Yamaha hs50 studio monitor bass question

Dj Dirty Pimp

VIP Junglist
Hey,

Just bought a pair of yamaha hs 50 studio monitors after seeing heaps of great reviews. However I'm now also seeing a lot of people say the bass is crap!

This is obviously essential for making DnB.

Does anyone have experience with these monitors?
Cheers

Essentially you want monitors to sound as flat and as neutral as possible, it depends on your room conditions, size of the room, has it been acoustically treated etc etc

Yeh man, these are supposed to be extremely flat, a lot of people say the hs50 is great for mixing as it's very flat but because of that they're not Inspiring. Just wondering if anyone had actually used them :)

have a look at this:
137383d1253773286-if-you-had-choose-yamaha-hs80m-msp7-hs50m-vs-hs80m.jpg

This is the frequency response graph for the yamaha HS series. You might not understand it now, but carry on producing and you'll eventually know what all this means.
You see that peak at the bottom? Thats where the monitors bass response starts to fall off.
Although the HS50M's are rated to 42Hz, theres no way you would hear 42Hz at -30 db. Might aswell call the low end falloff on those monitors at around 60Hz.

So, youre not really gonna hear anything much below 60Hz, which is where ALL of the sub bass hits.

Now look at the graph for the HS80m. Notice the falloff curve for the bass is less steep? Thats because these speakers have larger cones, and so, can produce deeper frequencies at a higher decibel level.
Ever wonder why subs are so big? That's why.

So, if your main goal in production is to make dutty sub bass, go with the HS80m's or something equivalent. The 50's, whilst probably very nice to mix on, do not give you what you want for dnb.

I've learnt this from experience with my own 5" monitors. But instead of going for a set of larger monitors, I went for a sub woofer.

so, the choice is yours. Spend those pennies wisely!

Cheers bro. That makes sense to me, the obvious choice would be a 8inch over 5 then! Looks like the hs50s are going on eBay haha thanks for your help tho!

- - - Updated - - -

So can anyone recommend a decent studio monitor set up for making dnb n bass music, house etc for around 300-400quid or less please!

argh so many choices, one review will say this, another says that hah!

so out of the HS80 or the new HS8 do you know of much difference personally ( if you only know what google can tell you then we know similar haah :) ) thanks!

nope, I think the hs80 is better actually. It has more options for configuration on the rear of the speakers.
There is also the HS7, theyre meant to be pretty good, I cant speak from experience though.

I am a Genelec man at heart , but gotta say Adams sound fantastic. Also the HS50s do but it is true if you want a proper bottom to your monitor setup, roll the monitors bass off at 80 or so and let the subwoofer do the work below. Expensive though, havent gotten a sub myself either.

I've got the HS80's and I've been pretty happy with them over the years - they're brilliant for the price! Of course, if you have the money go for the Adams, or maybe some Genelecs.

Or, if you get the chance, try some different monitors out at a pro audio shop - use a track you're really familiar with to see how it sounds on different speakers.

I've had the HS50's for five years, and the response is flat, but you should invest in the Yamaha sub to go with them. Or, trade them in for some 8 inch monitors. If you want that low end coming through you'll need 8 inch monitors.

Back
Top Bottom