York University

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Barnzee, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Barnzee

Barnzee OmniaInNumerisSitaSunt

Just got in! start in september... Any decent drum and bass events in York?

2. boobjunkie

boobjunkie Active Member

there will be bare good shit in freshers week man guarenteed, i'm startin manc in september cant fuckin wait

all the big name djs normally tour the unis during freshers so there will be some heavy line ups guarenteed

3. safety

safety double safety

no* move to real city

4. Yorkshire Tony

Yorkshire Tony Active Member

no sorry mate, Sheffield aint too far away though, normally has some good nights

5. Barnzee

okay cheers. And safety, Fuck you lol It was damn hard getting in to york, i chose it for the university not the city mate :)

6. Yorkshire Tony

Yorkshire Tony Active Member

detonate is a monthly event in Sheffield at the Plug, normally some quality line-ups (for Yorkshire anyway)

7. Blurr

Blurr Wasted Selection

where?

when?

:shrug:

8. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

hahahaha.

bollocks to uni, i gotz a job when i left school at 16, and ive head one ever since!

NEED MONEY!

9. Barnzee

Thats why in ten years you will still be working in spar bruv.

10. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

i lve in Manc its fuckin fat, jus look @ warehouse Project, Platoon,Crash, Drum Music, Metropolis to name but a few, u will have a blast mate

11. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

Big ups you too.
    I got into Southampton.
    I dunno about York but
    when I went to Leeds open day
    there was an advert for the Valve
    sound system on campus:)

12. Barnzee

Nice one Rob, Sounds heavy heavy heavy in southampton mate :)

13. SLow

SLow Quadrospazzed life-glug

Don't you think the exclusivity of a degree has been lost somewhat by the large amounts of people now doing them?

And do you agree to some extent that many, if not most, employers who are recruiting outside of the 'technical' sectors (medicine, sciences, engineering, maths etc) are increasingly looking to vocational qualifications and skills and progress made in previous employment as a guide to a person's ability rather than a piece of paper which basically says they got wasted for a couple of years and could have done better.

Quite a few people I know have been coming out of uni and going into 16k jobs (spar?) that anyone with some A levels could get because there's nothing there for them.

Sorry to people with degrees in worthwhile subjects, credit to you all! My mates at York as it happens, he reports not much happening on the D&B front but lots of rich young pum pum.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  14. savoirfaire

savoirfaire 16

ouch

15. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

:flame:

maybe but at least he wont be a shirty arrogant cunt

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  16. robhicks1

robhicks1 Nuts about Zoo

I hope so lol. Most uni's have DJ/Producer societies. The one in Southampton organises day trips (night trips) to raves in other towns and cities lol.
    Seriously im straight on it:)

17. Barnzee

Im looking to aim high, I study economics, a very competitive subject. In order for me to get a high earning job in such a subject I reckon a Bsc in the subject will be very useful. I.e, if i want to work in policy, or similar positioned jobs, a degree from a decent uni such as york will be neccesary. Sorry you feel this way about degrees, but furthering education is something I believe everybody should be interested in; if people were more educated and more liberal, half of the world's current problems wouldnt have manifested themselves.

18. SLow

Fair point about economics, my cousin is an economist for Kent county council - he said a degree is a basic requirement for the job.

I just have issue with those who go to university and do a course in media studies or psychology for example. I've been told it's not a big step up from A-level work. They get wasted for a couple of years, get a crap grade - with the amount of students taking these courses, anything less than a first won't make you stand out - and then wonder why their job prospects aren't looking any better! Whereas those who left education (to work in spar perhaps?) are on average £55,000 better off at the same point in their lives.

All that said, I would like to get a degree at some point in my life. Not for job prospects, but just to prove to myself that I can sit down, concentrate and really throw myself into something that I enjoy.

As for education and liberal views being the route to international harmony - I agree, however unlikely it is :D

19. Greg P

Greg P Active Member

Sorry SLow,I just deleted a real harsh reply to your post...

I've had expirience with people in my family having mental problems, and I studied psychology so your post hit a bit of a nerve...

Also I got monday morning blues, and hadn't noticed the f.k.a Mishka under your name - (why the name change?) so just thought you were some noob, so yeah...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  20. SLow

I'm not saying we don't need psychologists in this country at all - my uncle developed mental health problems in his 30's - drug related though rather than hereditary (?).

That was just an example, as lots of people from my college who didn't get the grades they wanted and therefore couldn't get on the course they wanted just went with a psychology course as their 'backup' option. Also spoke to a couple others who left with a 2:1 in Psychology and have ended up doing bar work as theres nothing for them - if that's happening then you know something's gone wrong with the system!

I'm just saying the amount of people taking the subject is far greater than the amount of jobs available in the field. And with so many people leaving university with a degree in the subject, it weakens its value somewhat. Didn't mean to insult your personal qualifications at all, although thats what I did - sorry!

You're right I dont have any first-hand experience of universities, but after talking to lots of people with degrees the general consensus was that they would have been better off if they had got a job with good prospects and focused on that for a couple of years.

mISHKA died at 999 posts and I wanted a new identity!