DnB Yamaha HS7 vs Fluid Audio FX8

RevoltingPlum

First post! (warning, long, apologies ;) ) TL;DR Below.

So like many I've been producing on headphones for a while now (Sennhesier HD600) and am looking at studio monitors as I cannot really progress without them. My room is fairly small (about 16m2), and unfortunately box shaped (untreated atm), but I've read on here that monitor driver size isn't too much of an issue in relation to room size (any opinions on this would be appreciated).

I've been looking at the Yamaha HS7, JBL LSR305 and I've just come across the Fluid Audio FX8 (budget about £330), which appear to be very good for the price. If anyone has any experience with these monitors that would be nice to know how they perform. I produce jump up primarily, and simply don't have the cash for a sub, so need sufficient low end (hense why I'm considering going up to the 8" driver size).

I am running off an old Harmon/Kardon HK6100, and i literally cannot find any info online as to how good/ bad this amp is, or if it comes with any coloration. Any advice on this would be hugely appreciated.

Lastly, I appreciate the importance of acoustic treatment, but some people are saying it is important to the point where without it there is literally no point buying monitors. Is this the case?

TL;DR
1. Is monitor size an issue when producing in a smallish bedroom (about 16m2)
2. Yamaha HS7 vs JBL LSR305 vs Fluid Audio FX8. Need sufficient low end (produce jump up, no cash for sub)
3. Is the Harman/ Kardon HK6100 good / bad, a bad idea producing on it?
4. Is acoustic treatment important to the point where monitors are useless without it?

If anyone could answer any of these, that would be awesome! Thanks.

Have you had a look at rokits mate? I have a pair and they are really good speakers for mixing and producing (I have a small room as well so the sound does fill out the room, also they are active speakers so you do not need to plug into an amp just need to plug them into a soundcard if you worried about the amp not being good enough)

https://www.djkit.com/krk-speakers/krk-rokit-6-g3.html?cat=237

regarding room treatment I have not got a clue mate but someone on here should be able to help, I have been told acoustic treatment is important but I have never done it and I am happy the way things sound in my room on the monitors

Thanks for the reply!

I literally just got back from PMT and tested the rokit 5 and 6 against the yamaha HS5 and HS7, and jesus man, the HS7 were insane in comparison. HS5 were awful as were both the rokits I thought.

Thanks for the reply!

I literally just got back from PMT and tested the rokit 5 and 6 against the yamaha HS5 and HS7, and jesus man, the HS7 were insane in comparison. HS5 were awful as were both the rokits I thought.

No worries mate, depends what your looking for to be fair, I like rokits cause they are balanced and good sound quality (I don't have a sub either but cause my room is so small the bass booms around it anyway haha) I have heard that Yamaha HS7 are good speakers as well though just never used them myself

Good luck on your search man

Back
Top Bottom