under those conditions none the less even the more. Weird stuff happens when the pouring in your drink becomes above humane standards.

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
my fault, clearly my fault. the shifting sands, unpredictable. it moves in ways we may not know yet. my biggest dream was a mountain of ragu, i climbed down it using scotch tape to save the princess. didnt work, there was no damn princess. i wouldve thought that was obvious. also i was shit wasted when that partuclar thing happened, and so, it goes, sometimes you get in, and everything is a-ok, but then there are those other times when it doesnt and some dickfag idiot jerk wont play ball and reject man from the door. of the club, as you well know buddy haha

Psychoholic

Quantum Cunt
VIP Junglist
my fault, clearly my fault. the shifting sands, unpredictable. it moves in ways we may not know yet. my biggest dream was a mountain of ragu, i climbed down it using scotch tape to save the princess. didnt work, there was no damn princess. i wouldve thought that was obvious. also i was shit wasted when that partuclar thing happened, and so, it goes, sometimes you get in, and everything is a-ok, but then there are those other times when it doesnt and some dickfag idiot jerk wont play ball and reject man from the door. of the club, as you well know buddy haha
Well known indeed, no blame was given though upon intending princess saviour that is. Good vibes came our way and reprogrammed the evening to a whole new thing, a good thing from what I recall.

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
totally buddy we nailed it! nailed it to the tree that night, with the possible but not necessarily definitve exception of, what was our likely to be discounted excursion, to the void. but also not forgetting it because haha ill never forget that shit, ever haha how mong was that haha