Yelle - Séteint le soleil (Justus remix) *WIP* (Chillstep)

justus

Hi all,

I'd like to hear critics about my tune here. I feel like something's missing, but don't know what. I've tried to add some elements and instruments to the track but I don't like how they sounded with this. I don't really have that much experience and I've only got headphones, so if there's someone lucky enough to have monitors please have a listen! I've only added a maximizer to stereo out to raise up the levels a bit to peak 0db (still think I hear some clipping though). Many people seem to hype Izotope Ozone for mastering purposes, might it be a help to raise levels even more without loosing the dynamics of drums etc? Thanks :)

http://soundcloud.com/justus-van-de-wafel/yelle-s-teint-le-soleil-yu-zee

PS. SoundCould quality sucks.

Love the phasing stab melody, & the vocals sound really nice. Your percussion needs to be heavier, the kick & snare need to be longer so it goes booooom Chaaaaaaah not boh chah. Something acoustic such as piano or guitar would help add a bit of natural flavour, I don't think this needs too many elements though. Quite a lovely tune so far!

Last edited:

Elzerk

00111100 00110011
VIP Junglist
I use izotope ozone for mastering and it does the job, good for single elements too, a bit cpu hog tho. I'd say it could do effects like midrange sweep sounding chord synth that has long attack between kick and snare, if you understand what i mean. Maybe some effects indicating the drums are coming, make the transitions a bit more obvious, except if this is what you was looking for, nothing bad to say about the mixdown, sounding clear to me. Lovely vocals tho!

justus

Love the phasing stab melody, & the vocals sound really nice. Your percussion needs to be heavier, the kick & snare need to be longer so it goes booooom Chaaaaaaah not boh chah. Something acoustic such as piano or guitar would help add a bit of natural flavour, I don't think this needs too many elements though. Quite a lovely tune though!
Thanks! Good point about kick & snare, have to try making them a bit longer to give more booomchaaah ;)

justus

I use izotope ozone for mastering and it does the job, good for single elements too, a bit cpu hog tho. I'd say it could do effects like midrange sweep sounding chord synth that has long attack between kick and snare, if you understand what i mean. Maybe some effects indicating the drums are coming, make the transitions a bit more obvious, except if this is what you was looking for, nothing bad to say about the mixdown, sounding clear to me. Lovely vocals tho!
I'll definitely give a try for long attack chords between main hits, previously just tried to add some elements playing a not or two the same time as kick and snare hit but it just sounded worse. Thanks for the comment!

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Try using your hats to change the feeling of the track instead of a bland tit tit tit tit. Roll them some more or put a little dynamics into them.